Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ Prices incl. GST?

NZ Prices incl. GST?

Old Jan 26th 2003, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ Prices incl. GST?

I've been trying to gauge prices in NZ, looking at web sites. Some explicitly state that GST is included. Others don't say anything about GST. Is it common for prices to be shown, both on web sites and in shops, inclusive of GST? I've heard that tax is normally added at the till, but is this true?
Old Jan 27th 2003, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Jaffa30 is an unknown quantity at this point

the nz law is that if a price has no indication of GST, then that is the final price (ie. GST has already been added).

So if you see an ad for $9.95 then that is how much you pay.

Some shops in NZ market the GST-exclusive price and then add in tiny words...plus GST.....just to make it seem cheaper for the unwary shopper!
Old Jan 27th 2003, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Jaffa30
the nz law is that if a price has no indication of GST, then that is the final price (ie. GST has already been added).

So if you see an ad for $9.95 then that is how much you pay.

Some shops in NZ market the GST-exclusive price and then add in tiny words...plus GST.....just to make it seem cheaper for the unwary shopper!
Thanks, Jaffa. I was starting to get that impression from the Net. For example, the Woolworths site says that all prices include GST and it made me wonder if shops also usually included GST in their prices.

I was told by a prospective immigration consultant that GST was usually added at the till. It seems that was something else they got wrong.
Old Jan 27th 2003, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

TreborS is an unknown quantity at this point

Your agent should be shot! If s/he really said that most shops add GST at the till then it makes you wonder how much they know about NZ. As poster 1 said virtually ALL shops include GST in their prices. Service providers, such as mechanics, electricians etc will often quote GST seperately but in 99.9% of cases this will be obvious. The law states that if it is not explicitly stated that GST is extra to the quoted price then it has already been included - just as the first poster mentioned.
Old Jan 27th 2003, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by TreborS
Your agent should be shot! If s/he really said that most shops add GST at the till then it makes you wonder how much they know about NZ. As poster 1 said virtually ALL shops include GST in their prices. Service providers, such as mechanics, electricians etc will often quote GST seperately but in 99.9% of cases this will be obvious. The law states that if it is not explicitly stated that GST is extra to the quoted price then it has already been included - just as the first poster mentioned.
Thanks. I must admit that I'm rapidly going off this agent, which has the number 4 in the name. That is at least 2 things, and probably 3, that she's got wrong.