Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ PR applying for Australian PR

NZ PR applying for Australian PR

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:17 am
Just Joined

joeyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation NZ PR applying for Australian PR

Hey guys, I'm pretty new here, and I'm sorry for making another thread like this, pretty sure that someone would have already did.

My issue is, I've lived in NZ for about 4 years, I'm from Malaysia, I got my PR about 2 years back and currenly studying in AUT doing a Diploma in IT.

I was just wondering, was there any chance of me applying for a PR in Australia as I would like to further my studies there, this will be abit different as I would like to apply for a PR by myself, as in, my family would be staying here and I will be going there alone, I'm trying to handle this issue by myself as this would be a great experience for me, doing something so big on my own ( I'm only 18 =))

So wise advice on where I could go to apply or where I could enquire about this and if someone have done this before, please do support me by giving advice.

Thanks for much, hope there will be positive feedback!
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZ PR applying for Australian PR

Once you've got NZ citizenship you don't need to worry about Oz PR as you can live and work in Oz. I think NZ citizenship is still 3 years for you as it only changed last year.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 1:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Once you've got NZ citizenship you don't need to worry about Oz PR as you can live and work in Oz. I think NZ citizenship is still 3 years for you as it only changed last year.
If taking NZ citizenship:

- the 3 year requirement should certainly apply
http://www.citizenship.govt.nz
- they do expect the citizenship applicant to intend to remain living in NZ, but that does not stop one changing one's mind after getting sworn in.
- Malaysian citizenship is at risk upon becoming an NZ citizen, but this may not be important.
- NZ citizens can freely live in Australia but without PR rights:
http://www.nz-oz.gov.au
It is however much easier for NZ citizens to get PR as they can move easily to Australia, start working, and then either go for points tested or employer nomination PR.

If the original poster does not take NZ citizenship:

- he needs to make sure he has a Returning Resident Visa before leaving, and return within the time allowed; and
- Australia will treat him like any other foreigner, there are *no* benefits in Australia for being an NZ PR.

Jeremy
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

joeyy is an unknown quantity at this point

"- he needs to make sure he has a Returning Resident Visa before leaving, and return within the time allowed; and
- Australia will treat him like any other foreigner, there are *no* benefits in Australia for being an NZ PR."

Will I be treated as a local student when studying at a Uni? I'm not really concerned about benefits, I just want to know if the cost for my Uni will be the same as local students if I hold a NZ PR.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 10:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyy
"- he needs to make sure he has a Returning Resident Visa before leaving, and return within the time allowed; and
- Australia will treat him like any other foreigner, there are *no* benefits in Australia for being an NZ PR."

Will I be treated as a local student when studying at a Uni? I'm not really concerned about benefits, I just want to know if the cost for my Uni will be the same as local students if I hold a NZ PR.
In Australia there are NO benefits for NZ PRs. None.

As an NZ PR you'll need a student visa (and the 'Assessment Level' will be based on your Malaysian citizenship) and will be charged full international fees. You will have work restrictions on your visa.

If you become a NZ citizen you will not need a student visa (and will be able to work freely), and will pay domestic fees (provided you meet the academic requirements). You won't be eligible for fee payment assistance offered to Australian citizens, however.
http://www.goingtouni.gov.au

And as an NZ citizen you'll be free to go back to NZ anytime, although as noted you will likely lose Malaysian citizenship.

Your choice, really.

Jeremy