Nz passmark

Old Dec 22nd 2002, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

viper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nz passmark

Hello friends,

Nz passmark is 29 but still i'm falling short of one mark for a work visa. Will it be comming down in 2003 Jan. Also since i'm in the IT industry and all major cities in Nz are in need for IT ppl, can get anything out of the occupational shortage list?

Thanks for your valuable time.
Old Dec 22nd 2002, 8:38 pm
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

To apply for pr in new zealand your'e job has to be on the shortage list anyway to qualify.The passmark was/is expected to come down at leat another 2 points up to feb/march 2003 we will just have to wait and see, when the passmark was put up from 25 to 30 back in may after then they realized that they were losing out on skilled people thats why it is coming down but slowly.
Old Dec 28th 2002, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't be fooled by the Occupational Shortage List - it doesn't mean that they are crying out for IT people, as we are finding out to our cost!

Lizzie
Old Dec 28th 2002, 10:23 am
Now in Tauranga

but your'e job still has to be on the list no matter what!
Old Dec 28th 2002, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ratliffe
To apply for pr in new zealand your'e job has to be on the shortage list anyway to qualify.
For JSV, yes.
Lizzie
Old Dec 28th 2002, 12:37 pm
Now in Tauranga

Lizzie.
going off the subject for a moment, are you actually in nz now or are you on the waiting list
Gavin,
Old Dec 28th 2002, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ratliffe
Lizzie.
going off the subject for a moment, are you actually in nz now or are you on the waiting list
Gavin,
Not sure what you mean by waiting list. We applied for PR in June knowing we were short of passmark (my partner is main applicant). We knew we would have to take the JSV route. Partner left for NZ in November and is seeking a job (IT) and not finding it easy. We are hoping that when business is up and running properly again in New Year that he will be successful but it is a tense time. BTW he is in Chch, would consider Wellington but will avoid Auckland. I am left at home with 3 kids waiting and hoping to sell house in New Year then we can join him. When we first started thinking about moving to NZ back in Feb/March we had enough points for PR but in the time it took to um and ah about the finer things and eventually get application together the passmark was raised and we missed the boat. Now it's just a question of getting that all important job!

Lizzie
Old Dec 28th 2002, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

viper is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,

What do U mean by JSV??. How has Y'r partner entered Nz without a work visa?. Is he in as a visitor?. I have relations in Nz and thinking whether to go in and try to find employement? what can U tell about that?. BTW what does Y'r partner do in IT? Would like to know cos if he's trying so hard to get a job.

Regards
Old Dec 29th 2002, 6:22 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

JSV = Job Search Visa, ie when you fall 5 points or fewer short of the Gen Skills PR passmark you can usually get a 6 month work visa (provided you are qualified in a job on the skill shortages list). If you find a job within that 6 months, you can get more points which can mean you can achieve the PR passmark.

Cheers - Don
Old Dec 29th 2002, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by viper
hi,

What do U mean by JSV??. How has Y'r partner entered Nz without a work visa?. Is he in as a visitor?. I have relations in Nz and thinking whether to go in and try to find employement? what can U tell about that?. BTW what does Y'r partner do in IT? Would like to know cos if he's trying so hard to get a job.

Regards
Hi Viper

I noticed Don has explained what a JSV is. There have been a few posts on this forum about entering NZ with a visitors visa and then trying to find work - basically comes down to whether you get rumbled by immigration - but I for one wouldn't blame anyone for trying. One word of caution however, the Agencies (through which most IT jobs are advertised) probably wont look at you if you dont have a work visa or at least have made inroads into applying for PR.

My partner is an embedded software engineer, well qualified and with 18 years experience as a programmer and running his own business. I think he feels that the main problem is getting past "the Agencies" - if he could get an interview then he would be in with a decent chance. He has also tried cold calling companies and turning up at their doors - mostly those advertised in the "Working In" guide to employment opportunities in NZ that you receive when you get a JSV. I'm not saying that it will be impossible to get a job, but it certainly isn't going to be easy. No doubt the time of year doesn't help either as many companies dont do a lot over the main holiday season.

I'm in no way trying to put you off Viper, I would never do that, everyone should follow their own dream but it ain't going to be a walk in the park, unless you are lucky of course!

Best of luck with whatever you decide
Lizzie