Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

OK here are some statistics (2001).

GDP per head (USD)

UK 24390
Aus 21270
NZ 14300

So for a New Zealander, he looks at Aus and thinks he'll earn (on average) 48.7% more there. An Australian looks at NZ and thinks he'll earn 32.8% less there.

Better to look at PPP - purchasing power parity, ie what your money buys you for equivalent goods in different countries.

On an index where USA = 100, we see:

Aus 74.7
UK 69.6
NZ 55.2.

So in this case Australians enjoy a better standard of living as measured by PPP than the UK. NZ still last.

Now, we are in Sept 2003 (nearly!) so almost 2 years later. In the meantime, Aus and NZ economies have grown slightly faster than UK, so that will mean in itself the UK loses ground to them as regards GDP. What about population? NZ has grown fastest, Aus next fastest, UK slowest measured as % of net immigration into the respective countries relative to existing population. So this will affect the figures, though not necessarily (say) dilute NZ's GDP per head (because (western) immigrants tend to have well paid jobs, whereas Asian immigrants are typically less well-paid). It could easily be a standstill situation.

Now for currency - important because GDP per head table is measured in USD. Looking at % change vs USD, Dec 30 2001 vs yesterday:

GBP 1.4515/ 1.5763 = +8.6%
AUD 0.5115/ 0.6475 = +26.6%
NZD 0.4150/ 0.5788 = +39.4%

This means that NZ will have jumped up he table of GDP per capita, Aus will also have done well, UK will have done OK relative to the USA. It wouldn't surprise me (if things stay more or less the same by year end) that Aus GDP per head is now (ie 2003 year end) ahead of UK in absolute terms (not just PPP) and NZ is not such a poor relation as before.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Don. Very interesting. theres obviously not a lot of attraction for aussies to go to NZ. Apart from the lack of financial incentive maybe they consider it a backwater country as well with not a lot of excitement
Old Aug 30th 2003, 10:27 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I have got into Auckland yesterday for a business trip. It is Sunday and nothing is open.

I was hoping for a kicking saturday night out but it was dead. Where is everyone and what do they do here.

It feels like the size of Southampton. I am off for a trip up the coast this arvo so hopefully I will get some positive vibes.
Old Aug 30th 2003, 10:43 am
Just Joined

TreborS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
I have got into Auckland yesterday for a business trip. It is Sunday and nothing is open.

I was hoping for a kicking saturday night out but it was dead. Where is everyone and what do they do here.

It feels like the size of Southampton. I am off for a trip up the coast this arvo so hopefully I will get some positive vibes.
Nothing open on a Sunday??? What part of Auckland are you in? I haven't been back there for 2 years now but if what you say is true then things must have changed an awful lot. I lived there for 10 years and virtually all retail in central Auckland was open on a Sunday from about 10 to about 4 or 5.
Old Aug 30th 2003, 10:46 am

I am on Queen St. You can hear the signs creaking in the wind. Only 2 days to go.
Old Aug 30th 2003, 10:56 am
Just Joined

TreborS is an unknown quantity at this point

I am on Queen St. You can hear the signs creaking in the wind. Only 2 days to go.
Given the time over there now you must have been out pretty early in the morning. I'm in London. Even Oxford street is deserted on Sunday morning as things don't open to midday.
Old Aug 30th 2003, 11:16 am

I had a hard time trying to find breakfast. You are right it is early now but that doesn't explain Saturday night. Bondi has more atmosphere.
Old Aug 30th 2003, 11:25 am
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by hamiltonnz
If NZ is so much better than Perth or other popular Aus places why hasnt the word got out and a mass migration from Oz ensuing? If NZ is better why dont most Poms come here. why are Aussies over here such a small % of the NZ population It appears to me that there are much more Poms going to Oz than NZ, even though its easier to get into NZ. I need help(my wife tells me that anyway) to get to the bottom of this.
Popularity and taste are two seperate things....take the UK pop charts as another example....
Old Aug 30th 2003, 11:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when I was in Auckland, it was a Saturday night & I was ready for a big one, went out & it was shut !. There was nothing going on. I walked around for a bit & found nothing. I asked a passerby & he directed me to a Irish pub about a 15min walk away & it was pretty good & I had a good night. Central Auckland on a weekend night is deader than disco.
Old Aug 30th 2003, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

britdan is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]If you mean hotter, then yes North Island weather is normally hotter than UKs in summer. It is probably more 'pleasant' too most of the time - eg. clean air, and blue skys predominate. But I for one find Auckland can get too muggy for my personal taste.
highest auckland/north island temp ever recorded 32oC

highest UK temp ever recorded 38.1oC
Old Aug 30th 2003, 5:19 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by britdan
highest auckland/north island temp ever recorded 32oC

highest UK temp ever recorded 38.1oC
Nope - see http://www.metservice.co.nz/learning..._summaries.asp - which shows higher N Island maximums than 32 C.

Surely, what counts more is sustained and dependable warm summer temperatures and NZ beats UK hands down (averaging 10 degrees C more all year round as a rule of thumb.)
Old Aug 30th 2003, 7:07 pm

OK according the guide I was with today Auckland was exceptionally quiet because the weather was good and everyone headed out of town. The centre still reminds me of Croydon.

Anyhow on to the positive. Beer is better than Oz. I also went to the waitakere ranges. They are just outside of Auckland and beautiful. It is so green and lush compared to arid Oz. The surf at Piha looked pretty good apart from the blowout.

I guess if you coming to live in NZ you aren't coming here for the big city life.
Old Aug 31st 2003, 8:42 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

OK according the guide I was with today Auckland was exceptionally quiet because the weather was good and everyone headed out of town. The centre still reminds me of Croydon.

Anyhow on to the positive. Beer is better than Oz. I also went to the waitakere ranges. They are just outside of Auckland and beautiful. It is so green and lush compared to arid Oz. The surf at Piha looked pretty good apart from the blowout.

I guess if you coming to live in NZ you aren't coming here for the big city life.

I'm not Auckland's biggest fan I admit. One of the reasons it gets slated by other cities in NZ is that the Central city lacks identity and character. It is a commercial centre, but everybody commutes home after 5pm and it is dead then. Wellington and Dunedin are in my view the liveliest cities for a night out. Wellington because of its compact city centre area, and Dunedin because of the student scene.

So the Auckland burbs are probably where everyone was on a Saturday night. Note also, the lack of good public transport means it is difficult to commute in to Auckland city for a good night out.

Apparently the viaduct area done up for the Americas Cup was supposed to be a place to attract better crowds. Might be worth a look. Also Parnell, Newmarket, Ponsonby.

And of course, ask the locals.
Old Aug 31st 2003, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up

Just gotta say..............

this is great..........keep all your replies coming!
Old Aug 31st 2003, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

virat is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Coool!

Great info chaps! I'm going with SYD in OZ...no doubts about that....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.