Wikiposts

NZ or OZ?

Old Aug 26th 2003, 8:28 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a lot of Kiwi bashing in Oz. Mostly verbally but there was that backpacker bashed close to death in Queensland.

I am not sure if it the sheep or the accent they take the piss out of the most.

The closest thing I can relate it to is the English and Welsh attitude to each other.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
There is a lot of Kiwi bashing in Oz. Mostly verbally but there was that backpacker bashed close to death in Queensland.

I am not sure if it the sheep or the accent they take the piss out of the most.

The closest thing I can relate it to is the English and Welsh attitude to each other.

Although sad that this took place, I am sure you are aware that there are tossers in every race and that not every Aussie or Kiwi goes around beating the other up.

I thought everyone in United Kingdom hated the Welsh????
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:28 pm

I think we are on the same wave length.

You have to wonder about people who have a national vegetable though.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

I envy them!!!

Actually there is a new stamp out at the moment here in Blighty which simply has a picture of a potato on it - what is that all about?????
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:46 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MeganEkno

I as an Aussie had always thought that Kiwis and Aussies had a good relationship and had always considered them to be our closest cousins.

Having spent my honeymoon in NZ I would constantly sprout on about how friendly people were, how beautiful the place was. I was a walking, talking advertisement.

It is only since living in London and having spoken to quite a few Kiwis that I realise that the Kiwis don't like the Aussies at all. In fact, they hate us. I was saddened to learn they felt like this.

Then I realised that some of them suffer from a thing called "little country syndrome". Kiwis hate Aussies, Scottish hate English etc. etc. etc.

Shame it has to be like that.
Some kiwis are anti- Australian, and many are not. But to be fair, Aussies do belittle kiwis and our achievements continuously, so it is understandable if some feel bitterness.

I liken it to a big brother, little brother relationship. We are so alike in many ways, but there are some subtle differences. And of course we compete against each other like our lives depend on it. Like brothers, we normally never admit to liking each other.

There is also the identity thing, especially when in a neutral country. As a kiwi in London, I understand that Brits may have difficulty in picking my accent and may confuse me for an Aussie. But no matter how much I understand that, it still does make me strive more to show I am not one of them. Slagging them off and picking out their obvious faults is a good place to start.

Some but not all kiwis do suffer from a small country syndrome. Some but not all Aussies suffer from a small country trying to be a big country syndrome. At least kiwis admit they are from a small country (hell its impossible to argue otherwise).
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MeganEkno

I as an Aussie had always thought that Kiwis and Aussies had a good relationship and had always considered them to be our closest cousins.

Having spent my honeymoon in NZ I would constantly sprout on about how friendly people were, how beautiful the place was. I was a walking, talking advertisement.

It is only since living in London and having spoken to quite a few Kiwis that I realise that the Kiwis don't like the Aussies at all. In fact, they hate us. I was saddened to learn they felt like this.

Then I realised that some of them suffer from a thing called "little country syndrome". Kiwis hate Aussies, Scottish hate English etc. etc. etc.

Shame it has to be like that.
Hi Megan,

As a kiwi I also think NZ and OZ have a good relationship with each other. I've never lived in Australia but have many Aussie friends and some family, I guess it is a sad minority that generalise people with a country.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

I don't mean to interrupt here.....................

but, obviously I'm not from Oz or NZ so I don't think what they think of each other will affect me that much.

What I want to know is which has a better lifestyle, which is a better place to bring up kids, better education etc. etc.

Also, my wife wants to do her Nurse Training - I know how expensive / hard it is in OZ, anyone know about doing it in NZ?

Weather - North Island - like UK but milder in Winter, better in Summer?

and yes, everyone hates the Welsh but the Welsh!
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by southerner
Some kiwis are anti- Australian, and many are not. But to be fair, Aussies do belittle kiwis and our achievements continuously, so it is understandable if some feel bitterness.

I liken it to a big brother, little brother relationship. We are so alike in many ways, but there are some subtle differences. And of course we compete against each other like our lives depend on it. Like brothers, we normally never admit to liking each other.

There is also the identity thing, especially when in a neutral country. As a kiwi in London, I understand that Brits may have difficulty in picking my accent and may confuse me for an Aussie. But no matter how much I understand that, it still does make me strive more to show I am not one of them. Slagging them off and picking out their obvious faults is a good place to start.

Some but not all kiwis do suffer from a small country syndrome. Some but not all Aussies suffer from a small country trying to be a big country syndrome. At least kiwis admit they are from a small country (hell its impossible to argue otherwise).
It is not belittling. That is where I disagree. We are getting more than our fair share of ribbing at the moment about the Wallabies -and rightfully so. It is all a bit of fun, it is usually more than ever about sport.

The only time I have ever felt a need to really belittle NZ was when Helen Clark ran with the Olympic Torch the wrong way around and it went out!!!
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Uh oh, be careful or you'll wake up the fierce Ceri-dragon which takes a very dim view of anybody saying anything less than nice about the land of the potato is it????

Only pulling your leg, Ceri, if you read this

sashimi
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Sarah2004
Hi Megan,

As a kiwi I also think NZ and OZ have a good relationship with each other. I've never lived in Australia but have many Aussie friends and some family, I guess it is a sad minority that generalise people with a country.
Cheers! Glad you feel like that.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by cadman

but, obviously I'm not from Oz or NZ so I don't think what they think of each other will affect me that much.

What I want to know is which has a better lifestyle, which is a better place to bring up kids, better education etc. etc.

Also, my wife wants to do her Nurse Training - I know how expensive / hard it is in OZ, anyone know about doing it in NZ?

Cadman

Sorry to have stolen your thread. Having no children (other than my husband - does count)?? cannot comment on schooling etc.

Nurse training in Oz requires a University Degree ranging from 3 to 4 years. I think that there is the same requirement in NZ (?). It is not like the UK where you just go onto the ward to get your training.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:07 pm

Well national veggies

For England it has to be the pea from the Norma John Major relationship on spitting image. It also typifies bland food from my dear motherland.

For the aussies it has to be pumpkin. They are the fattest people in the world after the americans and there are few vegetable bigger than the pumpkin.

Anyone got any ideas for the Kiwis?

The potato is already the property of the Irish.

Originally posted by MeganEkno
I envy them!!!

Actually there is a new stamp out at the moment here in Blighty which simply has a picture of a potato on it - what is that all about?????
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, I can't comment on which would be the better place to bring up kids since I have never lived in Oz but the weather in the North Island is much milder than the UK in winter, average daytime temperature for the top half of the north island would be about 14degC and would rarely go below 12, overnight minimum 4degC but did go down to 3degC this year and was in the news.
The summers would never be as hot as the summer in the UK this year, max temp 28degC with an average of about 24. It can rain at any time of the year though.

To become a qualified nurse from scratch your wife would need to do a degree course of 3 years, I think these are all done at the polytechnics and it would depend on your residency or citizenship whether you are charged international or local fees. Local fees I think will be approx NZ$5000 per year. Auckland University of Technology has a nursing degree this is the URL www.aut.ac.nz
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Sarah2004
To become a qualified nurse from scratch your wife would need to do a degree course of 3 years, I think these are all done at the polytechnics and it would depend on your residency or citizenship whether you are charged international or local fees. Local fees I think will be approx NZ$5000 per year. Auckland University of Technology has a nursing degree this is the URL www.aut.ac.nz
Thanks for that link Sarah.
So, you do a 3 year full time course at Uni, and, presuming you get charged local fees it costs NZ$5K.
Once you've done this you are qualified as a nurse?
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that link Sarah.
So, you do a 3 year full time course at Uni, and, presuming you get charged local fees it costs NZ$5K.
Once you've done this you are qualified as a nurse?
Not quite, you will need to sit further exams to become a registerd nurse and I think you will have to spend some time on the hospital wards before this. I had a friend who is now a qualified nurse and I think it may have been a year she was still 'training' in the wards after getting her degree. The 3 years at uni is all theory as far as I am aware.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.