Reload this Page >

NZ Occupational Shortage List

NZ Occupational Shortage List

Old Jul 8th 2003, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

chris@insurance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ Occupational Shortage List

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd post the NZ Immigration Occupational Shortage List as I didn't see it linked elsewhere:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/forms...rtage-List.pdf

My partner and I emigrated 2.5 years ago and have no regrets....I wish you all luck and if I can answer any questions I'd be more than happy to help if I can.

Regards,

Chris
Old Jul 10th 2003, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ Occupational Shortage List

Originally posted by chris@insurance
Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd post the NZ Immigration Occupational Shortage List as I didn't see it linked elsewhere:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/forms...rtage-List.pdf

My partner and I emigrated 2.5 years ago and have no regrets....I wish you all luck and if I can answer any questions I'd be more than happy to help if I can.

Regards,

Chris
So tell us all about yourself then, where your living, you initial experiences, how everythings panned out for you, schools/education.
Share you experience with the rest of us NZ bound folk
Old Jul 10th 2003, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

does anyone know if it is difficult for doctors to apply (someone said Australia is a no no) to NZ as I have a friend who qualified in Turkey as a Pediatrician.
thanks
Old Jul 10th 2003, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: NZ Occupational Shortage List

Well, where do we start:

I'm now 34, my girlfriend Jodi is 26.

My background is in business management with a BS degree in Political Science and "half" of an MBA.

Jodi has an Associates degree in Dental Technology.

I visited New Zealand in November, 2000 to evaluate a business for sale and to see if NZ was really like what I read in National Geographic as a child. It turns out it was even better than I remembered in the photos.

I used Malcolm Pacific as my immigration agent. Based on my age, experience, $$$, etc. the agent thought it best to apply for General Skills(if you'd like the gory details, email me directly).

I then returned to Philadelphia where I asked my girlfriend of 3 months to move to New Zealand with me. She said "Yes". Quickly followed by,"Is that anywhere near New Jersey?" After an extensive Geography lesson Jodi soon learned New Zealand is about as far away from New Jersey one can get without leaving the planet.

We moved out in February, 2001 arriving on Visitors Visas with three backbreakingly heavy bags each......with just a single pallet of items to follow. We sold or gave away absolutely everything non-essential before we left.

Although I was "pre-approved" as a permanent resident I required a work permit until the PR came through so I could manage the business I had purchased. Having the attention span of a fruit fly I'm glad we had Malcolm Pacific to help with the details as things like that aren't my strong point.

My PR came through in July, 2001.

The next hurdle was how to get New Zealand to recognize my girlfriend Jodi as my de-facto partner. Even though we considered ourselves a "couple" from the day we met...New Zealand didn't because we hadn't cohabitated in one place(before arriving in NZ we would spent 3 nights a week in my house, and 4 nights a week in Jodi's apartment). Jodi was still on her Visitor's Visa(renewable up to 12 months total stay with proof of support). Jodi has always been keen to continue her education so she enrolled in a full-time 1 year Uni program and acquired a Student Visa. So in a nutshell, we reached the 2 years cohabitation through 1 year on Visitor's Visa and 1 year on Student Visa. Then it was simply a question of applying to have Jodi recognized as my de-facto partner. Her own residency was processed almost instantly and after being a "kept" woman for 2 years, Jodi was keen to start working. She quickly found a job as a dental assistant.

Quick bit of advice: For De-facto partners....save ALL documentation proving cohabitation which can include, lease/mortgage agreements, joint bank accounts, joint credit cards, utility bills, etc......very important...you need two years PROOF to be considered De-Facto

Renting a flat in downtown Christchurch was great since it allowed us to explore Christchurch right at our doorstep and it gave Jodi some time to adjust to driving on the "wrong" side of the road. Although we really enjoyed living in "downtown" Christchurch, we decided to move out to the beach at New Brighton. It's located about 10k from town and a quick commute. It's a bit of a rundown community, but the fact it is beachfonrt and dirt cheap has dawned upon many locals and new residents......it's probably the most active real estate in a fairly active market(meaning prices going up!).

Some things we found out:

New Zealanders are incredibly friendly(at least compared to my old neighbors in Philadelphia the "City of Brotherly Love"). The person at the petrol station really does seem to care how your day is going... and he's not hiding behind 4 inches of armoured glass afraid of getting shot..never heard/seen that before!

Every Kiwi thinks he/she is the next Mclaren/Schumacher/Dixon. I can see why New Zealand has such a strong racing heritage...everyone practices every day. Be particularly carful "within the four avenues" in Christchurch. Road manners are much better out on the open road.

From my limited experience I would say the Fish and Chips are the best I've ever had. Make sure to go to Akaroa Fish & Chips on the Banks Peninsula an hour out of town on the most scenic drive in the area.

If you're looking for a good pizza, "Move along, there's nothing to see here!" I've started making my own..I..Miss..New York..Pizza!

You'll find buying a car really good value if you know the local market. Most cars are imported 2nd hand from Japan, you can get great value in a car here, but be aware...the car salesmen have the uncanny ability to sense a Pom, Canuck, or Yank car buyer from a mile away.

Rugby and beer drinking are the national sports. The Canterbury Crusanders are the most succesful Super 12 Rugby team period. Last year they were undefeated, this year they lost in the Final to Auckland. After a season or two in Christchurch you'll find on average about half the All Blacks hail from the Crusaders..so it's nice to have such a strong local connction.

Although Christchurch has more people than Wellington it "feels" smaller since Wellington appears more urban covering a smaller footprint, whereas Christchurch is spread out a bit more.

The local Uni.....University of Canterbury seems quite good. I've taken several classes there myself and I find it compares favorably with the schools I've attended. And althgouh the local student body protests at the thoguht of raising tuition I found the cost to be quite low compared to what I remember, even after taking out the exchange rate "benefit".

The water quality is excellent....and not having to pay for it anymore is even better!

In the end....it has been the best decision we have ever made.

I hope I wasn't too long-winded. If you'd like any further details or information. We're here to help!

Good luck & Cheers,

Chris
Old Jul 11th 2003, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chris and Jodi,

Really good to read your story and very glad you like Christchurch as we hope to live there within the next six months or so. Is your business in Insurance or why the @Insurance bit!!

What is New Brighton like to live in? As you say it looks a bit rundown compared to other parts of Christchurch but do you think that it has higher crime or any other disadvantages?

Thanks again for all the info - always great to have contact with folks who have been and done it!!!
Old Jul 11th 2003, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jajpe
Hi Chris and Jodi,

Really good to read your story and very glad you like Christchurch as we hope to live there within the next six months or so. Is your business in Insurance or why the @Insurance bit!!

What is New Brighton like to live in? As you say it looks a bit rundown compared to other parts of Christchurch but do you think that it has higher crime or any other disadvantages?

Thanks again for all the info - always great to have contact with folks who have been and done it!!!
Yes....The latest project is www.insurance.net.nz hence the email address chris@. What originally brought me down here though was a motorbike shop I purchased, as well as some of the best roads I've ever seen for riding bikes. I found NZ to be a great place for starting a business and I've got a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew at times. So like the nuns used to beat in to me, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop."

New Brighton is a great place to live actually. I wouldn't say crime is a major problem in Christchurch. The only things I've noticed is the odd bit of grafitti and the young "boy racers" driving too fast. Mostly juvenile stuff. There used to be a "biker" bar or two here, but they've recently folded and the bars were redone and reopened appealing to less dodgy-looking clientele. My partner Jodi walks our dog everywhere by herself and I go running along the beach usually at night ..nothing ever seems out of sorts. In fact throughout Christchurch I'd say violent crime ISN'T a big problem, and most of the non-violent crime seems drinking or vandalism related, primarily on the weekends. It's not a utopian crime-free society...I've had some minor problems with vandalism and shoplifting at my dealership in downtown Christchurch but it all seems rather tame after spending time in the worst parts of Philadelphia.

I've actually had a number of people I meet ask about my commute from New Brighton into town(about 10K), as if it is a long one. I cannot help but laugh....my last commute was 200K a day, no joke! It only takes about 15 minutes when traffic's on.

I can't really think of any downside to the area since it's exactly what we're looking for(seaside, good value). About the only thing would be the average age of the homes in New Brighton, until any serious redevelopment kicks in the average place here will be reasonably old.

New Brighton used to be the only place to go for weekend shopping until the advent of indoor shopping malls, so I've been told. Once the malls became established, New Brighton died off. I reckon people just took living by the beach for granted and it became quite run down. I've always been keen on living by the sea so Jodi and I have been keeping a close eye on the area since right after we moved down here. Although it still has a way to go, it has changed dramatically in the last two years with a number of old houses being leveled and/or rebuilt. It was also just recently announced that a large property developer in Christchurch responsible for a good portion of Christchurch's "The Strip" nightlife has bought up property for development. I've been attending most real estate auction for the area and have noticed a substantial amount of increased interest in recent months. So it would appear New Brighton may be getting a new lease on life, not as a shopping destination but as an entertainment destination....pubs, bars, cafes,etc. Time will tell!