Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ New Rules - 6 month visa

NZ New Rules - 6 month visa

Old Jul 28th 2002, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kerikeri, Bay of Islands, NZ (was Broadstairs, Kent, UK)
Pippa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ New Rules - 6 month visa

I have read somewhere (and cant remember where) that under the new rules once you get the letter from NZIS offering you a 6 month work visa you have a time scale to reply and apply for the visa.

I cant remember the details can anyone help me out??

Also how long do you get to arrive in the country once you have the work visa. How is it activated?

We dont want it to be active immediately as we have to work one months notice at our jobs, rent our house etc.

Does it become active as of the date you step off the plane?

We hoped that maybe once we know we have the visa, we could arrange to arrive in NZ and then ask that the work visa commence about a month after we touch down, giving us time to sort ourselves out find a more suitable rental appartment etc rather than do all of this whilst the first month on Nicks visa is ticking away.

I hope that all makes sense and that someone might be able to shed a bit of light on it all.

Many thanks

Pippa & Nick xx

(UK)
Old Jul 28th 2002, 5:20 pm
Phil

Default Re: NZ New Rules - 6 month visa

Hi, you have three months to go to nz then 6 months from the day you arrive to find a
job. I think its activated from the minute you arrive (i think passport control do
this). If it takes you longer than three months to get out there, it cuts into your
six months.

Emily

"Pippa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I have read somewhere (and cant remember where) that under the new rules once you
    > get the letter from NZIS offering you a 6 month work visa you have a time scale to
    > reply and apply for the visa.
    >
    > I cant remember the details can anyone help me out??
    >
    > Also how long do you get to arrive in the country once you have the work visa. How
    > is it activated?
    >
    > We dont want it to be active immediately as we have to work one months notice at
    > our jobs, rent our house etc.
    >
    > Does it become active as of the date you step off the plane?
    >
    > We hoped that maybe once we know we have the visa, we could arrange to arrive in NZ
    > and then ask that the work visa commence about a month after we touch down, giving
    > us time to sort ourselves out find a more suitable rental appartment etc rather
    > than do all of this whilst the first month on Nicks visa is ticking away.
    >
    > I hope that all makes sense and that someone might be able to shed a bit of light
    > on it all.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Pippa & Nick xx
    >
    >
    > (UK)
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 29th 2002, 10:20 am
J.Tar

Hello!

I have a little different question. Is it possible to apply directly for the working
visa instead of the permanent residency (when one does not have 28 points), and
after getting a job in NZ to lodge all documents for PR? - maybe the procedure would
be quicker.

Thank in advance.
--
Radoslaw Garbacz

Old Jul 29th 2002, 4:53 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Radoslaw

The short answer is no.

But you can apply for a normal work visa if you satisfy the requirements, one of which is having a job offer.

You could also go to NZ as a visitor and find a job, which if it met the requirements (eg one is that no New Zealander can do the job) would allow you to apply for a work permit while you are in NZ.

It would probably be simpler to go down the PR route. There are not significant waiting times to get a PR decision at the moment.

How many points do you reckon you have for PR at the moment?
Old Jul 30th 2002, 3:22 pm
J.Tar

newstartnz <[email protected]> wrote:

> How many points do you reckon you have for PR at the moment?

I have 23 points (education:11, age:10, work experience:2). My education has been
already evaluated - I got the B.sc degree (although I have M.sc). Now I am waiting
for the IELTS exam.

I thought that it would be quicker and easier to apply for WV at once, instead of RP
- according to the fact that I do not have enough points and finally I will probably
be asked for applying for WV.

--
Radoslaw Garbacz