British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   NZ - Moving Costs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/nz-moving-costs-111217/)

JPW Sep 10th 2002 2:12 pm

NZ - Moving Costs

Hey all!

Bit new to this so bear with me.
I'm trying to figure out general costs at the moment - looking to move to NZ in March from the UK. (I'm a citizen already). I've calculated my flights, and shipping costs. my Girlfrined and I currently rent a house - I'm just trying to thikn of any bills/costs I've not thougt of. For those that have made the move - what up front costs did you experience on arrival?

BTW I was in NZ March hadn't been back since 1985 - the place was more beautiful than I remembered - good luck to all those on the move!!
J

Don Sep 10th 2002 5:09 pm

Re: NZ - Moving Costs

Originally posted by JPW:
Hey all!

Bit new to this so bear with me.
I'm trying to figure out general costs at the moment - looking to move to NZ in March from the UK. (I'm a citizen already). I've calculated my flights, and shipping costs. my Girlfrined and I currently rent a house - I'm just trying to thikn of any bills/costs I've not thougt of. For those that have made the move - what up front costs did you experience on arrival?

BTW I was in NZ March hadn't been back since 1985 - the place was more beautiful than I remembered - good luck to all those on the move!!
J
I think you've got it covered, it's not that difficult! Maybe currency conversion costs/ insurance/ buy/rent car on arrival/ food costs higher when you arrive as you'll eat out more until you get a kitchen...er, that's it! Apart from the usual.

Cath Sep 10th 2002 9:20 pm

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:12:09 +0000, JPW <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hey all!
    >Bit new to this so bear with me. I'm trying to figure out general costs at the
    >moment - looking to move to NZ in March from the UK. (I'm a citizen already). I've
    >calculated my flights, and shipping costs.

Did you include port charges in NZ; Customs fees; MAF inspection
fees/fumigation fees if required?

If your going to be waiting for a housepack, the bare essentials to survive ie: bed,
bedding, kettle, cultery, crockery, pots etc.

Cath

Ian Guy Sep 11th 2002 4:08 am

Household bits like that (plate, cutlery, pans) are MUCH cheaper here, leave the old
and head off to Briscoes (especially on one of their many sale weekends)

"Cath" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:12:09 +0000, JPW <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >Hey all!
    > >
    > >Bit new to this so bear with me. I'm trying to figure out general costs at the
    > >moment - looking to move to NZ in March from the UK. (I'm a citizen already). I've
    > >calculated my flights, and shipping costs.
    > Did you include port charges in NZ; Customs fees; MAF inspection fees/fumigation
    > fees if required?
    > If your going to be waiting for a housepack, the bare essentials to survive ie:
    > bed, bedding, kettle, cultery, crockery, pots etc.
    > Cath