Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ LONG T.BUSINESS VISAS -advice anyone

NZ LONG T.BUSINESS VISAS -advice anyone

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Bryher is an unknown quantity at this point
Question NZ LONG T.BUSINESS VISAS -advice anyone

As the points have increased, we are now having to look to the Temp. Long Term Business Visa route.

Can we do this ourselves or should we use an agent?

We would be looking into buying an existing Motel or Holiday Park, as I have experience in the Tourism Business.

We are going out to NZ in late October - what information etc should we gather. i.e. ' to prove knowledge of the NZ market'
- should we have a 'Business Plan' drawn up out there or in the uk? Any advise would be most appreciated, we don't want to waste our time out there.

Has anyone gone through this process?

Also - do you have to have 2 medicals? One before you go and one when you apply 2 years later for PR??

Bryher
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NZ LONG T.BUSINESS VISAS -advice anyone

Originally posted by Bryher:
As the points have increased, we are now having to look to the Temp. Long Term Business Visa route.

Can we do this ourselves or should we use an agent?

We would be looking into buying an existing Motel or Holiday Park, as I have experience in the Tourism Business.

We are going out to NZ in late October - what information etc should we gather. i.e. ' to prove knowledge of the NZ market'
- should we have a 'Business Plan' drawn up out there or in the uk? Any advise would be most appreciated, we don't want to waste our time out there.

Has anyone gone through this process?

Also - do you have to have 2 medicals? One before you go and one when you apply 2 years later for PR??

Bryher
Hullo again Bryher,
Although I have to say that in general I'm against agents and lawyers (from personal experience) if we also go down this route we will definately use an agent of some description. Sure it'll cost but as the cost of applying for LTBV is $2500 it's not something we'll be able to do often if we get it wrong!

I'll be watching any subsequent posts with interest. I've been completely unable to find out anything on this point including the totally unhelpful reply we received from NZIS who said '....we can't tell you....'.

I have some websites if you wnat them specifically for hotel/motel sales including on that offers training so just shout if you want them. I also bought a book about the basics of running a motel...phew lots of things to consider that I hadn't thought about. Worth investing in at least one to give you some ideas.
I too could do with talking to sucessful applicants on LTBV if there are any out there that can help????
Regards,Pat.
Old Sep 5th 2002, 11:08 am
Michael

Don't use an agent, it is no advantage. As far as business investments try
organisations like Chamber of Commerce etc.

Be aware that your application could take longer than your visa and you could be
required to leave before your it is completed.

Were you coming here to look for business opportunities, or because you thought it
would be easier to apply here ?

Bryher wrote:

> As the points have increased, we are now having to look to the Temp. Long Term
    > Business Visa route.
    > Can we do this ourselves or should we use an agent?
    > We would be looking into buying an existing Motel or Holiday Park, as I have
    > experience in the Tourism Business.
    > We are going out to NZ in late October - what information etc should we gather.
    > i.e. ' to prove knowledge of the NZ market'
    > - should we have a 'Business Plan' drawn up out there or in the uk? Any advise
    > would be most appreciated, we don't want to waste our time out there.
    > Has anyone gone through this process?
    > Also - do you have to have 2 medicals? One before you go and one when you apply 2
    > years later for PR??
    > Bryher
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 5th 2002, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael:

Be aware that your application could take longer than your visa and you could be
required to leave before your it is completed.

Were you coming here to look for business opportunities, or because you thought it
would be easier to apply here ?

Michael,
Do you mind me asking is this something you have already done?
I'm asking because there is very little information available and people who take this course seem to disappear into the ether!
Regards,pat.
Old Sep 5th 2002, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Smokey:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael:

Michael, (from Bryher)

Thanks for your reply - we are hoping not to use an agent if we can possibly avoid it , but we need alot of questions answered.

Sorry - didn't make it clear - we are going out to nz in October for about 4 weeks for a holiday and to investigate business opportunities. We will then apply from the uk.

Have you gone through the LTBV route?

Like Pat has said there seems to be a serious lack of information on these visas and now the points have
been hiked up I'm sure there must be many people like us looking at this route.

Bryher.
Old Sep 6th 2002, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Smokey:

Hullo again Bryher,

I have some websites if you wnat them specifically for hotel/motel sales including on that offers training so just shout if you want them. I also bought a book about the basics of running a motel...phew lots of things to consider that I hadn't thought about. Worth investing in at least one to give you some ideas.

Hi Pat - Yes would like the website addresses re Hotel/Motel sales and the name of the book - have lots of research to do!! Many thanks, Bryher.
Old Sep 7th 2002, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bryher:
Originally posted by Smokey:

Hullo again Bryher,

Hi Pat - Yes would like the website addresses re Hotel/Motel sales and the name of the book - have lots of research to do!! Many thanks, Bryher.
Hi there,
here are some links which I hope you'll find helpful:-

www.motelbroker.co.nz
www.propertyonline.co.nz
www.harcourts.co.nz
www.realtiesbusinessbrokers.co.nz
www.centuary21nz.co.nz
www.daviswood.co.nz
www.business4sale.co.nz
www.bizinfo.co.nz
www.raywhite.co.nz
www.accessnz.co.nz

There's actually a load more which I've found using accessnz but these are the most useful. I'm assuming you're not a sad person like me and want to spend hours searching but I have found loads of uszeful info this way including one motel on the west coast right on the beach....I'll let you know the site when I find it again.
As an interesting point, if you're bringing over your household goods be a bit careful as you might be liable for Duty and GST. As we'll be going over on a student visa of more than one year it's ok for us but check out with the Customs people:- they're terribly helpful (unlike NZIS).
Pat.