Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ immigration - policy change after election?

NZ immigration - policy change after election?

Old Jul 9th 2002, 2:19 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough
Default NZ immigration - policy change after election?

From http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...eportid=462585

What the parties say about immigration 09.07.2002

LABOUR

Will review business investor categories and general skills category to ensure points system responds to NZ labour market needs. Will also review regional immigration pilots in Wellington and Southland/Clutha. Established talent visa to streamline approvals for employers. Residency approved for 53,000 in last year. Net migration loss turned to 31,000 gain.

NATIONAL

Will review points system to achieve greater flexibility for people with skills outside the present criteria, review the criteria for the investor category, give work permits to overseas students who graduate from a NZ educational institution, make it easier for partners of returning New Zealanders to work. Mandatory HIV and Aids tests for all migrants and refugees.

GREENS

Oppose immigration based on big bank accounts. Support relaxing rules for reunification of families, criteria to maintain country’s skills, special consideration for South Pacific countries, full appeal rights with legal aid for asylum seekers.

ACT

Will aim for net inflows of 30,000 to 40,000 a year, adopt policies that welcome immigrants, especially entrepreneurs, no easy access to welfare.

NZ FIRST

Cut immigration approval to 10,000 a year; increase penalties for breaches of immigration laws; three-year probation for immigrants during which law-breakers will be deported; pre-arrival health screening including HIV.

PROGRESSIVE COALITION

Will assist regional development with targeted immigration, promote better integration between qualifications for migration and accepted practice in New Zealand, support measures to protect immigrants from bigotry, produce a draft population policy for debate in an attempt to minimise political division.

ALLIANCE

Wants immigration policy to balance social and economic needs with need for sustainable development. Will shift immigration from Department of Labour to dedicated agency in Internal Affairs, ensure immigration is based on accurate data within a population policy and complements economic policy.

UNITED FUTURE

Develop 10-year population policy, set minimum of 60,000 annual approvals to aim at 10,000 net gain, replace discriminatory English language test with test specified by the immigrant’s employer, encourage more foreign students to stay to work permanently in New Zealand.
Old Jul 9th 2002, 8:20 am
Winnie

Default Re: NZ immigration - policy change after election?

"newstartnz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> UNITED FUTURE
    >
    > ...replace discriminatory English language test with test specified by the
    > immigrant's employer

Hmm, that's an interesting one. I'd worry if the requirement for immigrants to learn
the national lanuage, ie english (or Maori) was dropped; that would surely lead to
isolation or division?

Winnie

Old Jul 9th 2002, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

jseni01d is an unknown quantity at this point

Labour is the only one that matters as they're way out in front in the polls.

What we all want to know is: Is the hike to 28 points a pre-election stunt, a temporary reaction to a sudden flood of applications, or a sign of things to come? Will the passmark be back at 25 this time next year, or will it be over 30? Unfortunately their election pledge gives no clues whatsoever.

John
Old Jul 9th 2002, 7:22 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

This story http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?reportID= shows Labour's lead is reducing and they may be forced into a coalition, possibly with NZ First. This would probably mean they would have to compromise on what is effectively NZ First's main campaigning point, ie stricter immigration policy.

All the best
Old Jul 10th 2002, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

The latest polls show a slight dip in support for Labour, but they'll be able to get a majority without NZ First, with whom they have virtually nothing in common.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ection=general

"On Monday, Helen Clark described New Zealand First's "heady mix" of crime, race and immigration as "deeply offensive".
She would not categorically rule out going into coalition with Mr Peters' party.
But her firm preferences are either a majority coalition with the Progressive Coalition party or a minority coalition with Mr Anderton's party."

John
Old Jul 14th 2002, 6:31 am
Banned

Interesting article 'Auckland's immigration influx being used as an election weapon' at http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...eportid=462585
Old Jul 15th 2002, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

rich.arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

Friend of mine, out in NZ at the moment tells me that immigration is a hot topic in general at the moment. Appearently a lot of talk amongst the pakeha natives that there are too many immigrants coming in from Asian countries and that some ridiculous percentage have falsified qualifications. Unsurprisingly they don't seem to be concerned about immigrants from Europe. Obviously I'm not condoning this position but it shows what the locals are thinking before the election and therefore why the parties are responding in the way that are.

Richard
Old Jul 16th 2002, 9:01 pm
Banned

Bogus jobs - immigration scam? http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...eportid=462585

Latest poll shows Labour slipping http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...eportID=462585
Old Jul 17th 2002, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

marlene is an unknown quantity at this point

so few more days before elections...& Peter hates immigrants? is that true? what are his chances of winning?
Old Jul 18th 2002, 3:20 am
Terry Hollis

Peters has no chance of winning but a 50-50 chance of forming a coalition with Labour
if they win.

Labour is in favour of immigration so the outcome is uncertain.

--
Regards - Terry Hollis

Auckland, New Zealand

"marlene" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > so few more days before elections...& Peter hates immigrants? is that true? what
    > are his chances of winning?
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 19th 2002, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

I could never see a social democrat like Helen Clark going into coalition with Winston Peters - the NZ equivalent of Jean-Marie Le Pen - and here she confirms she won't:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1...7a6160,FF.html

Al though she's been sparring with the Greens recently, once the dust settles I wouldn't be surprised if they kiss and make up. They'd support most of Labour's policies anyway even if they don't form an official coalition. Some form of Labour-Green cooperation would certainly be good news for prospective immigrants.

I wonder if Kiwis realize what a gem of a PM they have at the moment. Judging from Labour's lead in the polls, clearly many of them do. It's so refreshing to see someone who isn't a corporate puppet actually winning elections.

John
Old Jul 19th 2002, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

lmaynard is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember Maggie Thatcher being thought of in the same light!!

Same style different politics.
Old Jul 19th 2002, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by lmaynard
I remember Maggie Thatcher being thought of in the same light!!
Now there's a corporate puppet if ever I saw one. Does Helen Clark provoke the same abject hatred in some sections of society that was/is reserved for MT? I suppose among the rich she probably does, and that in itself tells me she's doing a good job.

Same style different politics.
I hope she has the same staying power...
Old Jul 21st 2002, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

lmaynard is an unknown quantity at this point

I was talking about the same divisive politics except it's not rich poor it's 'positive discrimination' and curtailing of liberties. If we want to be slaves of the state the vote labour. It's not about capitalism it's about personal responsibility for the decisions we make in our lives...
Old Jul 27th 2002, 6:18 am
Banned

Election result imminent http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ection=general

Will be interesting to see who gets in and to guess what immigration policy changes there might be...!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.