Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ holiday entitlement

Wikiposts

NZ holiday entitlement

Old Aug 27th 2003, 1:05 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ holiday entitlement

Originally posted by Jackee
The job opportunity is just south of Christchurch towards Timaru on the Canterbury plains.
Note - Timaru is about 2 hours south of Christchurch. Just wanted you to be clear about that - it might make a difference.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 1:16 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I would be negotiating a 4 week holiday if you can, as suggested by others.

Another factor, is that the NZ Govt is wishing to increase the minimum holiday entitlement to 4 weeks. This should be good news when it goes ahead.

But, if you now give away some salary for an extra week in your current negotiations, make sure that you too will benefit from any future change in law. Otherwise you might find yourself with the same holidays as workmates, but less pay.

One way to achive this might be to structure the contract so that you are buying up to one week extra holiday above the minimum legal entitlement, and are paying for this on a prorata basis from your basic salary level. This is effectively how many 'flexible benefits' systems work in the UK (I for one have bought an extra week's holiday this year).

The holiday entitlement is an important factor for emigrants to consider. Obviously you want the time to explore the great outdoors (as mentioned already), but you will probably want to return to the UK for visits on a reasonably regular basis.

For myself (a kiwi in London) I find that a minimum 3 weeks is required for a trip to the old country. Something worth thinking about. Ability to take unpaid leave might be another thing to consider.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Sarah2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
My experience was 3 weeks was standard paid holiday in NZ, and also a lot of places expect you to take this over the Xmas period as lots of places close down over this period.
I hear the Unions are pushing for 4 weeks but employers are fighting this.

Something like what happens in the UK where firms close for nearly 2 weeks over Xmas, but here you get generally 1 month off (includes bank days over Xmas). But then you don't get a second holiday in July / August here as most people have used up all their holiday allowance at Xmas.

When I last worked in NZ I had 3 weeks holiday leave which was accumulated through the year however our office shut down over the Xmas period and this leave was not taken out of our holiday entitlement (I understand this is not always the case). So we got off from midday 24th Dec right through to Jan 3rd (2nd of Jan is a public holiday is NZ for everyone) So I didn't really gain many extra days when I received my 21 days annual leave in London even though it sounded like a lot at first.

For everyone coming to NZ it will be a bit of a surprise having less holidays (my other half nearly died when he found out, he's currently entitled to 26 days here) but most people tend to make more of the weekends down there all year round.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

Now.... I should know this really seeing as I'm currently working at a school - but I forgot to ask.

When I say "working", I'm actually on a course & have to work 3 days a week at school (before anyone thinks I'm mad for not knowing my holiday entitlement).

I shall ask & get back to you with the answer!!

Nicola.

Originally posted by ACE
Hi Kiwipaul,
I'm guessing that school teachers get the same holidays as the children or is it like some UK unis where the staff have to work on campus through some of the longer holidays i e preparing lesson plans, test papers etc

Many Thanks
ACE
Old Sep 1st 2003, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

(Replying to my own post....!)

I've asked now! Basically, teachers do get the holidays off BUT most of them tend to go in to prepare for next term. (Or clear up after last term!)

This is primary - not sure it's the same for secondary....

Hope that helps!

Nicola.

Originally posted by Akaubear
Now.... I should know this really seeing as I'm currently working at a school - but I forgot to ask.

When I say "working", I'm actually on a course & have to work 3 days a week at school (before anyone thinks I'm mad for not knowing my holiday entitlement).

I shall ask & get back to you with the answer!!

Nicola.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JWW
We've (me, wife 2 kids) have been in Ch'ch for nearly 4 years and have really liked it from the moment we got here. We came from Surrey and have had two trips back and honestly can't think of a single thing we miss, with the obvious exception of family and friends. The kids have a great life here and the natural beauty of the South Island is astounding.

If you do a search of Christchurch on this site you'll get a lot of feedback about the place, including my contributions about suburbs etc.

If you have any specific questions give me a shout on PM.

John.

Hi Jackee and Darren,
just did a quick search for some Christchurch posts and found one of my favourites - not because I started it!! but because people like JWW, Paula and Muppetking gave me so much info that was really useful in the early days for us! I'm going to try to make a link for the thread (it was called 'Where to live around Christchurch?) please forgive me if this doesn't work! This is a bit technical for my limited IT skills

http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...hreadid=127757

Hope this is of some help to give you a little more by way of detail.

Also Jackee please let us know how your husband gets on with the job offer -wishing him all the best!
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 11:09 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Akaubear
(Replying to my own post....!)

I've asked now! Basically, teachers do get the holidays off BUT most of them tend to go in to prepare for next term. (Or clear up after last term!)

This is primary - not sure it's the same for secondary....

Hope that helps!

Nicola.
Thanks for that Nicola
ACE
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 11:12 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Montessori

Does anybody know if there is much demand for Montessori early years teachers in NZ of Perth?

Many Thanks
ACE
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 11:15 pm
Here in Dunedin

Default Re: Montessori

Originally posted by ACE
Does anybody know if there is much demand for Montessori early years teachers in NZ of Perth?

Many Thanks
ACE

Montessoris are very popular in NZ. I would have thought that if you are qualified in this field you will have no problems getting work.

Regards

Southerner
Old Sep 4th 2003, 8:50 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Montessori

Originally posted by southerner
Montessoris are very popular in NZ. I would have thought that if you are qualified in this field you will have no problems getting work.

Regards

Southerner
Thanks southerner this is music to my ears. I am not qualified at the moment, I am in my final year of a BSc hons degree in Computing and I am planning to do an advanced cert. in Montessori early years education. We are not sure if hubbys job will take us to Perth or the Northland area but I thought teaching would open up more jobs opportunities and fit in better with my family more so than working in Computing.

Many Thanks
ACE