Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ here we come !!!

NZ here we come !!!

Old Mar 25th 2003, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ here we come !!!

Just had a phone call from NZ, I got the job I was telephone interviewed for last week {Monday night} !!!

This has been one of the longest weeks in my life !!! {longer than the last week before giving birth to the kids..........women will understand and hopefully some enlighted men tooo}.

Going to celebrate with a cup of tea.............would like something stronger, but it's day 2 of a new diet and I can't be naughty already.

A very happy Gill and Rob
Old Mar 25th 2003, 10:36 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZ here we come !!!

Originally posted by Gill and Rob
Just had a phone call from NZ, I got the job I was telephone interviewed for last week {Monday night} !!!

This has been one of the longest weeks in my life !!! {longer than the last week before giving birth to the kids..........women will understand and hopefully some enlighted men tooo}.

Going to celebrate with a cup of tea.............would like something stronger, but it's day 2 of a new diet and I can't be naughty already.

Congratulations. You won't regret it, enjoy your upcoming adventure and just to get you in the mood:-

Thats awesome. You'll be as good as gold as soon as your settled treat yourselves to some fush and chups and some lollies for the kids.

Sweet as.

Paula
Old Mar 25th 2003, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

deewee is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations.
Did you have the interview in person or over the phone?
Do you already have visa?
All the best,

Originally posted by Gill and Rob

Old Mar 25th 2003, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the congrats.

I'm a nurse, who applied to an international recruitment agency. They did all my background checks and then sent my details to the hospitals. I turned down the first job I was offered, so they put me forward for this one.

The interview was over the phone {I think they had a speaker phone at their end}, with 4 people from the hospital. It lasted about 40 minutes.

We don't have a visa, still waiting for Police checks to come back, but will apply for work visas once those and my contract arrives.

Cup of tea was lovely {would have prefered a wine or even a coffee, but I had almost used up all my milk allowance for the day}.

Happy Rob and Gill
Old Mar 25th 2003, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for response.
What agency was it. My partner works Hospital Lab and just about to finish MsC. I would love to move to NZ tomorrow. and wonder our chances on the job front.
Well I admire your will power sticking to the tea, I would be tempted with the wine, anyway guess you dont need effect of alcohol you can relax at thought of heading to beautiful NZ.
Old Mar 25th 2003, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Jaffa30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
Thats awesome. You'll be as good as gold as soon as your settled treat yourselves to some fush and chups and some lollies for the kids.

Sweet as.

Paula
gold medal for Paula - you've got the kiwi lingo (language) down-pat (sussed........umm.....worked-out). geez i have to translate half the words i'm using here

for extra effect, you can add an "eh" at the end of sentences. then you'll really be an expert, eh?
Old Mar 26th 2003, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Congratulations on the job offer. I too was interviewed on the phone on Monday. Had visited the hospital on holiday and been given the impression that a job was available and the time for the move was not a problem.

Well phoned last night and told that I was by far the best candidate. However they would need me to start in 6 weeks!!!!! Originally told them that I was thinking that September was realistic. Still about a month before Registration, Police Clearance and medicals before applying PR (3 months guess). Currently preparing the house for sale.

What options do I have. Could not service a £1000 mortgage on tiddly squat NZ wages, and leave the wife and dog to sort house sale. Think they are on a different planet. I employed several Ozzies in the past and left the start date until they are ready. Could believe it if I was to be a senior manager but am taking a step back in career by fifteen years.

Any ideas?
Old Mar 26th 2003, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

corinne is an unknown quantity at this point

hi deewee

i work also at a hospital lab and there is a shortage of laboratory technologist.
visit the LRS of New Zealand for more details

corinne
Old Mar 26th 2003, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Roger
Congratulations on the job offer. I too was interviewed on the phone on Monday. Had visited the hospital on holiday and been given the impression that a job was available and the time for the move was not a problem.

Well phoned last night and told that I was by far the best candidate. However they would need me to start in 6 weeks!!!!! Originally told them that I was thinking that September was realistic. Still about a month before Registration, Police Clearance and medicals before applying PR (3 months guess). Currently preparing the house for sale.

What options do I have. Could not service a £1000 mortgage on tiddly squat NZ wages, and leave the wife and dog to sort house sale. Think they are on a different planet. I employed several Ozzies in the past and left the start date until they are ready. Could believe it if I was to be a senior manager but am taking a step back in career by fifteen years.

Any ideas?
hi roger,
bet you weren't expecting that. a bit unreasonable i would have thought/hoped. we are also thinking in terms of autumn at the earliest so i would be a bit shocked if i got a six week ultimatum. do you think they actually would withdraw the offer if you didn't get there in that time? could i also ask if this was the nelson oppertunity or the christchurch one. if it is nelson maybe you should persue the christchurch or timaru options or do they not appeal to you at all?

reading all this today has made me feel nervous again. obviously it's not always plain sailing for british nurses going over but i'm sure something will work out for you - you just need to knock a few more doors perhaps!

congratulations gill and rob! i'm sure you are thrilled. what on earth did they ask you though, in the 40 minute interview- i was nearly sick when i read that! i have been raking my brains to think what i could be asked on the 14th and would love a few tips if you didn't mind. send an email if you would prefer- it would be great to hear some more!

anyway, all the very best as you continue on this adventure - sounds like you have cracked the hard bit. well done!!
Old Mar 26th 2003, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Roger,
I guess they must be as desperately short of staff there, as we are here and as the best candidate they'll want you ASAP. I think there is still a lot of kudos {?sp} in them "nabbing" a British trained nurse. I've no suggestions as to what you can do, but I must admit 6 weeks is a little unrealistic for someone relocating from the other side of the world.

Take care and keep us up to date
Gill
Old Mar 26th 2003, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Shirley, it was the Nelson job. A small unit thus I suppose they couldn't carry a vacancy. The manager was sure that a job would come up again and I would get there!! However until I have a job offer we are too anxious to sell up. May put in for JSV in the meantime. Obviously it was not to be (trying to be fatalistic).

The folk were really nice in Christchurch and gave the impression that there were always vacancies (not a good thing perhaps as turnover was high). However the department was shambolic with the greatest number of extra trolleys that I have ever witnessed in a UK hospital - though I doubt this would affect a speciality such as plastics. Left a previous job because of concerns about quality of care and trolley waits so don't fancy that again.

Would consider Christchurch if the job was right. Could always get a job driving one of those lumber lorries.
Old Mar 27th 2003, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

roger - really hope things work out for you!!

i can understand you not wanting to sell the house until things
are definate although we put our on the market in the autumn and we haven't been to nz yet much less got an offer! having said that we haven't sold the house yet either!! taking much longer than we thought so in a way i am glad we have allowed the most time possible for that! we are like you in that going without selling would not be an option, so i hope they are more reasonable in christchurch.

just wondering if from your point of view you should not get the job offer from christchurch anyway so you can apply for pr and then if you go but would really prefer to live in nelson you can decide not to take it up. from my understanding there is nothing really to stop yoy doing that!!

i would really like some idea of how the interviews go if either yourself or gill and rob (which of you have got the job by the way?) would be kind enough to pass on a few pointers. i am assuming they would have to keep it quite general as they could not really expect us to be up to date on their policies and procedures or do they ask quite specific questions. i have really no idea how to prepare for this at the minute except that i know i will probably be asked something about my understanding about maori people and their rights/the treaty etc.

i will be really grateful for any help on this one
Old Mar 27th 2003, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Corinne
Thanks very much for response.
Great to know its possible. How long have you been there, how does life and job compare to where you are from?
I have looked at LRS but not registered so not seen jobs. Have looked at many NZ job sites including med lab and hospital ones and ended up with mixed feelings about amount of Lab jobs.
Regards
Deewee (Jill)
Originally posted by corinne
hi deewee

i work also at a hospital lab and there is a shortage of laboratory technologist.
visit the LRS of New Zealand for more details

corinne