NZ here I come watch out!!!!

NZ here I come watch out!!!!

Old May 12th 2003, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

valleygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: congrats

Originally posted by Slippers
Hi

Has your husband had any job offers or other STRONG indications of future work? Is the work (if any) permanent and full time?
Are you relying on "once we are there"?

Slippers

Basically my husband was told by a paritcular company in NZ that there was a position there for him but they were not prepared to do anything about it until he was in the country.

Why do you ask my fine friend??
Old May 12th 2003, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Would you settle there (NZ) for good though Russ?

Slippers
Yep, I would have no problem settling down in NZ (have already got PR). Want to do a bit more travelling first, before settling down somewhere (going to spend a couple of years in Melbourne, and wouldn't mind doing a few years in Canada after that). By that time, I'll be in my mid/late 30s, & probably just starting to take up sad old fart pursuits as Don so elegantly calls them!!!

Another possible long term plan is to just keep moving between countries every year: spend May-Oct in the UK for the summer, then move back to NZ in Oct for the southern hemisphere summer. Then back to the UK (or maybe oz?) for another 6 months. So never have to endure cold winters, and has tax implications as well as I wouldn't be in either country long enough to be classed as a tax resident.
Old May 12th 2003, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by valleygirl
Basically my husband was told by a paritcular company in NZ that there was a position there for him but they were not prepared to do anything about it until he was in the country.

Why do you ask my fine friend??

I was just wondering what you had been told by NZ employers. Thanks and all the best with your future in NZ.
Old May 12th 2003, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by BritboyNZ
Yep, I would have no problem settling down in NZ (have already got PR). Want to do a bit more travelling first, before settling down somewhere (going to spend a couple of years in Melbourne, and wouldn't mind doing a few years in Canada after that). By that time, I'll be in my mid/late 30s, & probably just starting to take up sad old fart pursuits as Don so elegantly calls them!!!

Another possible long term plan is to just keep moving between countries every year: spend May-Oct in the UK for the summer, then move back to NZ in Oct for the southern hemisphere summer. Then back to the UK (or maybe oz?) for another 6 months. So never have to endure cold winters, and has tax implications as well as I wouldn't be in either country long enough to be classed as a tax resident.
Right. Cheers.
Old May 12th 2003, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Right. Cheers.
And yourself?

ps apologies to Amanda for kind of hijacking her thread here! & congratulations again....has it sunk in yet?

All the best

Russ
Old May 12th 2003, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tracey710
do you apply for job and then put in application or the other way round.
I think you might have to do more than apply for a job, you have to get a job offer before applying for residency. Unless you can get within 5 points of the passmark and so get offered a temporary work visa for job search purposes (but only if the job is on the Occupational Shortage List or the Priority Occuplations List).

There is some concern that the rules over job search visas could be tightened up soon, so it might be worth applying as soon as possible.
Old May 12th 2003, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by BritboyNZ

And yourself?

All the best

Russ

No, we plan to go back to Merry England later this year. I am waiting for my wife to get enough time under her belt in her NZ job to get a decent reference. In the meantime, I will try to give those who have yet to move to NZ the benefit of what I read, hear, and experience.

Cheers
Old May 12th 2003, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

valleygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone and dont worry about hijacking my posting it happens all the time on here but I dont care.

Yesterday and today has been spent building brick walls about what might go wrong. So endless knots in my tummy is doing really well for the diet. Will have body of Kylie at this rate (not).

I suppose it is only natural to have these feelings at this stage.... isnt it??:scared:
Old May 12th 2003, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

N.Finn Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with your new life, Amanda, all the best.
Old May 12th 2003, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by valleygirl
Thanks everyone and dont worry about hijacking my posting it happens all the time on here but I dont care.

Yesterday and today has been spent building brick walls about what might go wrong. So endless knots in my tummy is doing really well for the diet. Will have body of Kylie at this rate (not).

I suppose it is only natural to have these feelings at this stage.... isnt it??:scared:

I lost about 1.5 stones from filling in NZIS forms to arriving in NZ. Still, it helps with getting into the plane seats, so every cloud and all that.

So you are really going then? OK. Shame about the end of teaching anatomy and physiology though.

Good luck