Nz - Help!!!!

Old Mar 13th 2003, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

pilchardthecat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nz - Help!!!!

Hi,

We are currently scoring 28 points on the self assessment for NZ residency. We are now in the process of sorting out all our forms, (& proof of this, that, and the other).

The 28 points is achieved without a job offer in NZ, but the process of deferring the application while I seek a work visa and offer of employment will make our migration very difficult. (We have to sell the house to free up our settlement funds, etc).

I have 2 questions:

(1) What is the likelyhood of the passmark dropping by 1 point in the next couple of months? Or will it go up/remain at 29?

(2) Can anyone offer me a job!!! I have a Masters degree in IT, and am a chartered engineer. I will clean your toilet for 2 measly points!!!! :-)

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nz - Help!!!!

Originally posted by pilchardthecat
Hi,

We are currently scoring 28 points on the self assessment for NZ residency. We are now in the process of sorting out all our forms, (& proof of this, that, and the other).

The 28 points is achieved without a job offer in NZ, but the process of deferring the application while I seek a work visa and offer of employment will make our migration very difficult. (We have to sell the house to free up our settlement funds, etc).

I have 2 questions:

(1) What is the likelyhood of the passmark dropping by 1 point in the next couple of months? Or will it go up/remain at 29?

(2) Can anyone offer me a job!!! I have a Masters degree in IT, and am a chartered engineer. I will clean your toilet for 2 measly points!!!! :-)

Who knows what will happen with the points. My advice would be to sell your house, get your points for the settlment funds and then head over here. There are jobs in Auckland but getting a job offer whilst based in the UK is very tough. If you were a UK employer would you make a job offer to someone you'd never met? Probably not.

You have six months to get a job and get the extra points for full residency. Even if you had full residency, if you couldn't get a job after 6 months you might consider heading home anyway.

To allay your fears you may want to trawl through a few job sites to check out the market. Try

www.nzherald.co.nz
www.nzjobs.co.nz
www.jobuniverse.co.nz
www.netcheck.co.nz

Good luck
Old Mar 25th 2003, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Paul Parker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there, I was in a similar position to you only a few months ago. I had 27 points and was waiting for the points total to drop. I went on nzjobs.com and started applying for jobs. At first nothing but then I found a guy in Auckland who had employed people from the UK previously and was prepared to give me a chance. I had a phone interview and he offered me a job. Bingo 8 more points.
The advice previously posted is also valid about the 6 month visa, but if you demonstrate to employers that you are deadly serious i.e you have sold your house etc then there are people out there who are prepared to give you a chance.
Old Mar 25th 2003, 3:51 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

A snippet from my trip: unemployment amongst Europeans in NZ is currently just 3.3% which in most people's books means full employment, ie anyone wanting a job can get one. (Don't criticise me for making the distinction about Europeans: that's what the NZ government does and they are way way PC! They divide the population into Maori + Pacific Islanders, European and Asian.)

Cheers - Don
Old Mar 25th 2003, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

nzinfocenter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nz - Help!!!!

Originally posted by pilchardthecat
Hi,

I have 2 questions:

Hi,

You're not the only one with this problem. If you have been awarded points under the GS category policy for a qualification that is required for employment in an occupation on the NZIS list of occupational shortages, you may apply for a Job Search Visa.
This is what the NZIS website states:

Job Search Policy for General Skills Category Residence Applicants
You are only able to apply under this policy if you are a principal applicant for residence under the General Skills category who:
has a points allocation which is within 5 points of the General Skills category passmark for the week in which your residence application was made, and
have not been awarded points for an offer of employment, and
have met residence policy requirements for health, character and English language, and
makes an application for a work visa or permit under this policy within one month of the date of the letter from the NZIS advising you are eligible to apply.

I hope this helps, good luck!

kindest,

Jan