Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ Government increase pass mark...

NZ Government increase pass mark...

Old Jun 11th 2002, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

lmaynard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ Government increase pass mark...

Just heard on the news that the passmark has been raised to 28 points.

Looks like an election ploy - Labour trying to head off anti-immigration feeling. What they don't realise is that it's not skilled immigrants that people object to...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1...359a11,FF.html
Old Jun 12th 2002, 5:17 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: NZ Government increase pass mark...

Interesting post...not sure you're necessarily right about the politics, maybe for once it's just as obvious as the press release, ie a way of dealing with the high numbers of candidate PR applicants. 53000 in the last year speaks for itself. Just transpose that number to Australia, ie multiply up according to Aus's population, and there would be a much higher number of migrants allowed into Oz...

All the best
Old Jun 12th 2002, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Well yes and no...

It's election year and this announcement coincided with the announcement of the election date.

Labour came under a lot of criticism for its policy of encouraging more migrants, especially from Asia, and this was quoted by the RBNZ as a reason for the recent interest rate rises (fuelling inflationary pressure) against global trends. These interest rate rises caused the NZD to strengthen considerably causing the potential for the export market to collapse. It was the weak dollar and the export boom that gave Labour the economic conditions it needed to claim that it is business friendly and good for the economy.

Some opposition parties (mainly NZ First) are using this to attack Labour and Labour needed to react to head off this criticism. In reality the figures are still too high for migration but last year was an extraordinary year as a lot of expat Kiwis apparently came home after Sept 11 and the number of skilled migrants will probably fall through the floor over the next 12 months

That was the basis of my comment on anti-immigration feeling at a political / economic level.

On another level Labour was heavily criticised for taking 'refugees' from the Tampa as most of them were probably bogus (looking at the number of rejections amongst the ones that NZ didn't take)

There's a rumour that there's another boat of 300 heading from Indonesia as NZ is now seen as a soft touch and there's a genuine fear that the character of NZ culture will be changed if this kind of immigration is not curbed.

NZ claims to be multicultural but in reality in is monocultural with a mainly European culture with a lot of Polynesian and Maori bits thrown in for good measure. One of the central planks being sport (rugby, netball, cricket mainly) and arguably the biggest subscribers to this culture are ordinary Maori and Polynesian. Outside of the PC brigade at the Beehive and academia most NZers do not want this to change, in fact they expect immigrants to assimilate, by applying the FIFO rule (Fit In or F*** Off)

Skilled migrants by and large do this and add to the culture but refugees tend not to (generalisation I know)

This kind of feeling led to the Aussie government being re-elected and could ultimately lead to the downfall of Labour in NZ.
Old Jun 13th 2002, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

viper is an unknown quantity at this point

Will there be a increase in the marks offered to applicants or will it be the same points scheme. Will there be a restriction for work visas also?
Old Jun 13th 2002, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

The only change that I'm aware of is that points for a job offer increases from 5 to 8, thereby offsetting the increase.
Old Jun 13th 2002, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

viper is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks lmaynard for the prompt reply.
Ok i'm currently @ 21 points with which i'm entitled to apply for a work permit, with the new system do i stand in the same place or am i not eligible @ all :X

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 13th 2002, 6:08 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Long and thoughtful reply Imaynard! I can't pretend to know much about NZ politics just yet!

But regarding FIFO, I sometimes wonder if that's the best and only successful way for a country to let in many migrants and still preserve a sense of country, 'good and fair' rule, law and order etc. These days it often seems (according to our politicians) that multiculturalism is the only PC way, but it's not very conducive to assimilation of a destination country's ethos, way of doing things etc. Look at the UK, for example. It's silly to generalize too broadly, and I must worry when I've posted this that some might falsely say I was racist (not at all!) but most would agree that most Central European, Indian and Chinese migrants have assimilated very well into UK life and are a great asset and that a sizeable majority of Pakistani and West Indian migrants have not assimilated so well. I think it comes down to the latter's greater apparent need to preserve their old way of doing things in their new home country. Maybe FIFO is a bit brutal, but surely if a migrant chooses a new host country he/she should be very flexible in adapting to the host country's way of life? That's part of the deal (for me anyway).

Based on history and the way modern NZ has evolved, NZ might thus genuinely be partly multicultural (ie a mix of UK-ish European plus Maori and Pacific Islanders) but I can't see why it has to be fully so, ie multicultural as regards all the other migrants from different countries. Nobody sane or non racist would try to stop migrants practising whatever religion, habits etc they want - but they should also adapt to the NZ way of life.

All the best
Old Jun 13th 2002, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Well said...
Old Jun 17th 2002, 3:30 pm
Przemko

lmaynard wrote:

> Just heard on the news that the passmark has been raised to 28 points.
    >
    > Looks like an election ploy - Labour trying to head off anti-immigration
    > feeling. What they don't realise is that it's not skilled immigrants that people
    > object to...
    >
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1...359a11,FF.html
    >

Does anyone know if the option for getting Defferal Work Visa if one lacks less then
5 points to the pass mark will remain valid after the change?

przemko

--
Serwis Usenet w portalu Gazeta.pl -> http://www.gazeta.pl/usenet/

Old Jun 17th 2002, 3:30 pm
Phil

Go to http://www.immigration.govt.nz/resea...cements/11-jun
e-02--passmark-sumary.html and it explanes that all you need is 20 points for a work
defferal vias but you do need a relevant job offer. If the pass mark goes to 28
points then a relevant job offer is worth 8 points. I hope this helps.

Emil

"przemko" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > lmaynard wrote:
    >
    > > Just heard on the news that the passmark has been raised to 28 points.
    > >
    > > Looks like an election ploy - Labour trying to head off anti-immigration
    > > feeling. What they don't realise is that it's not skilled immigrants that people
    > > object to...
    > >
    > > http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1...359a11,FF.html
    > >
    >
    > Does anyone know if the option for getting Defferal Work Visa if one lacks less
    > then 5 points to the pass mark will remain valid after the change?
    >
    > przemko
    >
    >
    > --
    > Serwis Usenet w portalu Gazeta.pl -> http://www.gazeta.pl/usenet/