Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ. Good character

NZ. Good character

Old Mar 4th 2002, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

rich.arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ. Good character

Can anyone help? I am considering applying in the next few months for permanent residence but have a potential problem. About 12 years ago when I was a student and stupid I was convicted of theft for taking a 2 mile drunken joyride on somebody else's moped. Since that time I have never been in trouble. I'm a graduate with 9 years of relevant work experience and run my own consultancy.

Obviously theft is a serious offence and I wondered if anyone could share their experience as to how this might be viewed and how it could affect my chances. I have been through the self assessment guide and I've seen what it says with regard to good character.

Thanks for any response.

Richard.
Old Mar 4th 2002, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

lmaynard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ. Good character

I'm not one to advocate being economical with the truth but why not request your police reports and see if the conviction is on there? The chances are that it will not be.

This then leaves the option of declaring it or not - I'm sure that it wouldn't count against you but who can tell...
Old Mar 5th 2002, 9:05 am
Nicki

On 4 Mar 2002 17:33:49 -0600, lmaynard <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm not one to advocate being economical with the truth but why not request your
    >police reports and see if the conviction is on there? The chances are that it
    >will not be.
    >
    >This then leaves the option of declaring it or not - I'm sure that it wouldn't count
    >against you but who can tell...
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

I'd agree with this. From what I can recall, it's only custodial sentences
and/or crimes committed in the last 10 years that count against you (but don't
quote me on that!)

Nicki
--
(Remove SPAM from e-mail address to reply...)

Old Mar 5th 2002, 8:05 pm
Jonathan Neary

I'm not sure but i think you can apply to the police about getting it taken off your
record or something. A friend of mine had this when wanting to be a counsellor in a
school enviroment -(hence police check) It's worth speaking to the citizens advice
about it. "rich.arlene" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone help? I am considering applying in the next few months for permanent
    > residence but have a potential problem. About 12 years ago when I was a student and
    > stupid I was convicted of theft for taking a 2 mile drunken joyride on somebody
    > else's moped. Since that time I have never been in trouble. I'm a graduate with 9
    > years of relevant work experience and run my own consultancy.
    >
    > Obviously theft is a serious offence and I wondered if anyone could share their
    > experience as to how this might be viewed and how it could affect my chances. I
    > have been through the self assessment guide and I've seen what it says with regard
    > to good character.
    >
    > Thanks for any response.
    >
    >
    > Richard.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com