British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   NZ Getting Started (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/nz-getting-started-105945/)

Karen Dec 11th 2001 10:40 pm

Hi

My husband and I are looking at moving over to NZ and have a few concerns that I'm hoping some of you maybe able to help with.

Our main concern has been that a number of reports have suggested that the NZ economy is slowing down and considered by some to be comparable to a developing nation. Is this affecting the day to day life of ordinary New Zealanders e.g. unemployment figures, inflation, ease of finding employment etc,

This leads on to our second concern about our ability to find work out in NZ, I currently work as an Account Manager for Ericsson selling 3G solutions to Vodafone and Steve works for IBM on a Web Development Team. We are unsure as to whether the IT/Telecoms employment state in NZ is looking for our skills.

If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Karen and Steve

Kevin.Swain Dec 12th 2001 6:16 am

G'day Karen,

I moved over 4 months ago from the UK and settled in Ok. Finding a job is hard
but not impossable infact my company is activly recruting. Check out the job
sites for IT jobs and the NZhearld down at NZ house in london for non IT jobs.
today there must have been 4 pages of IT jobs and about 15 for non IT jobs.

http://www.edenbrown.co.nz/ http://www.ibcl.co.nz/ http://www.robertwalters.com/

The one thing all employers ak is "Why NZ" and how long are you staying.

Good luck with the move you will not regret it for one moment life is so much better
here and you can afford to have a good life style for instace I now have a nice car
and boat etc..

If I can help you any more just drop me an email

Kevin

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Prad Dec 12th 2001 8:57 am

Hello Mr.Kevin,

Thanks for the information.

We are also planning to migrtae to NZ..Your posts are such heartwarming..

We are in IT and as was mentioned by you- that your company is recruiting ..can we
send our cvs to your mail id..Please indicate/suggest..

Thanks and regards

prad

"kevin.swain" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > My husband and I are looking at moving over to NZ and have a few concerns that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I'm hoping some of you maybe able to help with.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Our main concern has been that a number of reports have suggested that the NZ[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > economy is slowing down and considered by some to be comparable to a developing[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > nation. Is this affecting the day to day life of ordinary New Zealanders e.g.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > unemployment figures, inflation, ease of finding employment etc,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > This leads on to our second concern about our ability to find work out in NZ, I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > currently work as an Account Manager for Ericsson selling 3G solutions to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Vodafone and Steve works for IBM on a Web Development Team. We are unsure as to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > whether the IT/Telecoms employment state in NZ is looking for our skills.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > If anyone could help it would be appreciated.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks Karen and Steve[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

Ashley Watson Dec 12th 2001 1:18 pm

Hello

Sorry to put a damper on the party, but I just thought Id tell you one reason why I
left NZ after living there for 12 years. I am a Scot who now lives in Quebec. Kevin,
Congratulations on settling in to your new country. However most immigrants go
through approximately 3 transition phases when they arrive and you would appear to
still be in the first stage. The rose coloured specs havent come off yet. It took me
about 2 years, but it varies according to each person.

NZ unfortunatally is too small and isolated. I had a wonderful time there, and have
no regrets, but from my point of view I saw the writing on the wall. Its quite subtle
but, I have noticed the standard of living there fall further and further behind that
of other western countries. NZ can no longer consider its-self a fully developed
country. On the other hand it is by no-means a third-world country as some newspaper
columnists occasionally portray for dramatic effect. It is sort of in between and
continuing to progress but falling further and futher behind.

The level of management in the country is shocking, 'Could'nt organize a piss up in a
brewery' is not far off the mark. Air-New Zealand is but one of several examples.
There are execptions of course but not enough alas. If you are non-white, it is very
hard as an immigrant as you will be subject to subtle racisim. I met many people
extremely well qualified and with much more experience than their bosses working in
low skill jobs. It was very sad.

If you live in Auckland, where most immigrants live, the city is a badly managed
urban sprawl. House prices are way over the top compared to your income. There are
regular traffic jams to probably the same level as many North American cities.
Wellington and Chrischurch are nice.

I am probably sounding very negative, but there are postives of course, weather,
beaches etc. You can have a house and boat if you earn good money. But the standard
of healthcare is very mixed, and crime particularly in Auckland is bad. There have
been some horrific murders in the last week or so. Also NZ has had a few mass killers
in recent years, far more than there should be for a 'clean green country'!

Also at the end of the day, your purchasing power overseas is going to continue to
decline. There are 'rich' people in Argentina and Brazil but they cant afford to
travel as their currencies are shot. That is where NZ is heading Im afraid, not that
I wish it, just I feel it is inevitable. That is one reason why I moved to Canada,
as really to advance properly you have to live in a G7 country, and Canada is the
best of the bunch in my opinion. NZ is a great place to visit, but for a prospective
immigrant I would suggest go elsewhere.

Good Luck

Ashley Watson

>
    >
    >
    >
out
    >
    >
for
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
I
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > My husband and I are looking at moving over to NZ and have a few concerns that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I'm hoping some of you maybe able to help with.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Our main concern has been that a number of reports have suggested that the NZ[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > economy is slowing down and considered by some to be comparable to a developing[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > nation. Is this affecting the day to day life of ordinary New Zealanders e.g.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > unemployment figures, inflation, ease of finding employment etc,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > This leads on to our second concern about our ability to find work out in NZ, I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > currently work as an Account Manager for Ericsson selling 3G solutions to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Vodafone and Steve works for IBM on a Web Development Team. We are unsure as to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > whether the IT/Telecoms employment state in NZ is looking for our skills.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > If anyone could help it would be appreciated.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks Karen and Steve[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

Kevin.Swain Dec 14th 2001 8:53 pm

Ashley, I by no means have rose coloured classes on in fact I can see all you have
stated. You may have overstated some of the downsides but with everything in life
there are + and - sides. I now have a very good job and access to Australia with its
bigger opportunities. I have travelled many countries in the world and I still like
NZ and Australia the most. I lived in Australia for 2 years in 89 - 91 and I feel NZ
has the best of Australia and England.

I personally would not move to Canada for one simple reason I can not stand the
cold hence I live in Auckland and not other parts of NZ.

Kevin

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
stage.
    >
but
    >
    >
    >
there,
    >
    >
    >
no
    >
is
    >
occasionally
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
subject
    >
much
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
money.
    >
    >
or
    >
there
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
you
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > G'day Karen,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I moved over 4 months ago from the UK and settled in Ok. Finding a[/usenetquote2]
job
[usenetquote2]> > is hard but not impossable infact my company is activly recruting. Check[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > the job sites for IT jobs and the NZhearld down at NZ house in london[/usenetquote2]
for
[usenetquote2]> > non IT jobs. today there must have been 4 pages of IT jobs and about 15[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > non IT jobs.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > http://www.edenbrown.co.nz/ http://www.ibcl.co.nz/ http://www.robertwalters.com/[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The one thing all employers ak is "Why NZ" and how long are you staying.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Good luck with the move you will not regret it for one moment life is so much[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > better here and you can afford to have a good life style for[/usenetquote2]
instace
    >
[usenetquote2]> > now have a nice car and boat etc..[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > If I can help you any more just drop me an email[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Kevin[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Hi[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > My husband and I are looking at moving over to NZ and have a few concerns that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I'm hoping some of you maybe able to help with.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Our main concern has been that a number of reports have suggested that the NZ[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > economy is slowing down and considered by some to be comparable to a developing[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > nation. Is this affecting the day to day life of ordinary New Zealanders e.g.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > unemployment figures, inflation, ease of finding employment etc,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > This leads on to our second concern about our ability to find work out in NZ, I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > currently work as an Account Manager for Ericsson selling 3G solutions to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Vodafone and Steve works for IBM on a Web Development[/usenetquote2]
Team.
[usenetquote2]> > > We are unsure as to whether the IT/Telecoms employment state in NZ is looking[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > for our skills.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > If anyone could help it would be appreciated.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Thanks Karen and Steve[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > --[/usenetquote2]

Kevin.Swain Dec 14th 2001 8:54 pm

Prad, Drop me your CV via email

Kevin

"prad" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > I moved over 4 months ago from the UK and settled in Ok. Finding a[/usenetquote2]
job
[usenetquote2]> > is hard but not impossable infact my company is activly recruting. Check[/usenetquote2]
out
[usenetquote2]> > the job sites for IT jobs and the NZhearld down at NZ house in london[/usenetquote2]
for
[usenetquote2]> > non IT jobs. today there must have been 4 pages of IT jobs and about 15[/usenetquote2]
for
[usenetquote2]> > http://www.edenbrown.co.nz/ http://www.ibcl.co.nz/ http://www.robertwalters.com/[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The one thing all employers ak is "Why NZ" and how long are you staying.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Good luck with the move you will not regret it for one moment life is so much[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > better here and you can afford to have a good life style for[/usenetquote2]
instace I
[usenetquote2]> > If I can help you any more just drop me an email[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > My husband and I are looking at moving over to NZ and have a few concerns that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I'm hoping some of you maybe able to help with.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Our main concern has been that a number of reports have suggested that the NZ[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > economy is slowing down and considered by some to be comparable to a developing[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > nation. Is this affecting the day to day life of ordinary New Zealanders e.g.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > unemployment figures, inflation, ease of finding employment etc,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > This leads on to our second concern about our ability to find work out in NZ, I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > currently work as an Account Manager for Ericsson selling 3G solutions to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Vodafone and Steve works for IBM on a Web Development[/usenetquote2]
Team.
[usenetquote2]> > > We are unsure as to whether the IT/Telecoms employment state in NZ is looking[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > If anyone could help it would be appreciated.[/usenetquote2]

>

Nicholas Lloyd Dec 15th 2001 1:51 am

You hit the nail on the head cobber. The 'sandwich classes' continue to maintain
status quo although the rift succeeds in creating two predominant classes. Rich and
poor. It is great for those with professional qualifications and the self proclaimed
'Lairds of the Manor', not so for the unskilled plebs. The country is a fantastic
country in terms of diversity of culture and tradition, however, the elite classes
need culling for want of a more equitable distribution of wealth.

NZ portrays an indifferent manner in that it epitomises pure capitalist extremities
of greed and selfish accumulation by the few so proclaimed patricians, and on the
same note, NZ worship left wing issues pertaining to the preservation of the human
ideals ie. of save the whale, dolphins, planet, forests.... squirrels, worms,
butterflies and whatever. Tantamount to protesters in a four wheel drive motoring a
few kilometres up the rainforest trail pathway to unload the "Save our Forests"
banners for a protest sit in... Selective policy compromise legislation, but then who
cares. Winners are grinners, losers go help themselves.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
stage.
    >
but
    >
    >
    >
there,
    >
    >
    >
no
    >
is
    >
occasionally
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
subject
    >
much
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
money.
    >
    >
or
    >
there
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
you
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

job
    >
for
    >
instace
    >

Team.