NZ Experiences

Old Sep 14th 2002, 8:09 am
Ben

Default Re: NZ Experiences

Okay, I'm sold! Where is this paradise you call home?

Ben

"Ian Guy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news[email protected]...
    > Now before all the city dwellers get uppity....
    > You lot are living in cities - move out of there and experience the real
NZ!
    > Hills, lakes, native forests, desrted beaches, mountains, snow. Add to
this
    > minimal traffic, even better country schools (our kids have 200 at their school, 12
    > teachers, 20 PC's in the library, a 20m pool, 2 tennis courts, etc....), more
    > affordable housing (and land) - we are across the road from
a
    > beautiful lake, yet only 10 mins from the city centre and we paid LESS for
a
    > 3 bed detached with a 1/4 acre than we sold our 3 bed terrace in a good
area
    > in Huddersfield (£69000). The plan is to buy a 2 acre block (part of a
    > sub-division) and build a five bedder! The other thing with rural is you
can
    > do the full lifestyle thing (Chooks, pigs, sheep, etc) although we are a
bit
    > wary of the whole 'home kill' thing!

Old Sep 14th 2002, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ian Guy:
Now before all the city dwellers get uppity....

You lot are living in cities - move out of there and experience the real NZ! Hills,
lakes, native forests, desrted beaches, mountains, snow. Add to this minimal traffic,
even better country schools (our kids have 200 at their school, 12 teachers, 20 PC's
in the library, a 20m pool, 2 tennis courts, etc....), more affordable housing (and
land) - we are across the road from a beautiful lake, yet only 10 mins from the city
centre and we paid LESS for a 3 bed detached with a 1/4 acre than we sold our 3 bed
terrace in a good area in Huddersfield (£69000). The plan is to buy a 2 acre block
(part of a sub-division) and build a five bedder! The other thing with rural is you
can do the full lifestyle thing (Chooks, pigs, sheep, etc) although we are a bit wary
of the whole 'home kill' thing!

Hi Ian,
Reakon you've got it spot on there....but where??? I like the idea of the schools as my hubby is going to teacher train and I guess it will be a lot nicer in a small school.
Watch out about the home smallholding idea. W very nearly tried it here (in Cornwall) but when we found out the cost of everything....phew! The only advantage is the meat tasts a lot better and if you're farming organic wise then it may well be cheaper. it's a shame I'm not there now as I could let you have a few books that'll help. Something to consider also is that it's a BIG tie ie no holidays without loads of organising and worry whilst you're away. You'll have to be prepared to wring a chook's neck (carefully coz it's easy to pull it right off-ew!) but have a look into mobile slaughterers/ your nearest slaughterhouse. Here we can take a pig/goat in to be done and butchered for about £10-20.
I know this might be a silly question but just how close have you been to a sheep??? Cor they dunnalf pong.....what about dipping or de-dagging?
Thinking about the more revolting things might help you to decide what type of animals to keep etc etc.
Best Wishes,
Pat.
Old Sep 14th 2002, 10:44 am
Ian Guy

Bay of Plenty.

"Ben" <ben@nospam_uktrader.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Okay, I'm sold! Where is this paradise you call home?
    > Ben
    > "Ian Guy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news[email protected]...
    > > Now before all the city dwellers get uppity....
    > >
    > > You lot are living in cities - move out of there and experience the real
    > NZ!
    > > Hills, lakes, native forests, desrted beaches, mountains, snow. Add to
    > this
    > > minimal traffic, even better country schools (our kids have 200 at their school,
    > > 12 teachers, 20 PC's in the library, a 20m pool, 2 tennis
courts,
    > > etc....), more affordable housing (and land) - we are across the road
from
    > a
    > > beautiful lake, yet only 10 mins from the city centre and we paid LESS
for
    > a
    > > 3 bed detached with a 1/4 acre than we sold our 3 bed terrace in a good
    > area
    > > in Huddersfield (£69000). The plan is to buy a 2 acre block (part of a
    > > sub-division) and build a five bedder! The other thing with rural is you
    > can
    > > do the full lifestyle thing (Chooks, pigs, sheep, etc) although we are a
    > bit
    > > wary of the whole 'home kill' thing!

Old Sep 14th 2002, 8:59 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

To all NZ posters,

Your words are music to our ears

Ian we especially like your description of schools. We are looking at the areas about 20 mins outside Christchurch (ie Rangiora,Kaipoi,Leeston, Selwyn,West Eyreton etc) so we would hope to find a similar school for our kids. Anyone with any experience of this area out there?
Also as immigrants/immigration is such a hot potato subject around the world these days I was wondering if anyone had received any negative reactions to being an immigrant from NZ'ers (including the reception children receive from their peers at school)?
We are hoping to be out there early Nov, we are expecting news on our visa from our agent next week and all your fantastic posts about life in NZ are seeing us through.

Keep it up

Paula

Old Sep 14th 2002, 9:34 pm
Ian Guy

Hi again Pat, we have them in the paddock next to our garden and pigs and the back
and neither smell (even in the heat of summer). We are having an orphan lamb (for
lamb, calf and chicken day at school!) - it'll be interesting to see what happens
when we call the homekill! At least it'll be out of sight on our friends fields in a
few weeks! Lots of people nearer the coast have apples, oranges, lemons and avacados,
etc outside their gate - don't suppose they make much, but are just selling their
excess. Lots of folks have goats too, for getting rid of gorse and weeds!

"Smokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Ian Guy:
    > >
    > > You lot are living in cities - move out of there and experience the real NZ!
    > > Hills, lakes, native forests, desrted beaches, mountains, snow. Add to this
    > > minimal traffic, even better country schools (our kids have 200 at their school,
    > > 12 teachers, 20 PC's in the library, a 20m pool, 2 tennis courts, etc....), more
    > > affordable housing (and land) - we are across the road from a beautiful lake, yet
    > > only 10 mins from the city centre and we paid LESS for a 3 bed detached with a
    > > 1/4 acre than we sold our 3 bed terrace in a good area in Huddersfield (£69000).
    > > The plan is to buy a 2 acre block (part of a sub-division) and build a five
    > > bedder! The other thing with rural is you can do the full lifestyle thing
    > > (Chooks, pigs, sheep, etc) although we are a bit wary of the whole 'home kill'
    > > thing!
    > >
    > > Hi Ian, Reakon you've got it spot on there....but where??? I like the idea of the
    > > schools as my hubby is going to teacher train and I guess it will be a lot nicer
    > > in a small school. Watch out about the home smallholding idea. W very nearly
    > > tried it here (in Cornwall) but when we found out the cost of everything....phew!
    > > The only advantage is the meat tasts a lot better and if you're farming organic
    > > wise then it may well be cheaper. it's a shame I'm not there now as I could let
    > > you have a few books that'll help. Something to consider also is that it's a BIG
    > > tie ie no holidays without loads of organising and worry whilst you're away.
    > > You'll have to be prepared to wring a chook's neck (carefully coz it's easy to
    > > pull it right off-ew!) but have a look into mobile slaughterers/ your nearest
    > > slaughterhouse. Here we can take a pig/goat in to be done and butchered for about
    > > £10-20. I know this might be a silly question but just how close have you been to
    > > a sheep??? Cor they dunnalf pong.....what about dipping or de-dagging? Thinking
    > > about the more revolting things might help you to decide what type of animals to
    > > keep etc etc. Best Wishes, Pat.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 15th 2002, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

it sounds idyllic - definately not cornwall. perhaps its because it rains so much here everything seems to smell of damp!
The impression I have (primarily from reading the NZIS site is that trades are in demand. does this mean you'll have any problems finding a builder? Are they likely to be more or less expensive do you think?
Pat

Originally posted by Ian Guy:
Hi again Pat, we have them in the paddock next to our garden and pigs and the back
and neither smell (even in the heat of summer). We are having an orphan lamb (for
lamb, calf and chicken day at school!) - it'll be interesting to see what happens
when we call the homekill! At least it'll be out of sight on our friends fields in a
few weeks! Lots of people nearer the coast have apples, oranges, lemons and avacados,
etc outside their gate - don't suppose they make much, but are just selling their
excess. Lots of folks have goats too, for getting rid of gorse and weeds!

"Smokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Ian Guy:
    > >
    > > You lot are living in cities - move out of there and experience the real NZ!
    > > Hills, lakes, native forests, desrted beaches, mountains, snow. Add to this
    > > 12 teachers, 20 PC's in the library, a 20m pool, 2 tennis courts, etc....), more
    > > affordable housing (and land) - we are across the road from a beautiful lake, yet
    > > only 10 mins from the city centre and we paid LESS for a 3 bed detached with a
    > > 1/4 acre than we sold our 3 bed terrace in a good area in Huddersfield (£69000).
    > > The plan is to buy a 2 acre block (part of a sub-division) and build a five
    > > bedder! The other thing with rural is you can do the full lifestyle thing
    > > (Chooks, pigs, sheep, etc) although we are a bit wary of the whole 'home kill'
    > > thing!
    > >
    > > Hi Ian, Reakon you've got it spot on there....but where??? I like the idea of the
    > > schools as my hubby is going to teacher train and I guess it will be a lot nicer
    > > in a small school. Watch out about the home smallholding idea. W very nearly
    > > tried it here (in Cornwall) but when we found out the cost of everything....phew!
    > > The only advantage is the meat tasts a lot better and if you're farming organic
    > > wise then it may well be cheaper. it's a shame I'm not there now as I could let
    > > you have a few books that'll help. Something to consider also is that it's a BIG
    > > tie ie no holidays without loads of organising and worry whilst you're away.
    > > You'll have to be prepared to wring a chook's neck (carefully coz it's easy to
    > > pull it right off-ew!) but have a look into mobile slaughterers/ your nearest
    > > slaughterhouse. Here we can take a pig/goat in to be done and butchered for about
    > > £10-20. I know this might be a silly question but just how close have you been to
    > > a sheep??? Cor they dunnalf pong.....what about dipping or de-dagging? Thinking
    > > about the more revolting things might help you to decide what type of animals to
    > > keep etc etc. Best Wishes, Pat.
    > --
Old Sep 16th 2002, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

lmaynard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Watt Dabney:
To all NZ posters,

Your words are music to our ears

Ian we especially like your description of schools. We are looking at the areas about 20 mins outside Christchurch (ie Rangiora,Kaipoi,Leeston, Selwyn,West Eyreton etc) so we would hope to find a similar school for our kids. Anyone with any experience of this area out there?
Also as immigrants/immigration is such a hot potato subject around the world these days I was wondering if anyone had received any negative reactions to being an immigrant from NZ'ers (including the reception children receive from their peers at school)?
We are hoping to be out there early Nov, we are expecting news on our visa from our agent next week and all your fantastic posts about life in NZ are seeing us through.

Keep it up

Paula

NZ is great for people from the UK. Our kids have slipped right into the NZ way of life and there's been no problems with us being from England. If you don't love rugby, learn to love it - it'll make life really easy. I suppose that's one reason that we've fitted in is that we're a family of rugby fans.
Old Sep 16th 2002, 6:59 pm
JPW
Forum Regular

JPW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey quick question for any of you that have recently made the move - have you tried L&P?? my fav drink as a boy - tried it again in March - mmmm nectar of the Gods...

BTW weather looks horrible in Auckland today! (looking web cam)

Any new experiences??
Old Sep 16th 2002, 8:55 pm
Emmy & Phil

Oh L&P is lovely, but my fav is all the raspberry drinks you get here,
something you don't get in the UK. One really annoying thing is all the
burger king's and MacDonald's here all have children's play areas on them so
everytime we go past one Matthew goes mad as he wants to play in the space
ship ; )
I'm in Wellington and the weather here is really nice about 16 and very
sunny : )

Emily

"JPW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:416739.1032202746@britishexpats-
.com
    > Hey quick question for any of you that have recently made the move -
    > have you tried L&P?? my fav drink as a boy - tried it again in March -
    > mmmm nectar of the Gods...
    > BTW weather looks horrible in Auckland today! (looking web cam)
    > Any new experiences??
    > --

Old Sep 16th 2002, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

lmaynard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Emmy & Phil:
Oh L&P is lovely, but my fav is all the raspberry drinks you get here,
something you don't get in the UK. One really annoying thing is all the
burger king's and MacDonald's here all have children's play areas on them so
everytime we go past one Matthew goes mad as he wants to play in the space
ship ; )
I'm in Wellington and the weather here is really nice about 16 and very
sunny : )

Emily

"JPW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:416739.1032202746@britishexpats-
.com
    > Hey quick question for any of you that have recently made the move -
    > have you tried L&P?? my fav drink as a boy - tried it again in March -
    > mmmm nectar of the Gods...
    > BTW weather looks horrible in Auckland today! (looking web cam)
    > Any new experiences??
    > --
New Zealand - the McDonalds capital of the world. One of the least attractive features....
Old Sep 18th 2002, 11:38 am
JPW
Forum Regular

Does "Red Rooster" exist in NZ?
Old Sep 23rd 2002, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Bryher is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Ian Guy:
Now before all the city dwellers get uppity....

You lot are living in cities - move out of there and experience the real NZ! Hills,

Hi - where do you live? Sounds like the place we're looking for!
Old Sep 26th 2002, 7:40 pm
JPW
Forum Regular

Anyone arrived in NZ recently? There are a lot of people on here that have received their PR in the past week or so I'm sure they'd all like to here of any experiences you may have had?

FYI - America's cup trials are being shown on Eurosport (GB) in the evenings at about 8pm - great views of Auckland in background if anyone is interested!

Sorry don't mean to sound sad - just itching to get there!

J
Old Sep 26th 2002, 7:41 pm
JPW
Forum Regular

Anyone arrived in NZ recently? There are a lot of people on here that have received their PR in the past week or so I'm sure they'd all like to here of any experiences you may have had?

FYI - America's cup trials are being shown on Eurosport (GB) in the evenings at about 8pm - great views of Auckland in background if anyone is interested!

J
Old Sep 26th 2002, 7:44 pm
JPW
Forum Regular

J

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.