Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ Employers help with Visa/permits

NZ Employers help with Visa/permits

Old Feb 27th 2004, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

debtay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ Employers help with Visa/permits

A prospective employer has said that their company is registered with the NZ government and they can therefore facilitate visa/permits. What exactly does that mean in practice? Has anyone found this to be any easier/quicker than D.I.Y.ing it?

P.s. snow has melted now
Old Feb 27th 2004, 11:34 am
Just Joined

aet1964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employer Accreditation

Maybe your future/possible employer is registered with NZIS as an accredited company. If they are they will have a letter confirming this from NZIS, they will also have an accreditation number issue ny NZIS.

This was my route into NZ. I spent some considerable time researching this subject which come under the talent visa catagory. I assisted my employer to become accredited, the entry route effectively becomes that much easier as the employer is accredited and that they have given you a formal job offer. Very few applications go through in the way, probably because people aren't aware of it and NZIS make very little reference to it.

Hope that helps in some way.

Andy. T
Old Feb 27th 2004, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Andy, that's useful. Do you have any links that you could recommend ?
Old Feb 27th 2004, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Default Acreditation

Originally posted by debtay
Thanks Andy, that's useful. Do you have any links that you could recommend ?
Best to surf the NZIS web site using their search facility. I was lazy but also a little more proactive than this, I contacted numerous UK based emigration consultants and quizzed them over the 'Talent Visa' via employer acreditation, amazingly not many of them were well versed on this catagory. Still worth calling them though. The guy I found useful just confirmed what I already new, but that in itself was comforting. Speak to Phill Platt at the Emigration Group 01244 321414, he's a really nice guy and a Kiwi, mention my name when you contact him. Phill has worked for both NZIS Christchurch and London as senior migration officer, his knowledge is wide spread. I was certain I would qualify but chose to use this company to give peace of mind and ensure no stone was left unturned so that my application goes through. I did however agree a reduced rate with them since I had done alot of the leg work. Your employer should also be in contact with NZIS Christchurch where they can either register as an acredited firm or to obtain their certificate. Once you have this life is so much easier and the risk is low to NZIS as effectively the company is sponsering.

My personal situation was not clear cut due to age and qualifications, in fact 6 consultants said I had no chance, how wrong they were. The immigration changes introduced last year have helped the route of application as it encourages applicants with job offers. I started life as an apprentice electrician but never completed my finals as the firm went bust, but I still had City & Guilds Part 1. I progressed my career to become a director of an engineering firm so my application was a little different. I was seeking a route into NZ based on my experience, base qualification and the job offer. It goes without saying that experience is often a better attraction to an employer over qualifications. Since I will not be in an hands on role the route chosen was correct and after all my employer would not have offered me the job if I couldn't do it. Everyone benefits.

Hope this helps.

Andy. T
Old Feb 27th 2004, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hello again. Thanks very much for the info. .It explains a lot

I went back over the "skilled stream: work to residence" notes that I downloaded a few days ago and see that it talks about the "Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy".

I must admit to being exceptionally dim here but had always skipped through this section thinking that it refered to Arts, Culture etc. and was not a separate category in it's own right. (doh!).

It was for people like me that immigration consultants were born to serve!!!

It would seem that our prospective employer has already registered and is accredited under this scheme. We can tick all of the Section B1 boxes on the work permit application form.

So from your experience, once the permit application and supporting documents are submitted, how long did it take to get it all approved?
Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Default Acreditation

It really depends on how ready and prepared you are. If you have all your documents in place, ie police certs, medicals, acreditation proof, job offer in writing etc then you could lodge you application with NZIS now. NZIS then confirm receipt of the lodged application within a few days, if approved your passports with your visa entry should be returned with 3/4 weeks as these types of application are somewhat treated as priority since a job offer is in place and the application is a lower than other methods. Personally I still have a chat with Phill Platt, if necessary arrange to meet him, the initial consultation fee is around £200, you could at this point go through your documents and decide whether or not to go DIY or use his services which will be around £1200.

If you want to discuss the process by phone I am available, best to drop me an email address and I will forward you my phone number. if I'm not hear my wife will help you.

Andy.

Originally posted by debtay
Hello again. Thanks very much for the info. .It explains a lot

I went back over the "skilled stream: work to residence" notes that I downloaded a few days ago and see that it talks about the "Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy".

I must admit to being exceptionally dim here but had always skipped through this section thinking that it refered to Arts, Culture etc. and was not a separate category in it's own right. (doh!).

It was for people like me that immigration consultants were born to serve!!!

It would seem that our prospective employer has already registered and is accredited under this scheme. We can tick all of the Section B1 boxes on the work permit application form.

So from your experience, once the permit application and supporting documents are submitted, how long did it take to get it all approved?