Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ education and Australian job

NZ education and Australian job

Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light
Default NZ education and Australian job

How would Australian employers view NZ education while looking for a job? Does it make any difference if the person is a NZ citizen?

My brother is thinking about going to NZ to study English and he eventually would like to get a PhD from the University of Auckland in Business. But he wants to get a job (preferably teaching job) in Australia and live there as a lot of his friends from college days live there as PRs.

You may ask why not Australia for English and PhD if that is where he wants to settle. The reason is that the NZ universities are much more affordable than the AUS universities. University of Auckland also offers resident tuition fees for international students in PhD level and it helps greatly when you cannot secure funding from other sources. Thanks.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ education and Australian job

Lots of New Zealanders live in Australia and have good jobs here so why not your brother. New Zealanders are one of the largest migrant groups here.

If he wants to teach though I would be visiting the Education sites in the States he is interested in to see how his qualifications stand up and whether he would need to do a course here as well.

Both my children are teachers and they both have other degrees and then did a post graduate teaching diploma to become teachers.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
If he wants to teach though I would be visiting the Education sites in the States he is interested in to see how his qualifications stand up and whether he would need to do a course here as well.
Thanks 4Margaret for your reply.

When I said he wants to teach, I was referring to teaching in a university level and I hope that there are not too many restrictions for a university teaching job like teaching job in school. If it is hard to find a teaching job or if he has to take too many courses to qualify, he can try for a corporate job or research job as long as they recognize his NZ degree in Australia. Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

If he can find a job, where he is allowed to take his shoes and socks off, so as to use his toes as a counting aid, then I'm sure he will be fine.

Only joking, of course he will be ok here, no problems with NZ education.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Most educational qualifications seem interchangeable or recognised between Australia and NZ, but it wouldn't hurt to ask one of the Universities. There should be a university website which will have a contact button to ask questions. If he gains NZ citizenship it means he can live and work in Oz without a visa, but still no unemployment benefit or student allowance available until he has lived in Oz for two years. If he moved to Oz and worked for 2 years until he had Oz citizenship he should be eligible for a student allowance and the fees will be much cheaper than for an international student. However I suspect a NZ PhD will stack up against an Aussie one.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you ozzieeagle and kiwinow for your time and reply.

It is good to know that Australian employers recognize NZ education.

I have heard that rule for NZ citizens not needing visa to live and work in Australia. How long do you think the Aus Govt keeps doing this? If a lot of NZ citizens keep moving there, they might change the rule soon and require visa or make it difficult for NZ citizens to move to Aus.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know the answer to that. I may be wrong but back in the dark ages when I was a child I think you could travel to Oz from NZ without a passport even. It works the other way too, of course. Aussies can work and live in NZ without a visa, and I think both countries like the friendly arrangement for now.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Want2Move

I have heard that rule for NZ citizens not needing visa to live and work in Australia. How long do you think the Aus Govt keeps doing this? If a lot of NZ citizens keep moving there, they might change the rule soon and require visa or make it difficult for NZ citizens to move to Aus.
One of the closest relationships you could ever get between two Countries. If the Kiwis would allow it, it could almost become a state of Australia. So I doubt if there will ever be restrictions between the two Countries. I'd say the relationship, is slightly closer than that between the US and Canada, and almost on a Par with the 4 home nations of Britain.

Got to respect the Kiwis, they love to Pee of the French
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:49 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Haha

And exactly who will do all the work then?????

Beware just being in NZ and gaining PR before seeking to come to Oz does not provide same conditions.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:04 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

everyone needs a visa... even NZers. They jsut get a special kind
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:46 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
everyone needs a visa... even NZers. They jsut get a special kind
Cuz we r special

Its all automated through our passports on entry. A friend likened it too sheep dipping or cattle tagging. Something eery in that comparison
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everybody for your reply and information.