Reload this Page >

NZ - Dunedin Schools, Places to live & Shipping

NZ - Dunedin Schools, Places to live & Shipping

Old Jan 28th 2004, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Pi-eater is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ - Dunedin Schools, Places to live & Shipping

Hi all,

Its my first time on this forum so I thought I might as well make it a big one (its also why I have no logo - boring!)! The title is probably back to front as well but anyway...here goes:

Shipping:
We are currently in the process of moving out to NZ - just waiting for the medical to get back & we can then send off the forms. Have done quite a bit of research into various shipping companies which is interesting as there is approx £1000 difference between lowest & highest - have not started playing them off each other yet. My question is has anyone had experience with/comments on the following companies:

Hoults (cheapest so far)
Allied Pickfords
Britannia
Crown - these guys say they are the best as its one company all the way thru - but most expensive!!

Housing in Dunedin:
Any hints of good/bad areas to live in and what the approx. cost of renting a 3-4 bedroom house would be?

Schools/Childcare:
Similar to the above question really - we have 2 kids - a 3 yr old and 5 yr old - any good schools/nurseries that anyone could suggest would be great!

Thanks,

Piet
Old Jan 28th 2004, 9:05 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all
Default Re: NZ - Dunedin Schools, Places to live & Shipping

Pie eater,

not read your question ER is just starting so I will get back that but you aren't from Wigan are you???

Jo B
Old Jan 28th 2004, 9:06 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

I think Mr Pleasance has some experience of Dunedin if my memory is correct??

J
Old Jan 28th 2004, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Pi-eater is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JoB
Pie eater,

not read your question ER is just starting so I will get back that but you aren't from Wigan are you???

Jo B
Nope - Nottingham - why do you ask (other than that you are from Wigan!)?
Old Jan 29th 2004, 12:40 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JoB
I think Mr Pleasance has some experience of Dunedin if my memory is correct??

J
Yep but kids are too young to go to school!

Schools - Dunedin is famous for great schools such as Otago Boys/ Girls. One of the best reputation schools is Andersons Bay which is lucky for me as it probably adds NZD50K on my house value! Zoned, you have to live in the catchment area (not many schools need this zoning).

Residential areas: Maori Hill is probably the best but there are lots of other good bits on the same side of town. On my side, Andersons Bay and Waverley are the best. That's not to say that you should avoid the other areas - bits such as St Kilda, Tanui, North East Valley are perfectly pleasant, too but just have slightly smaller, older, cheaper housing (big generalisation). If you want great ocean views, lots to choose from. Not really any awful bits to avoid.

Renting: just put our house up for rent at NZD350 a week, should get that or close, 3 beds. Available in 3 weeks if you're interested...
Attached Thumbnails NZ - Dunedin Schools, Places to live & Shipping-don.jpg  
Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:01 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

Originally posted by Pi-eater
Nope - Nottingham - why do you ask (other than that you are from Wigan!)?
Oh you've guessed it was the pie eating forum name that got me thinking.

As you know wiganers are known as pie eaters.

Anyway I see that the lovely Mr Pleasance has answered your question.

Jo