Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ: Decided Not to go, and its my 100th post

NZ: Decided Not to go, and its my 100th post

Old Jan 29th 2004, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light
Default NZ: Decided Not to go, and its my 100th post

Hi All

Well this will probably be my last post and its my 100th. Its been a while since we last updated you all and that’s because we have made some major life changing decisions.

We have decided not to make the move to NZ at the moment. There are many reasons for this and I have written that before on my previous posts.
The main reason was that we felt during our visit in August / September last year, that the cost of living was much too high based on our own personal circumstances. I would probably have got an ok wage on approx 70 – 80k NZ. My wife wouldn’t have worked, as she would have looked after the children of which, we have 2 aged 6 and 2.
The only way I would have got a job would have been to be sponsored by an accredited employer. That adds the additional pressure that if it doesn’t work in the job, we would HAVE to have come back or got another job with an accredited employer.

We also felt that at our current time of life, we wouldn’t gain that much from the move, although the circumstances could not have been better. I had just been redundant, we sold our home, and the kids were young enough to move. We spent over 3 months considering our options and at the same time looking at some opportunities in the Uk. This was a very difficult time as we kept putting of the decision. I felt that if we didn’t go to NZ, I would always wonder “What If� and it would play on my mind all the time.

Well that hasn’t been the case and I haven’t even thought about NZ for two weeks now, since starting my new job. For the last 5 months we have thought of nothing else but NZ and I mean everyday. I am working as a Business Development Manager for a small company based in North Wales, which is where we are originally from.
The job is terrific and I love every minute of it, although having not worked for over 5 months, it takes some getting used to.

My advice to anyone considering the move is, weigh up all of the pros and cons and be very aware of the cost of living. Its not cheap in NZ and anyone who says it is, is in a fortunate position to have good salaries or come over to NZ with loads of UK pounds.

We wish everybody on this site lots of luck with whatever you decide and if you don’t go, start your lives again with a clean canvas and don’t go back to the old routine. Not going can be the start of a new life and therefore the change you were looking for.
If anyone would like any info on our situation or advice then as always get intouch.

Live life to the full, and live your own lives and not other peoples.

All the best

The Harper Family.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Bloody great post.
Good luck to you and your family for the future.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers SJ

What I forgot to say was that my new job involves travel to China approx 4 times a year and possibly NZ if I can get our products sold out there.
We manufacture outdoor clothing, so the fit is perfect with NZ. Our Finance Director will be in NZ for his holiday in March, so I have got him on a scouting trip for retail outlets.
Of course I am best fit to come out to meet customers!!! Well thats what I am saying anyway.
You can never say never and I have always learnt you never close the door, but leave it open.

Paul
Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

mercedes1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Paul,

Since I first went to Oz 18 years ago , I knew that was where I wanted to be. But family and friends were the pull for me to stay in Blighty.
I've tried to find the right situation to go , and have visited on 4 more occasions but with the effort and commitment needed to go out there, I couldn't actually do it.
My life has evolved, my littlun is now 9 and I would much rather he grew up in Oz as well as me far preferring the warm weather but if if meant selling up everything , working all hours and never seeing him, it defeated the object.
Then someone threw me the line - you could always go as a student !!!
I am in the right situation to do it. My son has 2 years before senior school , so 2 years to be sure. I don't have to give everything up and my studies fall within his school hours.
THE TIME IS RIGHT, so I can finally do it .

You'll do it if it is right. If not, it is more right for you not to!!.

Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes you have to be on the brink of doing something before you finally realise its not right. Too often, people go just that step too far and regret it.

Continue to be happy with what you are doing. Make something of it and one day you'll end up where you want to be !!

I know this is a bit of ramble on, I'm sorry, but it is all so emotional for us.

Loads of luck to all of you.

Merc
Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:25 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Good to hear about your new job Pastor Flaps and I hope it might lead you to NZ in the end - I will certainly need some outdoorsy stuff when I get there!
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:01 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to hear you've made such a considered decision - I followed your posts with interest some time ago and wondered what you ended up deciding.

Sounds like you made the right one for you. I think sometimes people get so carried away with the whole emigration thing that they forget it might not actually be the right decision for their particular circumstances.

best of luck
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:41 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mercedes1
Paul,

Since I first went to Oz 18 years ago , I knew that was where I wanted to be. But family and friends were the pull for me to stay in Blighty.
I've tried to find the right situation to go , and have visited on 4 more occasions but with the effort and commitment needed to go out there, I couldn't actually do it.
My life has evolved, my littlun is now 9 and I would much rather he grew up in Oz as well as me far preferring the warm weather but if if meant selling up everything , working all hours and never seeing him, it defeated the object.
Then someone threw me the line - you could always go as a student !!!
I am in the right situation to do it. My son has 2 years before senior school , so 2 years to be sure. I don't have to give everything up and my studies fall within his school hours.
THE TIME IS RIGHT, so I can finally do it .

You'll do it if it is right. If not, it is more right for you not to!!.

Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes you have to be on the brink of doing something before you finally realise its not right. Too often, people go just that step too far and regret it.

Continue to be happy with what you are doing. Make something of it and one day you'll end up where you want to be !!

I know this is a bit of ramble on, I'm sorry, but it is all so emotional for us.

Loads of luck to all of you.

Merc
Hi M1,
We are planning to go out later this year on an employee exchange (hubby). I will be graduating from a BSc hons in Computing this year and the plan was for me to do a PGDE over there. However, it will cost a little under $16,000 for tuition alone so we may try to delay the exchange for a year or so which will allow me to do a PGCE here instead but at 40 I realise time is ticking on and we can't delay things for too long.

Our two boys are 9 months and 8 years old.

Best of luck with your course and your move.

Kind Regards
Ace
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck to you and your family.

footie chick
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:56 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ: Decided Not to go, and its my 100th post

Originally posted by Pastor Flaps
Hi All

Well this will probably be my last post and its my 100th. Its been a while since we last updated you all and that’s because we have made some major life changing decisions.

We have decided not to make the move to NZ at the moment. There are many reasons for this and I have written that before on my previous posts.
The main reason was that we felt during our visit in August / September last year, that the cost of living was much too high based on our own personal circumstances. I would probably have got an ok wage on approx 70 – 80k NZ. My wife wouldn’t have worked, as she would have looked after the children of which, we have 2 aged 6 and 2.
The only way I would have got a job would have been to be sponsored by an accredited employer. That adds the additional pressure that if it doesn’t work in the job, we would HAVE to have come back or got another job with an accredited employer.

We also felt that at our current time of life, we wouldn’t gain that much from the move, although the circumstances could not have been better. I had just been redundant, we sold our home, and the kids were young enough to move. We spent over 3 months considering our options and at the same time looking at some opportunities in the Uk. This was a very difficult time as we kept putting of the decision. I felt that if we didn’t go to NZ, I would always wonder “What If� and it would play on my mind all the time.

Well that hasn’t been the case and I haven’t even thought about NZ for two weeks now, since starting my new job. For the last 5 months we have thought of nothing else but NZ and I mean everyday. I am working as a Business Development Manager for a small company based in North Wales, which is where we are originally from.
The job is terrific and I love every minute of it, although having not worked for over 5 months, it takes some getting used to.

My advice to anyone considering the move is, weigh up all of the pros and cons and be very aware of the cost of living. Its not cheap in NZ and anyone who says it is, is in a fortunate position to have good salaries or come over to NZ with loads of UK pounds.

We wish everybody on this site lots of luck with whatever you decide and if you don’t go, start your lives again with a clean canvas and don’t go back to the old routine. Not going can be the start of a new life and therefore the change you were looking for.
If anyone would like any info on our situation or advice then as always get intouch.

All the best

The Harper Family.
very honest and enlightening post would like to wish you all the best for the rest of your life
Old Jan 29th 2004, 8:25 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

All the best

The Harper Family.
Very interesting post, thanks for sharing and the very best of luck with everything.
Kind Regards
Ace
Old Jan 29th 2004, 8:27 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

The Harper Family.
Hey Harpers, thanks for posting and best of luck with the job in Wales. Hope you weren't too (temporarily) upset at deciding not to go to NZ, I guess it was a downer but life goes on as you're proving.

Your comments about cost of living in NZ are spot on. The biggest negative about NZ is the typical VERY low levels of pay - this applies to more or less every job/ profession as far as I can see.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Cheers SJ

What I forgot to say was that my new job involves travel to China approx 4 times a year and possibly NZ if I can get our products sold out there.
We manufacture outdoor clothing, so the fit is perfect with NZ. Our Finance Director will be in NZ for his holiday in March, so I have got him on a scouting trip for retail outlets.
Of course I am best fit to come out to meet customers!!! Well thats what I am saying anyway.
You can never say never and I have always learnt you never close the door, but leave it open.

Paul
What about the Noth American Market ? people love the outdoors in Canada Winter and Summer they also love anything from "the old country as they say".. just a thought........