Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ Conditions on 6 month work search visa?

NZ Conditions on 6 month work search visa?

Old Aug 6th 2002, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

rich.arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ Conditions on 6 month work search visa?

Hi,

Does anyone know what conditions are attached to the 6 month job search visa? Obviously the main one is that you have 6 months to find work, but if you are successful are you required to stay for a fixed period with the employer, can you move positions or set up your own business? Thanks.

Rich
Old Aug 6th 2002, 4:26 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: NZ Conditions on 6 month work search visa?

You only need a genuine job *offer*- I don't think you even need to start the job, there's no check on that or on how long you stay in the job.
Employment must be:
a. in New Zealand, and
b. full-time, (that is it amounts to, on average, at least 30 hours per
week), and
c. ongoing (that is, for employment that is permanent, or indefinite, or
for a stated term of at least 12 months with an option for the
employee of further terms); and
d. genuine, and
e. compliant with all relevant employment law in force in New Zealand.

Of course you have a certain moral obligation to actually take up the job offer...
Old Aug 6th 2002, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

rich.arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

Of Course. Thanks.
Old Aug 7th 2002, 3:42 am
Rehman

When does actually clock start ticking for six months work visa? Is it when you
actually enter New Zealand or when you get your visa stamped?

Thanks!

newstartnz <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > You only need a genuine job *offer*- I don't think you even need to start the job,
    > there's no check on that or on how long you stay in the job. Employment must be:
    > a. in New Zealand, and
    > b. full-time, (that is it amounts to, on average, at least 30 hours per week), and
    > c. ongoing (that is, for employment that is permanent, or indefinite, or for a
    > stated term of at least 12 months with an option for the employee of further
    > terms); and
    > d. genuine, and
    > e. compliant with all relevant employment law in force in New Zealand.
    > Of course you have a certain moral obligation to actually take up the job offer...
    > --

Old Aug 7th 2002, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point

You have 3 months in which to take up the work visa.

Lizzie
Old Aug 7th 2002, 10:35 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

'Principal applicants who are issued with a work visa or granted a work permit under Temporary Entry policy for the purpose of seeking an offer of employment in New Zealand will have their residence application deferred:
i for a period of 9 months from the date of the letter from the NZIS advising that they are eligible to apply for the work visa, if applying outside New Zealand, or
ii for a period of 7 months from the date of the letter from the NZIS advising that they are eligible to apply for the work permit, if applying in New Zealand.'

I can't find any rule that says you MUST enter NZ within 3 months, doing that just ensures you get the maximum 6 months to find a job and complete your PR application. (But I could be wrong!)

Last edited by newstartnz; Aug 8th 2002 at 10:10 am.
Old Aug 8th 2002, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

This week we spoke to our case officer regarding further info required about previous employment, she was extremely helpful and as we are short of the 28 points passmark we intend to go on the work visa option, she agreed this was the way to go but wanted to know if we would be able to go within 3 months!! Therefore, I'm not sure whether this is a requirement or a preference?

Lizzie
Old Aug 8th 2002, 10:09 am
Banned

I guess it sounds like a requirement, must mean mz deduction was wrong
Old Aug 8th 2002, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

It is difficult to interpret these things and I must admit I don't know what to think half the time. It was only this week that I now understand the 8 points for a job offer but you have to be within 5 points of the passmark to get the work deferral visa. We were only going to put 1 point down for settlement funds as although we have sufficient funds and have sent them proof to get the whole 2 pts, we didn't want to commit to transferring all the proceeds from the house sale to NZ before we knew whether we were going to stay put or not. Our Case Officer (as we had a problem with proof of previous employment, basically cos the company no longer exists) suggested we put 2 pts for settlement funds and if we get the required job offer we will get 8 points and so will not need the 2 pts for settlement funds any more and wont have to transfer the money. This is what we were told, so I hope it's right - time will tell.

Lizzie
Old Aug 8th 2002, 2:05 pm
Banned

It's absolutely correct what the case officer says about the settlement funds, we were in a similar position to you, not knowing if we needed 2 points or 1: when we got extra points for something else we were not required to transfer what we originally proposed.
Old Aug 8th 2002, 10:02 pm
Rehman

Does anybody know for how long you have to keep the settlement funds (for which you
got 1 or 2 points) in NZ banks? Should that money be invested in some kind of Govt
bonds or anything like that? I searched the whole immigration website but couldn't
find any info on this.

Thanks!

lizzie <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > This week we spoke to our case officer regarding further info required about
    > previous employment, she was extremely helpful and as we are short of the 28 points
    > passmark we intend to go on the work visa option, she agreed this was the way to go
    > but wanted to know if we would be able to go within 3 months!! Therefore, I'm not
    > sure whether this is a requirement or a preference?
    > Lizzie

Old Aug 9th 2002, 4:16 am
Banned

Default Re: Re: NZ Conditions on 6 month work search visa?

Originally posted by Rehman
Does anybody know for how long you have to keep the settlement funds (for which you
got 1 or 2 points) in NZ banks? Should that money be invested in some kind of Govt
bonds or anything like that? I searched the whole immigration website but couldn't
find any info on this.
There's no requirement to keep the funds in NZ banks, in NZ, in NZD or in cash or bonds. You simply need to provide evidence that you have transferred the money to NZ in NZD. Eg a bank statement and proof of transfer is enough evidence.