Reload this Page >

NZ cars: to hire or to buy?

NZ cars: to hire or to buy?

Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

auxwuff is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking NZ cars: to hire or to buy?

Hi everyone!

myself and dani are going to live in Tauranga for one year in november and we were wondering whether it's best to hire a car or to purchase one?

does anyone have any recommendations regarding the best way to do either.

thankyou,

anna.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:39 am
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ cars: to hire or to buy?

Originally posted by auxwuff
Hi everyone!

myself and dani are going to live in Tauranga for one year in november and we were wondering whether it's best to hire a car or to purchase one?

does anyone have any recommendations regarding the best way to do either.

thankyou,

anna.
Hi Anna,

I cant talk from experience yet but I have been thinking what to do regarding this for a little while and have decided to hire a car upon arrival for a week and make it a priority to buy one in that time. I am not to comfortable with buying one on the internet that would be ready on arrival (though this would be convenient). However, if anybody has done this and would like to recommend any company they purchased it from, please let us know. Of course it would help to be in the city where you are arriving, we will probably be ariving in Christchurch to go to Wellington.

Rob
Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:57 am
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Originally posted by robernelli
Hi Anna,

I cant talk from experience yet but I have been thinking what to do regarding this for a little while and have decided to hire a car upon arrival for a week and make it a priority to buy one in that time. I am not to comfortable with buying one on the internet that would be ready on arrival (though this would be convenient). However, if anybody has done this and would like to recommend any company they purchased it from, please let us know. Of course it would help to be in the city where you are arriving, we will probably be ariving in Christchurch to go to Wellington.

Rob
Hi Anna and Rob,

We have actually bought our car now, we arrive in Christchurch on 26/10/03. We bought direct from an importer in Christchurch over the internet. They were recommended by a friend, we were sent digital photo's and we had the vehicle inspected by Canterbury Car Inspections, they gave us a full report which cost $135.00. This meant we could source the car we wanted including colour and spec and have got a three year full warranty.
This also means that when we land we can pick it up and don't have to hire, which is expensive for the size of vehicle we need. I am not saying this is the cheapest option if you searched the private ads you may find what you want. However moving the otherside of the world with four children, it just makes things go more smoothly. As for renting a car for a year, this would be a very expensive option and not one we personally would have considered.

Cheers Kev.

P.S Rob if you want further details e- mail me.

Old Oct 16th 2003, 9:02 am
Just Joined

auxwuff is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys
thanks for your help, will take it on board - only just over a week to go now and getting very excited!!!!
all the best
anna
Old Oct 16th 2003, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by St George Six
Hi Anna and Rob,

We have actually bought our car now, we arrive in Christchurch on 26/10/03. We bought direct from an importer in Christchurch over the internet. They were recommended by a friend, we were sent digital photo's and we had the vehicle inspected by Canterbury Car Inspections, they gave us a full report which cost $135.00. This meant we could source the car we wanted including colour and spec and have got a three year full warranty.
This also means that when we land we can pick it up and don't have to hire, which is expensive for the size of vehicle we need. I am not saying this is the cheapest option if you searched the private ads you may find what you want. However moving the otherside of the world with four children, it just makes things go more smoothly. As for renting a car for a year, this would be a very expensive option and not one we personally would have considered.

Cheers Kev.

P.S Rob if you want further details e- mail me.
Got a website for the importers Kev?

What did you buy?

Ta.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by robernelli
Hi Anna,

Rob

My brother in New Zealand told me the other day that you get the best deals price wise by buying a car at auction, it seems these are very popular for cars now too! Apparantly cars that would be $13,000 on a car yard you could get for $7000 - 8000 at auction. AUction places should be listed in www.yellowpages.co.nz

Best, Sarah
Old Oct 16th 2003, 9:27 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sarah2004
My brother in New Zealand told me the other day that you get the best deals price wise by buying a car at auction, it seems these are very popular for cars now too! Apparantly cars that would be $13,000 on a car yard you could get for $7000 - 8000 at auction. AUction places should be listed in www.yellowpages.co.nz

Best, Sarah
You can get EXTREMELY keen prices at auction, went to a couple at Turner's who are the big name with several auctions a week and offer warranty options too. On the net.

Used car prices down nearly 4% again last month. Best value in the world.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 6:39 am
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
Got a website for the importers Kev?

What did you buy?

Ta.
HI,
Darren e-mail me and I will give you the details. For those of you buying cars and starting businesses remember you can get GST back, unlike the UK where it is only on commercial vehicles, this has just saved us $5000. As I said before our route in buying from importer was not as cheap as auction, but we were able to so specify exact colour, spec etc and got a three year warranty. It also means we have wheels when we land. I am also going to need a couple of vans and will check out at the auctions.

Cheers Kev
4 days to go.