Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ - buying second-hand car

NZ - buying second-hand car

Old Mar 25th 2003, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light
Default NZ - buying second-hand car

Hi again!

We're arriving very shortly in Christchurch - where/how is the best way to start the search for a secondhand car? I understand there are car auctions somewhere every weekend, but that's really NOT what I had in mind unless there's some guarantee with the purchase..

What about reconditioned Toyotas? Are they sold in NZ?

Selling my '96 Nissan Altima here, only 59K miles, for about US$3,000 - $3,500 (NZ$5500-6500). I'll never get a deal like that in NZ..... will I??? Is there a NZ 'blue book' I could refer to for purchase values of second hand cars?

Thanks for any help.

TA!
Old Mar 25th 2003, 9:15 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZ - buying second-hand car

Originally posted by The American
Hi again!

We're arriving very shortly in Christchurch - where/how is the best way to start the search for a secondhand car? I understand there are car auctions somewhere every weekend, but that's really NOT what I had in mind unless there's some guarantee with the purchase..

What about reconditioned Toyotas? Are they sold in NZ?

Selling my '96 Nissan Altima here, only 59K miles, for about US$3,000 - $3,500 (NZ$5500-6500). I'll never get a deal like that in NZ..... will I??? Is there a NZ 'blue book' I could refer to for purchase values of second hand cars?

Thanks for any help.

TA!

Hi there

We don't know of a blue book type publication. Most cars are Jap imports. There is an Car Trader weekly publication but most of them are North Island there is not one dedicated to the South Island.
You are best off taking a drive down Moorhouse Avenue where all the major car yards are situated. Competition is very keen there is a massive choice from about $8000 up. If you want to spend less than this figure get a Buy,Sell, Exchange publication which is out every Friday for private sales.

Hope this helps

Paula
Old Mar 25th 2003, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Jaffa30 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi TA

you'll probably be pleasantly surprised with the value of cars in nz. jap imports are very common and provide good value.

most car-yards should provide AA (Automobile Association) vehicle inspections which are impartial assessments. would recommend joining AA. heaps of benefits such as free emergency breakdown service, free driving maps, as well as discounts on accommodation around NZ.

are you ready to drive on the left-hand side of the road
Old Mar 25th 2003, 12:44 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

We bought a car when we went to validate the PR visas, then left it with a friend in Christchurch, ready for our return in June.

It is a 1994 Nissan Bluebird 1.8L i Jap import, fully loaded (I think thats what the americans say for all the extras!) 90000km on the clock for NZ$5500

We bought it in Auckland, from a car rental place, which was making room for new stock. Great car, no probs, no worries.

Should still be plenty of choice in Ch/ch, as Watt Dabney says, he lives there!!
Old Mar 25th 2003, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

Try the classified section of the NZ herald

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/m...ication=51,52.

Also go to www.toyota.co.nz and click on the dealer locator. Each dealer has a website with the stock of second hand cars.

Good luck

Steve