Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ Big Immigration Shake Up

NZ Big Immigration Shake Up

Old Sep 17th 2001, 12:01 am
Just Joined

emigratenz is an unknown quantity at this point

The NZ government has announced big changes to New Zealand immigration policy. The changes are aimed at attracting more talented people to come here.

Read the details along with some interesting statistics about the migrant contribution to the NZ economy:

http://www.emigratenz.com/article1016.html
Old Sep 17th 2001, 6:28 am
Pollodiablo

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

New Zealand still suffers a lot from Brain Drain, ie. more skilled people leaving
than entering the country. I do not believe this new policy is going to be any help
in this since the employers haven't changed their views. Employers want LOCAL
experience and qualifications. So most of these people will enter NZ with high hopes,
only to leave again after a year (or however long their savings last).

The job market is strong for unskilled and low skilled labour. I.e. panelbeaters,
chefs, waiters/bar personnel, care persons can easily find a job. The only exception
is nurses. Nurses can choose where to work. But I think there's a shortage of nurses
everywhere in the world.

My husband is a highly skilled network engineer (MCSE) with experience. But he
has been turned down countless times. The only kind of job he is ever offered is
phone support, which he hates, and in the end he won't get the job because of his
accent anyway.

So unless they find a way to change the employers' attitude they can boost
immigration as much as they like, the Brain Drain will remain.

Old Sep 18th 2001, 3:27 am
Just Joined

emigratenz is an unknown quantity at this point

Pollodiablo,

There is certainly some truth in what you say but I'd like to amplify some points.

1. " So most of these people will enter NZ with high hopes, only to leave again after a year (or however long their savings last."

Although I don't have exact figures to hand, I recall that the great majority of British immigrants settle successfully in New Zealand and do not leave again after a year.

2. "Employers demand local experience."

Neither I nor other immigrants I know personally have found a problem with this - but we may just have been lucky.

I've discussed this "local experience" problem with NZ employment agencies and we've reported on it on the Emigrate NZ Web-site.

NZ Employment agencies acknowledge that many NZ employers do want some local experience - but, they say, it does not stop immigrants being offered jobs. It can mean that sometimes you might need to take a step down from where you were overseas. Once you establish yourself, you should find no further difficulties.

The New Zealand Immigration Service also acknowledges that there is a "local experience" problem and they have funded the NewKiwis Initiative to improve the situation. NewKiwis is aimed at finding jobs for immigrants that match their skills.

Leah Gates, Project Manager with Auckland Chamber of Commerce, kindly reported progress on the NewKiwis Initiative on the Emigrate NZ Web-site, including the fact that, in its first 18 weeks, 170 NZ employers have joined the initiative.

http://www.emigratenz.com/article1015.html

These employers recognise the benefits that immigrant employees can bring to their organisations.

I expect to see the NewKiwis project gain considerable momentum in the weeks and months ahead.

3. "more skilled people leaving than entering the country"

I'm not sure if this is correct right now. The NZ economy has picked up a bit recently. The most recent figures show more people arriving through immigration than leaving through emigration.

It's difficult to know the skill-levels of those leaving compared with those entering - although I'd be very interested in such figures if they're available.

Certainly most people entering via general skills are, by definition, skilled. Of course, there are also family category immigrants who may be unskilled.

Many skilled graduates do leave the country - partly reflecting the fact that NZ universities churn out a large number of graduates in subjects for which there is no economic demand in New Zealand. A lot of unskilled people also leave to work in Australia.

To determine the current numbers of "skilled people" leaving compared with entering I think is very difficult.

4. "My husband is a highly skilled network engineer (MCSE) with experience. But he has been turned down countless times."

I can only say that I'm really sorry to hear this. I know from e-mails we've received at EmigrateNZ that there are employers out there keen to give immigrants a go. Perhaps at this stage, we just need more of them.

If you'd like to write to me at EmigrateNZ with a bit more detail about your case, I'd be really happy to hear from you.

Dr. Douglas Stewart
Editor
Emigrate NZ
http://www.emigratenz.com
Old Sep 18th 2001, 9:05 am
Natalie

>
    >
    >
    >

I strongly agree with Pollodiablo on this because I have experienced it myself for 3
months. It was more of agony than frustration. I started my search for job in
Auckland but only being offered a helpdesk support role which all I have to do is log
phone call. I didn't accept it because that is not what I want. My ex employers
consider me as a highly experienced network engineer with all the certifications and
qualification that an employer is looking for but was being told by not one but
almost all of the IT recruiters that I lack the so-called local experience. The
reason they gave me is I may have years of experience but all those companies which I
have worked for are not known to the NZ employers so they rather not take immigrants.
In the end out of desperation for a job, I was prepared to be underpaid and to accept
an entry level job but was not successful either because recruiters think that I am
over-qualified. This is really a good joke because I lack local experience and at the
same time over-qualified. Luckily after 3 months, a company in Wellington doesn't
mind me being an immigrant and offered me a job.

Natalie

Old Sep 18th 2001, 11:31 am
Blindog

are you serious? Turned down because of his "accent"? (there are some problems for
immigrants finding work here in Canada but that would be unthinkable)

BD

, and in the end he won't get
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 19th 2001, 5:53 am
Pollodiablo

>
    >

Yes, the recruiter told him she had to call all "foreign" applicants and discuss with
the employer. My husband has a bit of an accent, you can hear he's from the
Netherlands, but it's not bad at all. Needless to say we never heard from her again.
Out of the 20 helpsdesks and service lines and what have you I have called over the
last 9 months I think I have spoken to only 1 native English speaker. The rest were
somewhere between "I can hear you have an accent" (about the same as my husband) to
"Can you repeat that again, I still don't understand after you've said it 5 times".

Old Sep 20th 2001, 4:32 am
Vinod Gupta

I too had to struggle a lot to get a job with the common refrain being that I lacked
local experience. One's work experience in any country other than NZ seems to count
for little. And this was the problem faced by almost all the new immigrants here from
many countries. When I said that give me a entry-level job, most of the consultants
said that most of the employers want local academic qualifications. Then I enrolled
for some courses here(Which I had to do anyways to complete the academic requirement
for the Institute of Chartered accountants of NZ). After getting couple of A's in
those courses I went back to the consultants to hear a new excuse-employers want
fresh graduates with no work experience!!! I have heard of cases where people offered
to work for free to gain the local experience only to be turned down!! It doesn't
make sense to me. When i finally got a job it was after hiding most of my higher
qualifications and varied work experience in India, Singapore, UK. It seems quite
stupid to me..

VG

[email protected] (Natalie)
[usenetquote2]> > 2. "Employers demand local experience."[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Neither I nor other immigrants I know personally have found a problem with this -[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > but we may just have been lucky.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 20th 2001, 8:01 am
Joseph

You probably didn't know employment consultants are 'cowboys' in OZ/NZ. They are
nothing more than brokers looking for quick a buck. They are not trained in Human
Resource or Personnel management. Real Estate agents, Car Dealers, and even Towies
are more qualified than employment consultants in OZ/NZ. Do not let these crooks with
half a secondary education tell you that you are not qualified. Then again, if you
had half the local experience you'll know what I'm talking about.

"Vinod Gupta" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > > 2. "Employers demand local experience."[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Neither I nor other immigrants I know personally have found a problem with this[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > - but we may just have been lucky.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I strongly agree with Pollodiablo on this because I have experienced it myself[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for 3 months. It was more of agony than frustration. I started my search for job[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > in Auckland but only being offered a helpdesk support role which all I have to do[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > is log phone call. I didn't accept it because that is not what I want. My ex[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > employers consider me as a highly experienced network engineer with all the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > certifications and qualification that an employer is looking for but was being[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > told by not one but almost all of the IT recruiters that I lack the so-called[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > local experience. The reason they gave me is I may have years of experience but[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > all those companies which I have worked for are not known to the NZ employers so[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > they rather not take immigrants. In the end out of desperation for a job, I was[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > prepared to be underpaid and to accept an entry level job but was not successful[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > either because recruiters think that I am over-qualified. This is really a good[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > joke because I lack local experience and at the same time over-qualified. Luckily[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > after 3 months, a company in Wellington doesn't mind me being an immigrant and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > offered me a job.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Natalie[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 20th 2001, 8:09 am
Joseph

Are these people nuts? Tell me my chances of scoring a job in France, Germany,
Netherlands, or some non-English speaking countries if I could only speak English?

>

[usenetquote2]> > > are you serious? Turned down because of his "accent"? (there are some problems[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > for immigrants finding work here in Canada but that would be unthinkable)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Yes, the recruiter told him she had to call all "foreign" applicants and discuss[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > with the employer. My husband has a bit of an accent, you can[/usenetquote2]
hear
[usenetquote2]> > he's from the Netherlands, but it's not bad at all. Needless to say we never[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > heard from her again. Out of the 20 helpsdesks and service lines and what have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > you I have[/usenetquote2]
called
[usenetquote2]> > over the last 9 months I think I have spoken to only 1 native English speaker.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The rest were somewhere between "I can hear you have an accent" (about the same[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > as my husband) to "Can you repeat that again, I still don't understand after[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > you've said it 5 times".[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
the
    >
    >
communication
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 20th 2001, 1:38 pm
Brandbrief

You couldn't have said it better, 9 months my wife is trying to get a job, a degree
in Human Resources, 5 years work experience with the crime dept. of the dutch police,
even though it's not local experience, at least the police is known around the world.
Those Cowboys as you call them haven't got a clue what they're doing, they refused to
answer her calls because she was calling them back.

Aussies wake up, the world doesn't stop at the borders, there's more out there.

Mark

in article [email protected], Joseph at [email protected] wrote
on 20/09/01 16:01:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]>>>> 2. "Employers demand local experience."[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>>> Neither I nor other immigrants I know personally have found a problem with this[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>>> - but we may just have been lucky.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> I strongly agree with Pollodiablo on this because I have experienced it myself[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> for 3 months. It was more of agony than frustration. I started my search for job[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> in Auckland but only being offered a helpdesk support role which all I have to do[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> is log phone call. I didn't accept it because that is not what I want. My ex[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> employers consider me as a highly experienced network engineer with all the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> certifications and qualification that an employer is looking for but was being[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> told by not one but almost all of the IT recruiters that I lack the so-called[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> local experience. The reason they gave me is I may have years of experience but[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> all those companies which I have worked for are not known to the NZ employers so[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> they rather not take immigrants. In the end out of desperation for a job, I was[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> prepared to be underpaid and to accept an entry level job but was not successful[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> either because recruiters think that I am over-qualified. This is really a good[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> joke because I lack local experience and at the same time over-qualified. Luckily[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> after 3 months, a company in Wellington doesn't mind me being an immigrant and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> offered me a job.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> Natalie[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 21st 2001, 1:07 am
Joseph

They sussed you out Chris. They know you are a Muslim snitch.

>

[usenetquote2]> > You couldn't have said it better, 9 months my wife is trying to get a[/usenetquote2]
job,
    >
[usenetquote2]> > degree in Human Resources, 5 years work experience with the crime dept.[/usenetquote2]
of
[usenetquote2]> > the dutch police, even though it's not local experience, at least the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > is known around the world. Those Cowboys as you call them haven't got a clue what[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > they're doing,[/usenetquote2]
they
[usenetquote2]> > refused to answer her calls because she was calling them back.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Aussies wake up, the world doesn't stop at the borders, there's more out there.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
feeling
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >