Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ is in better shape than I thought

NZ is in better shape than I thought

Old Feb 24th 2004, 8:50 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ is in better shape than I thought

If this is all NZ politicians have to worry about, NZ is in better shape than I thought.....

Challenged spitters say practice may be unpleasant but it's not offensive

By STUART DYE
Student Tony Zhang confesses to being a regular spitter and although he admits it's "not very nice" he doesn't see too much wrong with it.

"It's like smoking in the street; not everyone likes it, but you should be allowed to do it if you want to."

Auckland Mayor John Banks wants people to tell immigrants that the "filthy habit" is not welcome here.

But Mr Zhang, from China, said it was not necessarily a cultural idiosyncrasy.

"Most of my friends at university spit in the streets and they are a mixture of Asian, New Zealanders and others."

Mr Banks' mission to eradicate spitting on the streets does not seem to have taken off.

Almost a dozen people were spotted spitting by the Herald in an hour on Queen St yesterday.

Many of those, the majority of whom were Asian, were reluctant to discuss or defend their habit.

But those who did said they saw little wrong with it.

Another student, who declined to give his name, agreed it was "unpleasant" but said a fine of $160 was far too severe a punishment.

Mr Banks believes education rather than enforcement is the key because "many spitters come from countries where it is acceptable and that is not the case here".

But David Wong, vice-president of the Auckland Ethnic Council, said that was an outdated view.

In China, fines were introduced for spitting on the street as long as 15 years ago, he said. "But if a policy to outlaw it was introduced, the general Asian population would feel they were being picked on."

A spokeswoman from East West, an organisation helping to settle Japanese immigrants in New Zealand, said the practice was not as common as it used to be, but was also not perceived as offensive.

"It's acceptable, the same as making slurping noises when eating noodles, but people here are embarrassed about that kind of thing," said the spokeswoman.

On National Radio yesterday, Mr Banks widened the scope of his attack to people spitting in the sporting arena, which he said encourage youngsters to spit.