Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ - Aussie - risks, benefits, views?

NZ - Aussie - risks, benefits, views?

Old Nov 1st 2015, 10:45 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ - Aussie - risks, benefits, views?

Hi everyone

Just after a bit of insight into life in Aussie. Love to visit but as I know living there is very different to being a tourist.

We have been in Auckland for 8+ years now and I had decided to move back to the UK in May next year, as I have a real feeling of needing to belong and I certainly don't belong in NZ.

My youngest daughter (25) was very very keen to move home and really pushed for it to be sooner than later, so we have agreed that May would work for us all, BUT she has now decided that Melbourne would suit her needs better - free PhD etc., and is afraid of terrorism and changes in British culture - which I understand; but she can't afford to move on her own.

So I have agreed to just get some perspective on the risks of moving to Aussie, job situation, costs etc. We would be looking at Melbourne.

My heart actually says the UK, but I want to cover all things just in case...

By the way - DH & I are early 50's, he's a service delivery manager in IT and I'm a palliative care nurse just completing my PhD - so would be looking for something more interesting. And job wise - is it like NZ where you generally have to start at the bottom and work up? For me, there are so many opportunities in the UK.

Sorry for the ramble... feeling very confused and in a state of flux just when I thought it was sorted.

Tks
Old Nov 1st 2015, 11:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ - Aussie - risks, benefits, views?

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
Hi everyone

Just after a bit of insight into life in Aussie. Love to visit but as I know living there is very different to being a tourist.

We have been in Auckland for 8+ years now and I had decided to move back to the UK in May next year, as I have a real feeling of needing to belong and I certainly don't belong in NZ.

My youngest daughter (25) was very very keen to move home and really pushed for it to be sooner than later, so we have agreed that May would work for us all, BUT she has now decided that Melbourne would suit her needs better - free PhD etc., and is afraid of terrorism and changes in British culture - which I understand; but she can't afford to move on her own.

So I have agreed to just get some perspective on the risks of moving to Aussie, job situation, costs etc. We would be looking at Melbourne.

By the way - DH & I are early 50's, he's a service delivery manager in IT and I'm a palliative care nurse just completing my PhD - so would be looking for something more interesting. And job wise - is it like NZ where you generally have to start at the bottom and work up? For me, there are so many opportunities in the UK.

Sorry for the ramble... feeling very confused and in a state of flux just when I thought it was sorted.

Tks
My first thought is that your daughter is 25 years old - not a child anymore. If she wants to move to Melbourne then she should move to Melbourne. If you want to move to the UK then you should move to the UK. If your daughter can't afford to move on her own then she could surely find a house share or look for cheap student accommodation.

And yes you will likely need to start at a lower position and work your way up if you move here.
Old Nov 1st 2015, 11:28 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Well we have lived in the UK, NZ and Melbourne, and I can honestly say for us, Melbourne combines the best of NZ and the UK, plus it has far better weather than either!

As an NZ SDM, your hubbie should be able to find good work here and not have to work from the bottom up - Telstra, IBM, HP, Optus, etc etc etc all employ this role.

I assume you are NZ citizens? And I also assume you know that would make you temporary residents here, and being over 50, no chance of ever getting PR or citizenship under the current regulations. On a day-to-day basis, this doesn't make much of a difference, but sometimes you have to explain things as NZ citizens are a "grey area", counted as PR for some things and TR for others. On the plus side, in Australia you will not have to declare any earnings overseas (eg if you rented your NZ house out).

Lots to think about - feel free to ask away if you have any questions about Melbourne.

BB
Old Nov 1st 2015, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Tks

Australia, like the UK and NZ is just another first world country with the same issues I'm afraid. It is not free of terrorism, a quick read of online newspapers will highlight recent reports.

How many years would you live in Aus before you felt that you could leave your daughter to stand on her own two feet if she decided to live here forever? My reason for asking is that you mention that you are in your early 50s. Obviously the sooner you start earning in the UK and contributing to your state pension the better it would be for you both if that is your long term goal.
Old Nov 1st 2015, 11:45 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My first thought is that your daughter is 25 years old - not a child anymore. If she wants to move to Melbourne then she should move to Melbourne. If you want to move to the UK then you should move to the UK. If your daughter can't afford to move on her own then she could surely find a house share or look for cheap student accommodation.

And yes you will likely need to start at a lower position and work your way up if you move here.
Thanks Dorothy - and I don't necessarily disagree with you. There again we are a very small tightly knit family and do what we can for each other if we can, so although she is 25, it's not always just about age.

I was looking for a bit more info on the move to Aussie, jobs etc. I have looked on Seek Au and to be honest the options aren't great and I think I will have many more opportunities back home. I also do not wish to start on the bottom rung of the ladder again as I did here in New Zealand with 15 years clinical experience and I now have 20+ years.

I think it's just making sure I'm not missing something
Old Nov 1st 2015, 11:46 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by Mammabear

Australia, like the UK and NZ is just another first world country with the same issues I'm afraid. It is not free of terrorism, a quick read of online newspapers will highlight recent reports.

How many years would you live in Aus before you felt that you could leave your daughter to stand on her own two feet if she decided to live here forever? My reason for asking is that you mention that you are in your early 50s. Obviously the sooner you start earning in the UK and contributing to your state pension the better it would be for you both if that is your long term goal.
We would only be looking at a couple of years and to be honest two moves is just a bit daunting in reality. I am very conscience of needing to be back to make sure our retirement goes ok - I think we only need another 7 years of contributions for full state pension, so time is of the essence.
Old Nov 1st 2015, 11:48 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Well we have lived in the UK, NZ and Melbourne, and I can honestly say for us, Melbourne combines the best of NZ and the UK, plus it has far better weather than either!

As an NZ SDM, your hubbie should be able to find good work here and not have to work from the bottom up - Telstra, IBM, HP, Optus, etc etc etc all employ this role.

I assume you are NZ citizens? And I also assume you know that would make you temporary residents here, and being over 50, no chance of ever getting PR or citizenship under the current regulations. On a day-to-day basis, this doesn't make much of a difference, but sometimes you have to explain things as NZ citizens are a "grey area", counted as PR for some things and TR for others. On the plus side, in Australia you will not have to declare any earnings overseas (eg if you rented your NZ house out).

Lots to think about - feel free to ask away if you have any questions about Melbourne.

BB
Thanks Buzzy Bee. Good news about SDM work.

Yes citizens and I know we are too old for PR. We did originally look at Aussie over NZ but timelines were too tight even then.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 1:22 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just the free PHD that is the magnet? Because the rest shouldn't really be concerns compared to moving to AU.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 1:46 am
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by astera
Is it just the free PHD that is the magnet? Because the rest shouldn't really be concerns compared to moving to AU.
No as she already has an offer from Edinburgh with scholarship

I think has a lot to do with the idea that when you migrate you change and cannot necessarily fit back in anywhere as well as issues around safety etc. Where we live north of Auckland is very safe and that bothers her
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

....and I know we are too old for PR

Actually you are NOT too old for PR (although your information is old )

If you (or your husband) worked 4 years for the same employer (and given you fulfill certain minimum-wage requirements) you could apply for PR, then get citizenship a year later.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 3:58 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

We would only be looking at a couple of years and to be honest two moves is just a bit daunting in reality. I am very conscience of needing to be back to make sure our retirement goes ok - I think we only need another 7 years of contributions for full state pension, so time is of the essence.
You're probably already aware of this but just in case , under the new pension rules you'll need 35 years of NI contributions or credits to get a full state pension (up from the previous 30 years).

Best of luck with whatever you decide, it's hard when you feel pulled in different directions.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 4:01 am
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by benhila
....and I know we are too old for PR

Actually you are NOT too old for PR (although your information is old )

If you (or your husband) worked 4 years for the same employer (and given you fulfill certain minimum-wage requirements) you could apply for PR, then get citizenship a year later.
Well I didn't know that! Thank you
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 4:03 am
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You're probably already aware of this but just in case , under the new pension rules you'll need 35 years of NI contributions or credits to get a full state pension (up from the previous 30 years).

Best of luck with whatever you decide, it's hard when you feel pulled in different directions.
Yes Spouse of Scouse - which is why we need another 7 years of contributions, as I had 28 years in before coming to NZ and DH had 29.

Yes, very torn, although to be honest I think just putting it into words on here has helped me a lot and it was that fleeting moment of ... oh no.. not another option. We have talked a lot again this afternoon, and for me I think to move twice is just too much and too expensive - especially with cat and dog in tow... but watch this space. The one thing that is certain is that we will be moving mid way through 2016!
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

Happy to help. Have a look at the link below

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/...ored-Programme
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 4:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes Spouse of Scouse - which is why we need another 7 years of contributions, as I had 28 years in before coming to NZ and DH had 29.

Yes, very torn, although to be honest I think just putting it into words on here has helped me a lot and it was that fleeting moment of ... oh no.. not another option. We have talked a lot again this afternoon, and for me I think to move twice is just too much and too expensive - especially with cat and dog in tow... but watch this space. The one thing that is certain is that we will be moving mid way through 2016!
It does help sometimes to put it in to writing and have some other people's insight too But at the end of the day, you have to do what is right for you and yours. I wish you all the best with your move (or moves lol) x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.