Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ 26 Points - Any Ideas??

NZ 26 Points - Any Ideas??

Old Jul 1st 2002, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

SimonC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ 26 Points - Any Ideas??

Just been told 2 differenent things by NZ Immigration - 1 said that as our qualifications were being assessed before the rise then we only needed 25 points and when I phoned up for clarification they are now saying we need the 28.

The 26 does not include a job offer - would anybody know if it is easier just to go on a tourist visa - apply for the job search and defer the application while trying to get a 2 point job offer.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Simon
Old Jul 1st 2002, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

p__sullivan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ 26 Points - Any Ideas??

Hi Simon,
not to worry, we are in a similar boat to you (24pts.. without job)

As far as i'm aware if your application wasn't in before the prescribed date then you will now have to have 28 pts. However you will be granted a 6 months visa to try and get a job, with the points you already have. ..8pts for a job relevant to your qualifications and 2 pts for any full time permanent job. So either way, if you can get a job.. you should be home and dry.

unless of course you happen to be a millionare then a job is something you would have had to had anyway.

The only other possible option to the 6 months work visa (only valid for the principle applicant.. so if there are 2 of you then your partner can't work on it) is a working holiday visa.. valid for 1 yr.
Slightly more complicated than the 6 month one in that you cannot get permanent work with it.. so it would entail a slight juggling act of persuading an employer to take you on temporary with the understanding that its to be a permanent offer until you have had your application processed by NZIS

i hope that last lot made sense...
the 6 month one is a lot more straight forward, however the working holiday gives more time

cheers

Paul
Old Jul 2nd 2002, 1:20 am
Winnie

"SimonC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Just been told 2 differenent things by NZ Immigration - 1 said that as our
    > qualifications were being assessed before the rise then we only needed 25 points
    > and when I phoned up for clarification they are now saying we need the 28.
    >
    > The 26 does not include a job offer - would anybody know if it is easier just to go
    > on a tourist visa - apply for the job search and defer the application while trying
    > to get a 2 point job offer.

I think you'd need a work visa rather than a tourist visa but I'm no expert - I'm
sure they'll be along soon )

It would definitely be easier to get a job in person rather than from abroad.

Cheers Winnie

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 7:33 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Simon,

Definitely preferred route is to get the work permit before you go to NZ. You would therefore apply for PR, fall 2 points short, and NZIS would automatically give you the option of applying for and immediately receiving a work visa/permit - see relevant section from www.immigration.govt.nz:

<Note: If your points score is within 5 points of the passmark at the time your application is made, you may apply for a work visa/permit or LPV/LPP (if so determined by NZIS) to enable you to seek employment in New Zealand if you have:

not already claimed points for an offer of employment; and
met the health, character, and English language requirements>

All the best
Old Jul 2nd 2002, 12:20 pm
Phil

If you apply for a pr and dont have enough points you will be offered a work deferal
visa. (this is what we are going on) and as paul said you will have six months in nz
to get a job. with 26 points you can get any job, so you will be fine. With a working
holiday visa you need to be under 30 and you cant take any children with you. (which
is our problem as we have a 3 year old son).

I hope this helps

Emily

"p__sullivan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi Simon, not to worry, we are in a similar boat to you (24pts.. without job)
    >
    > As far as i'm aware if your application wasn't in before the prescribed date then
    > you will now have to have 28 pts. However you will be granted a 6 months visa to
    > try and get a job, with the points you already have. .8pts for a job relevant to
    > your qualifications and 2 pts for any full time permanent job. So either way, if
    > you can get a job.. you should be home and dry.
    >
    > unless of course you happen to be a millionare then a job is something you would
    > have had to had anyway.
    >
    > The only other possible option to the 6 months work visa (only valid for the
    > principle applicant.. so if there are 2 of you then your partner can't work on it)
    > is a working holiday visa.. valid for 1 yr. Slightly more complicated than the 6
    > month one in that you cannot get permanent work with it.. so it would entail a
    > slight juggling act of persuading an employer to take you on temporary with the
    > understanding that its to be a permanent offer until you have had your application
    > processed by NZIS
    >
    > i hope that last lot made sense... the 6 month one is a lot more straight forward,
    > however the working holiday gives more time
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Paul
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 8:20 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

You also asked for other ideas. Here is another: wait until a couple of months after the next NZ election, when the points passmark will go down to 25-26. You heard it here first!

All the best
Old Jul 3rd 2002, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

SimonC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Thanks for all the input. It's my partner with the points and I've already had a Working Holiday Visa, so I think were going to bite the bullet and head down there before putting our application in and try and get the 6 month Working visa, though by the time we get there the points might be back down anyway so it might not matter.

I think we have enough contacts there that it shouldn't be too difficult to get a job offer (even a 2 pointer) so fingers crossed.

Thanks again and good luck to everyone.

Simon
Old Jul 4th 2002, 1:20 pm
Phil

When and where are you going? We are off to wellington hopefully some time in august.
Maybe we could get together foe a coffee or beer?

Emily

"SimonC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Thanks for all the input. It's my partner with the points and I've already had a
    > Working Holiday Visa, so I think were going to bite the bullet and head down
    > there before putting our application in and try and get the 6 month Working visa,
    > though by the time we get there the points might be back down anyway so it might
    > not matter.
    >
    > I think we have enough contacts there that it shouldn't be too difficult to get a
    > job offer (even a 2 pointer) so fingers crossed.
    >
    > Thanks again and good luck to everyone.
    >
    > Simon
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 6th 2002, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

p__sullivan is an unknown quantity at this point

I see that its coffee time in wellington, thats funny as me and the missus are also heading to Wellington in August. Rented a nice little place just up the coast near Kapiti Island, not far from Wellington, not far from Palmerston North

we're doing the working holiday approach so that we have a full year to try and land a job

good luck

Paul