British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   NZ- 25 pts now-what if passmark jumps? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/nz-25-pts-now-what-if-passmark-jumps-112380/)

Black Sheep Oct 6th 2002 4:48 pm

NZ- 25 pts now-what if passmark jumps?

We're a family of 4, have 25 points, had all medicals/xrays done, just have to finish getting together all evidence/proof of work experience & settlement funds (not fun!)

Passmark will be 30 presumably atleast for a month (**oh my gawd, horrible thought -I've been wrong before, could I be wrong about this too? pls advise**), so we should be OK to get our PR application in while we're still w/in 5 pts..

BUT, our police certificates might not be in our hands for 4 or 5 weeks.

So, QUESTION: What do we do if warning comes of passmark jump, and police certificate hasn't arrived? Should we go ahead and send in application anyway and explain situation, then send on PC when it arrives?

We cannot wait for passmark to come down, it's now or not for a long time. So thanks for any advice!

viper Oct 7th 2002 4:32 am

Re: NZ- 25 pts now-what if passmark jumps?

If U have 25 points as it is U can apply for the work visa. work visa is given if U fall short of just 5 points

Don Oct 7th 2002 6:18 am

Originally posted by The American:
We're a family of 4, have 25 points, had all medicals/xrays done, just have to finish getting together all evidence/proof of work experience & settlement funds (not fun!)

Passmark will be 30 presumably atleast for a month (**oh my gawd, horrible thought -I've been wrong before, could I be wrong about this too? pls advise**), so we should be OK to get our PR application in while we're still w/in 5 pts..

BUT, our police certificates might not be in our hands for 4 or 5 weeks.

So, QUESTION: What do we do if warning comes of passmark jump, and police certificate hasn't arrived? Should we go ahead and send in application anyway and explain situation, then send on PC when it arrives?

We cannot wait for passmark to come down, it's now or not for a long time. So thanks for any advice!

First of all, don't worry! In the unlikely event that the passmark goes up next month (just about possible if NZIS want to stop virtually all immigration until next year), it will DEFINITELY come down to lower levels next year. Depending on your personal circumstances, I'd be tempted to avoid lodging your application until the passmark is at 27 (I guess probably mid 2003) because that would mean you could get any job in NZ (ie 2 points), not just a job relevant to your qualifications. But if you really want t get that 6 month work visa and GO TO NZ NOW! - then go for it.

Applications are normally treated 'kindly' by NZIS, ie they are unlikely to reject it if you lodge it without police checks provided you state why in a covering letter and have paid the fee - and the police checks arrive within a few days. (It is certainly possible to lodge applications without the NZQA result, provided it follows later.) So your best strategy might be to wait until the passmark for November is announced, then if it is going to be hiked by a point, lodge your application if necessary without PC - you'll get 5 days' notice of any change.

Cheers - Don

lizzie Oct 7th 2002 10:17 am

Originally posted by pleasancefamily:

First of all, don't worry! In the unlikely event that the passmark goes up next month (just about possible if NZIS want to stop virtually all immigration until next year), it will DEFINITELY come down to lower levels next year. Depending on your personal circumstances, I'd be tempted to avoid lodging your application until the passmark is at 27 (I guess probably mid 2003) because that would mean you could get any job in NZ (ie 2 points), not just a job relevant to your qualifications. But if you really want t get that 6 month work visa and GO TO NZ NOW! - then go for it.

Applications are normally treated 'kindly' by NZIS, ie they are unlikely to reject it if you lodge it without police checks provided you state why in a covering letter and have paid the fee - and the police checks arrive within a few days. (It is certainly possible to lodge applications without the NZQA result, provided it follows later.) So your best strategy might be to wait until the passmark for November is announced, then if it is going to be hiked by a point, lodge your application if necessary without PC - you'll get 5 days' notice of any change.

Cheers - Don

If you've already done your medicals, it's unlikely that you would be able to wait until mid-2003 to apply, unless you want to go through them again (unlikely!).

I'm not sure about lodging your application without your police checks, as the app. form does specifically ask if they are enclosed. However, I agree with Don, NZIS are quite kind, I have had to contact them by phone several times and have found them extremely helpful, even to the point of slightly bending the rules. I would suggest that if the police checks haven't arrived before end of October, give NZIS a ring and see what they suggest.

LIzzie

accessme Oct 9th 2002 12:45 am

Originally posted by lizzie:

If you've already done your medicals, it's unlikely that you would be able to wait until mid-2003 to apply, unless you want to go through them again (unlikely!).

I'm not sure about lodging your application without your police checks, as the app. form does specifically ask if they are enclosed. However, I agree with Don, NZIS are quite kind, I have had to contact them by phone several times and have found them extremely helpful, even to the point of slightly bending the rules. I would suggest that if the police checks haven't arrived before end of October, give NZIS a ring and see what they suggest.

LIzzie

Hi,

It is always possible to lodge the apps without the police certificates, as i lodged it with a proof stating that i applied for a police certificate. I received the certificates two days after i lodged it and i send it them. but i did call the NZIS and got a written communication from them accepting the application without the police clearances
best of luck

Black Sheep Oct 9th 2002 12:59 am

Originally posted by accessme:

Hi,

It is always possible to lodge the apps without the police certificates, as i lodged it with a proof stating that i applied for a police certificate. I received the certificates two days after i lodged it and i send it them. but i did call the NZIS and got a written communication from them accepting the application without the police clearances
best of luck

Thanks, I really appreciate all the help! And oh d**n, I am just reminded now that I made a huge mistake when I posted the fingerprints to the FBI - the postal worker was being so unpleasant that I completely forgot to send them registered mail, so I have no dated proof to show the NZIS. Learn ye all from my mistakes!

TA