British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   NVQ, VTCT, ITEC Beauty and Holistic Qualifications? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/nvq-vtct-itec-beauty-holistic-qualifications-583674/)

ruru3141 Jan 12th 2009 4:03 pm

NVQ, VTCT, ITEC Beauty and Holistic Qualifications?

Hiya All

Just wanted to hear from fellow Beauty and Holistic Therapist who have immigrated to Australia, Did you change your qualification to suit Australian standards?. I have a NVQ and ITEC qualifications in Beauty and Holistic, swedish, body massage, VTCT Diploma level 3. Will I be able to get a job with these qualifications.

Thanks for your time.

Well am new, new is not my name, but am new to the forum.:blink:

aussiedreamer Jan 12th 2009 9:35 pm

Re: NVQ, VTCT, ITEC Beauty and Holistic Qualifications?

Hi

I am Itec qualified Beauty and Holistic therapist and have had no probs with my quals being recognised although not sure on VTCT, the main probs i've had is i worked in a spa whilst in the UK so no waxing. WAXing is massive here so make sure your up to speed with this, they are very much into all off and most salons are busier with this than anything else.

Jane

ruru3141 Jan 12th 2009 10:13 pm

Thanks Aussie dreamer you are a star:thumbsup:

This has calmed me down a bit, I absolutely love waxing. How long ago did you move to Aussie and how easy was it to get a job? I want to be prepared in anyway.

Weird Fish Jan 12th 2009 10:28 pm

I've got ITEC Complementary Therapy quals coming out my backside (nothing on the beauty side), but decided not to go into Comp Therapies here due to a flooded market. However, I did look at the legality of setting up my own business and would my quals be ok. In essense they are as you take professional responsibility, in fact it is more about insurance. You can join one of the Professional bodies here that may also help you get your foot in the door.

Alternatively talk to ITEC about their representation here in Aus, they use to have someone who could insure you and they were, several years ago now, in discussions with the QCA equivalent to get ITEC Comp Therapy quals recognised, as far as I was aware beauty quals are already. If you are a member of ITEC they will be very supportive of you and help you with letters and documentation if it is required.

ruru3141 Jan 12th 2009 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Weird Fish (Post 7159136)
I've got ITEC Complementary Therapy quals coming out my backside (nothing on the beauty side), but decided not to go into Comp Therapies here due to a flooded market. However, I did look at the legality of setting up my own business and would my quals be ok. In essense they are as you take professional responsibility, in fact it is more about insurance. You can join one of the Professional bodies here that may also help you get your foot in the door.

Alternatively talk to ITEC about their representation here in Aus, they use to have someone who could insure you and they were, several years ago now, in discussions with the QCA equivalent to get ITEC Comp Therapy quals recognised, as far as I was aware beauty quals are already. If you are a member of ITEC they will be very supportive of you and help you with letters and documentation if it is required.

Thanks so much for the info, I do appreaciate your help. How are you getting on, are you mobile or do you own, rent a place?. According to the experience you have living and working in Aussie which works better?

mizzy09 Jul 30th 2009 2:17 pm

Hiya,

I'm nearing the end of my studies to become a beauty therapist, and hoping to go to Australia with my boyfriend towards the end of 2010. I am just a bit worried that the qualification I'm working towards will not be recognised in Oz - it's the VTCT or IHBC. I was told that it is recognised in Australia by the director when I went to the school for my initial interview.

Also, does anyone who already lives out in Oz have any interesting info about where the best places to live and what sort of work there is out there??

Any info would be great.

Thanks