NVQ recognition

Old Dec 16th 2010, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

luuvly21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NVQ recognition

Hi guys,

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this thread, but I hope you can help me anyway.
My partner, baby son and I are planning to move to Oz next year.
DP is currently doing an apprenticeship as a plumber (he has finished College, just doing his practical assesments to complete NVQ Level 2) and I'm a qualified Beauty Therapist, also NVQ Level 2.

Now we were wondering if our qualifications are recognised in Australia or would we have to do some courses etc?

TIA
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Re: NVQ recognition

I would not mind knowing the same thing my girlfriend is doing this course and i am saying you might be wasting your time cause it might not be any good over there,would i be right.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NVQ recognition

Originally Posted by brian.w
I would not mind knowing the same thing my girlfriend is doing this course and i am saying you might be wasting your time cause it might not be any good over there,would i be right.
The Australian equal to an NVQ level 2 will be a AQF Certificate 2, and an NVQ 3 will be equal to an AQF Certificate 3.

These are general courses offered by any school and many people who do these are usually working towards an AQF Diploma which is a BTEC National Diploma standard and is usually the minimum standard many employers look for if you don't have any work experience.

AQF means Australian Qualification Framework - further information here - http://www.aqf.edu.au/

I went through the NVQ system myself and went all the way to degree level study. I discussed NVQ qualifications when I was over there with employers and when I told them the comparison I have to say that they weren't really interested and brushed them aside. However if you have a few NVQ's AND good work experience then it should be ok, just don't expect them to be all that impressed at interview when you tell them about NVQ's.

Last edited by Jon77; Feb 2nd 2011 at 3:20 pm.