NVQ/City & Guilds standing with TRA

Wikiposts

NVQ/City & Guilds standing with TRA

Old Mar 26th 2005, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

happylad will become famous soon enoughhappylad will become famous soon enough
Question NVQ/City & Guilds standing with TRA

Hi,

I passed an NVQ level 2 in Carpentry and Joinery (Sitework) last October after part-time study at college. How does this fit into the TRA assessment criteria? My NVQ covered the same subject areas, but just not in a formal apprenticeship so I am greatly lacking in the hours that the AQF sets out for trades in Australia. I'm a working chippie but on the face of it, it seems like I wont be able to apply for another 4 or 5 years!!

Thanks heaps

Last edited by happylad; Mar 26th 2005 at 9:19 am.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

crozz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NVQ/City & Guilds standing with TRA

Originally Posted by happylad
Hi,

I passed an NVQ level 2 in Carpentry and Joinery (Sitework) last October after part-time study at college. How does this fit into the TRA assessment criteria? My NVQ covered the same subject areas, but just not in a formal apprenticeship so I am greatly lacking in the hours that the AQF sets out for trades in Australia. I'm a working chippie but on the face of it, it seems like I wont be able to apply for another 4 or 5 years!!

Thanks heaps
hello happy lad i hope i can answer your question i believe that if you have done a proper apprenticeship you need to have at least 6 years experience or on the other hand if you hhave done a course at college you need at least 9 years experience check out the tra site.crozz
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crozz
hello happy lad i hope i can answer your question i believe that if you have done a proper apprenticeship you need to have at least 6 years experience or on the other hand if you hhave done a course at college you need at least 9 years experience check out the tra site.crozz

i have checked out TRA site - ona daily basis!!! where does it say the 9 years experience bit though???
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

crozz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rooksie
i have checked out TRA site - ona daily basis!!! where does it say the 9 years experience bit though???
on the old tra system you use to get a deeming date this is when the tra thought you had enough experience t get a successful pass mine was 9 years as i didnt do a formal apprenticeship.this was discussed on an earlier thread but i think the tra has changed this deeming date i dont think they have one now do they.crozz
Old Mar 27th 2005, 12:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by crozz
on the old tra system you use to get a deeming date this is when the tra thought you had enough experience t get a successful pass mine was 9 years as i didnt do a formal apprenticeship.this was discussed on an earlier thread but i think the tra has changed this deeming date i dont think they have one now do they.crozz

ahhh now i get it. no, think theyve done away with deeming dates - not that that did us any favours!!! hey ho
Old Mar 27th 2005, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

9 years!! I could do a complete apprenticeship twice in that period in the trade I do for a living! Seems a little excessive. What are the deeming dates all about? Could you post a link to the thread you mentioned please Crozz? Thanks
Old Mar 27th 2005, 4:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by happylad
9 years!! I could do a complete apprenticeship twice in that period in the trade I do for a living! Seems a little excessive. What are the deeming dates all about? Could you post a link to the thread you mentioned please Crozz? Thanks

i saw that on the DIMIA site - they have done away with deeming dates mate - dont worry about it!!
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:16 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I belive that most trades are a minimum of 5 years checkable experience. Though for myself(electricians) Its 7. So i would look into it again mate. I dont think you meet the criteria.As for the 9 years thing. I dont think this is right.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jockstar
I belive that most trades are a minimum of 5 years checkable experience. Though for myself(electricians) Its 7. So i would look into it again mate. I dont think you meet the criteria.As for the 9 years thing. I dont think this is right.

Thanks mate, I've contacted a migration consultant and we'll have to see what the alternatives are. On that note, would anyone be able to tell me if TRA get involved with a 457 sposored visa? Certainly not my first choice to go down this route, but it would seem plan A is out for a good few years!

Cheers
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Ok, just for those who want to know.... TRA DO recognise NVQ. Bit of a grey area whether it is level 2 or 3 but will find out soon. I am currently waiting to find out the finer details, and will post them when I get them.

Dan