Nursing - RSMS

Old Jul 24th 2005, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

Scary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nursing - RSMS

Hi!

Wondering if anyone can answer some of the millions of questions buzzing round in my head?!

We (me and hubby) want to move to Australia, I am a qualified nurse. Ideally we would have applied for a 136 (?) visa I think thats the one skilled independent?....But, I went back to work at the beginning of May after 22 months off following an accident. I am fully recovered now but obviously I do not now have the 12 of the last 18 months work experience needed. We could sit it out until i do, but it would mean changing jobs or taking on a second job as my contract at the moment is only 19.5 hrs a week.

So we have been looking at the 457 (?) visa, sorry if these numbers are all wrong! the temp sponsored employee one. I have been in touch with the health authority in the area we would like to go to and it sounds like I would be able to go down this route with them. After reading lots on here, and a "not sure" feeling of my own, I'm not sure if it is such a good idea, We would hate to have to come home if we couldn't convert to PR.

I have seen a few mentions of the RSMS visa, from what i can work out it is a PR one, I would have to work for the people that sponsor me for a min of 2 years, I can't see if I need to have the 12 of 18 months work experience also the areas it doesn't cover include Melbourne, does that mean in the city? we want to go to Frankston, the address does not say Melbourne, just Victoria, but i guess it would come under the suburbs of Melbourne so would it not be possible?

Also does anyone know how long it would take if we went down this route? Anyone out there done it and willing to share their experience?

Some one unscramble my brain please!

Cheers Claire + Tel
Old Jul 25th 2005, 1:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing - RSMS

Originally Posted by Scary
Hi!

Wondering if anyone can answer some of the millions of questions buzzing round in my head?!

We (me and hubby) want to move to Australia, I am a qualified nurse. Ideally we would have applied for a 136 (?) visa I think thats the one skilled independent?....But, I went back to work at the beginning of May after 22 months off following an accident. I am fully recovered now but obviously I do not now have the 12 of the last 18 months work experience needed. We could sit it out until i do, but it would mean changing jobs or taking on a second job as my contract at the moment is only 19.5 hrs a week.
You need to increase your hours to 20 per week - for general skilled migration DIMIA will not recognise *anything* less.

So we have been looking at the 457 (?) visa, sorry if these numbers are all wrong! the temp sponsored employee one. I have been in touch with the health authority in the area we would like to go to and it sounds like I would be able to go down this route with them. After reading lots on here, and a "not sure" feeling of my own, I'm not sure if it is such a good idea, We would hate to have to come home if we couldn't convert to PR.
Lots of people have hassle on the 457 visa:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447

I have seen a few mentions of the RSMS visa, from what i can work out it is a PR one, I would have to work for the people that sponsor me for a min of 2 years, I can't see if I need to have the 12 of 18 months work experience also the areas it doesn't cover include Melbourne, does that mean in the city? we want to go to Frankston, the address does not say Melbourne, just Victoria, but i guess it would come under the suburbs of Melbourne so would it not be possible?
1. There's (normally) no work experience requirement for RSMS. However it does not apply to Melbourne - however you could try somewhere like Geelong where RSMS does apply. I don't know about Frankston.

OR

2. Look at the regular ENS visa. This applies anywhere in Australia. You do need 3 years experience for that, but it doesn't have to be recent. Both ENS and RSMS are explained in migration booklet 5 - download and read.

OR

3. Look at the Skill Matching visa (this is a permanent visa). With a state nomination from Victoria, you can then apply to DIMIA with *6 months* recent skilled work experience (not 12). However your existing hours are insufficient to start the clock.

Take a look at the Victoria website if you've not already done so:
http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au

Jeremy