British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   nursing in perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/nursing-perth-113562/)

teresa.c Oct 23rd 2002 9:02 am

nursing in perth

Im a nurse hoping to be in perth next summer. I know nurses
are needed everywhere, but what is the REAL job situation? Is it as short staffed and underpaid as it is here in England? What are the agencies like to work for?

Grub Oct 23rd 2002 2:19 pm

Re: nursing in perth

Hi Teresa, not sure about wages and stuff (I am sure PB will slag the whole industry off as his wife is a nurse) but this is an article i saw on ABC yesterday.

Qld, WA, NT governments go after UK nurses to bolster numbers
The Australian Nursing Federation says a plan to recruit British and Irish nurses to work in hospitals should be acted on quickly.

The Northern Territory Government announced three weeks ago it is working with Queensland and Western Australia on the plan that would see the nurses working across the three jurisdictions.

But Paul Nieuwenhoven from the Nursing Federation's Territory branch says he was not aware of the plan before it was announced, and he is yet to be involved in discussions three weeks on.

"The only contact we've had with the Health Minister is through one of her advisors to say that in fact it was just a discussion at a meeting of the three Health Ministers a few days prior to there being some sort of announcement in the media," Mr Nieuwenhoven said.

"They also indicated they would be consulting with us shortly on the proposal but we haven't heard anything since."

pommie bastard Oct 24th 2002 6:30 am

Originally posted by teresa.c
are needed everywhere, but what is the REAL job situation? Is it as short staffed and underpaid as it is here in England? What are the agencies like to work for?

Nursing is the same in Perth as UK systems are a bit behind on somethings still have ENs , understaffing same as UK too many managing not enough working on wards public Hospitals always under funded, try to get job in Private Hospitals if you can they are on a par with those in UK.
Loads of jobs my wife has had quite a few but got fed up with shifts and work load also lack of lifting equipement which mean she got a bad back like a lot of nurses here.
She works on Health line which pays better than wards and far less stress, still some shifts but she is not as worn out.Good Luck

:D :beer:

Grub Oct 25th 2002 11:55 am

You are nothing if not predictable! PB- change the record.

pommie bastard Oct 25th 2002 10:44 pm

Originally posted by Grub
You are nothing if not predictable! PB- change the record.

Sorry forgot you hate the truth , Nursing is a hard where ever you go the demands are the same in any hospital where ever.
There is a shortage of Nurses in most countrys because anyone who has the smarts to do it could get a far easier and far better paid with less stress in other industries , those that choose to do it have my respect , unlike you Nicky, way off the planet.
My wife only gets 4 weeks paid holiday a year now plus max 2 weeks sick pay ,this does not go down well she ends up using up holiday for sick days does pee her off she got used to 6 months sick time paid in UK.
I wonder what job you will get if any , what ever it is it will stop you dreaming employers here are a lot harder to work for and expect to grovel for your pay.:D :cool: :rolleyes:

pommie bastard Oct 26th 2002 12:38 am

5.17 Registered Nurse - Agency
Suzanne is a registered agency nurse who works in metropolitan Perth. She works predominantly in one acute hospital, but on occasions will complete shifts at two other acute hospitals in the area.

Given little time to familiarise herself with the ward, fellow staff and patients, Suzanne has to 'hit the ground running'. She is often given a heavier load of patients than the other nurses who work regularly on the ward because they either want a break, or she is partnered with the team leader who will be busy with other nursing activities. Consequently, Suzanne is left with the heavy showers and sponges for their allocated patients. Fellow staff have a high expectation of assumed knowledge regarding patients and procedures particular to the ward that she is working on. Suzanne is often rushing in her work because as an agency nurse, she has one hour less at the beginning and the end of her shift to get everything done.

Suzanne feels that it is imperative that she is aware of what is happening around her, that she knows who she is and where she fits within the hospital/nursing system. Changing workplace on a shift-to-shift basis requires her to keep in mind how much she can do for her patients in a single shift that might make a difference for them.

pommie bastard Oct 26th 2002 3:24 am

ATTENTION: Health/medical/political reporters
26 June 2002

Senate Inquiry into Nursing report released
Time for action!

The Senate Inquiry into Nursing report 'The Patient Profession: Time for Action' was finally tabled in Parliament today. Over 1,000 submissions were received to the Inquiry.

'The overall response from the Australian Nursing Federation to the recommendations is positive,' ANF Federal Secretary Jill Iliffe said. 'The Senate Inquiry has picked up on most of the issues the nursing profession has been concerned about for some time.'

The Inquiry Committee has recommended a number of key initiatives to address the current nursing workforce shortage: such as increasing the number of undergraduate places in nursing courses; the development of a national nursing workforce planning strategy - which the Committee say is 'fundamental and urgent'; and the establishment of a Commonwealth Chief Nurse position to assist with national nursing policy, workforce planning and coordination, and to advise the Commonwealth Government on Nursing issues.

The Committee notes that 'nurses' frustration at perceived inaction has led to a growing militancy among their ranks'. The report says there have been enough reviews and it was now time for leadership and action.

'I couldn't agree more,' Ms Iliffe said. 'Nurses do not want to be militant, but have been forced into this situation to ensure patients receive professional and safe care. As recent industrial action in a number of States demonstrates, the 'patient profession' is almost out of patience.'

Inadequate pay and unsympathetic and inflexible working conditions are also noted by the Committee as major contributing factors to nurses leaving the profession. The report states that improving the recruitment and retention of nurses is largely about addressing their pay and working conditions.

'Poor pay and working conditions have contributed to the critical shortage of nurses - they do need to be improved for the nursing shortage to be reversed.

'The report provides a blueprint for action by all levels of government, other employers, and key nursing organisations. It is indeed time for action,' Ms Iliffe said.

MEDIA INQUIRIES:

Jill Iliffe, ANF Federal Secretary 0419 576 590
Denis Jones, ANF Assistant Federal Secretary 0419 502 442
Heather Witham, Media Officer 0417 359 907

teresa.c Oct 26th 2002 7:56 am

Originally posted by pommie bastard
ATTENTION: Health/medical/political reporters
26 June 2002

Senate Inquiry into Nursing report released
Time for action!

The Senate Inquiry into Nursing report 'The Patient Profession: Time for Action' was finally tabled in Parliament today. Over 1,000 submissions were received to the Inquiry.

'The overall response from the Australian Nursing Federation to the recommendations is positive,' ANF Federal Secretary Jill Iliffe said. 'The Senate Inquiry has picked up on most of the issues the nursing profession has been concerned about for some time.'

The Inquiry Committee has recommended a number of key initiatives to address the current nursing workforce shortage: such as increasing the number of undergraduate places in nursing courses; the development of a national nursing workforce planning strategy - which the Committee say is 'fundamental and urgent'; and the establishment of a Commonwealth Chief Nurse position to assist with national nursing policy, workforce planning and coordination, and to advise the Commonwealth Government on Nursing issues.

The Committee notes that 'nurses' frustration at perceived inaction has led to a growing militancy among their ranks'. The report says there have been enough reviews and it was now time for leadership and action.

'I couldn't agree more,' Ms Iliffe said. 'Nurses do not want to be militant, but have been forced into this situation to ensure patients receive professional and safe care. As recent industrial action in a number of States demonstrates, the 'patient profession' is almost out of patience.'

Inadequate pay and unsympathetic and inflexible working conditions are also noted by the Committee as major contributing factors to nurses leaving the profession. The report states that improving the recruitment and retention of nurses is largely about addressing their pay and working conditions.

'Poor pay and working conditions have contributed to the critical shortage of nurses - they do need to be improved for the nursing shortage to be reversed.

'The report provides a blueprint for action by all levels of government, other employers, and key nursing organisations. It is indeed time for action,' Ms Iliffe said.

MEDIA INQUIRIES:

Jill Iliffe, ANF Federal Secretary 0419 576 590
Denis Jones, ANF Assistant Federal Secretary 0419 502 442
Heather Witham, Media Officer 0417 359 907

Thanks for all your input. So nursings not much different from here in the UK, plus you get less hols!
Might have guessed really, nursing is a crap profession which is taken the piss out of worldwide. I think its time for a career rethink!!!

Teresa

pommie bastard Oct 28th 2002 12:38 am

Thanks for all your input. So nursings not much different from here in the UK, plus you get less hols!
Might have guessed really, nursing is a crap profession which is taken the piss out of worldwide. I think its time for a career rethink!!!

Teresa

Nursing may be not that good but like I said I respect those who do it , plus I do think that you have smarts to get a better job, my wife is happier now than on ward and is looking to work for NHS Direct in UK. Best Wishes PB:cool: :D :beer:

dotty Oct 28th 2002 1:17 am

Pommie, why dont you just tell the truth now, we all know that as with everyting in sunny oz, nursing is just perfect. It is a well known fact that Aussie patients dont even need bedpans.

Same with Teaching, it has been scientifically proven that all Aussie children are totally perfect due to the sunshine and that skipping happily in the safe safe countryside.

I hope nobodys looking for a Jail wardens job as pommie will tell you Australia has no need for jails, its simply too perfect.

pommie bastard Oct 28th 2002 2:09 am

Originally posted by dotty
Pommie, why dont you just tell the truth now, we all know that as with everyting in sunny oz, nursing is just perfect. It is a well known fact that Aussie patients dont even need bedpans.

Same with Teaching, it has been scientifically proven that all Aussie children are totally perfect due to the sunshine and that skipping happily in the safe safe countryside.

I hope nobodys looking for a Jail wardens job as pommie will tell you Australia has no need for jails, its simply too perfect.

Come on Dotty I did over the jails , it seems they are very good if I do not leave soon I think with my tract record I could end up in one.:D