Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nursing Oversupply

Nursing Oversupply

Old Mar 24th 2019, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nursing Oversupply

From this morning's West Australian:

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/wa-nu...ng-b881140044z

70% of nursing graduates couldn't find jobs, wow. Yet unis keep pumping them out . . .

The same thing happened with teachers a few years ago.

Intending migrants reading this should verify the job market in their field with employers on the ground before making concrete plans, and not assume that because their profession is on the shortage list that means hiring conditions are good.
Old Mar 24th 2019, 11:42 pm
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing Oversupply

Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
From this morning's West Australian:

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/wa-nu...ng-b881140044z

70% of nursing graduates couldn't find jobs, wow. Yet unis keep pumping them out . . .

The same thing happened with teachers a few years ago.

Intending migrants reading this should verify the job market in their field with employers on the ground before making concrete plans, and not assume that because their profession is on the shortage list that means hiring conditions are good.
Its been getting steadily harder to find nursing jobs for several years now, not just in WA. State government cutbacks have left far fewer jobs than even 6-7 years ago, and new graduates in Aus are often having to take jobs miles from where they actually live. I know two who have had to move State in order t get that first graduate position, Older migrants have a real tough time now finding work.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 7:38 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing Oversupply

I have just qualified as a nurse and can confirm the unis are pumping out way too many of us and the competition for new grad spots is fierce: I heard that 50% of new grad program applicants were unsuccessful here in NSW. I was fortunate to secure one but then also secured a permanent full time position so am not taking the new grad position up as it's temporary and the pressure to find another job towards the end of the program is something I can do without. I thought my nursing training was crap and is woeful preparation for the job but that's another issue. I think there are still shortages for senior nurses in certain areas and locations.