Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nursing in Melbourne

Nursing in Melbourne

Old Apr 1st 2006, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Nursing in Melbourne

Ok im a Uk nurse who made the move to wellington New Zealand and am in a rut after 6 months, basically im bored life here is too slow, work is getting boring, and have had enough of the crappy rota currently work 6-7 8 hour shifts in a row then 2 days off then 5 on then 2 days off, the same pattern, which means last 3 months have worked every weekend with out fail.

Anyhoo

beacuse they dont like you amounting more than 2 weeks leave they told me i needed to go on leave, they gave me the dates, and then changed them a month before, hey ho again, so i took a late holiday in melbourne and loved it

Melbourne is such a nice place, near the beach and the city has a real buzz to it, so got me thinking should i move to melbourne

so will there be more oportunities for me, im a 4 yr post qualification ED nurse, have done my ALS and ATLS and would like to work in ED or a minor injuries unit in Melbourne,

is nursing different there, is it better or worse than NZ, can you work long 12 hour shifts,

ive made some good friends in new zealand but i find most places switch off once its dark, its freezing cold, and the attitudes of some of the nurses at work is scary, have heard and seen things that i thought had died out in the dark ages, and thats not just the kiwi nurses but other expats too, i miss my old dept at home, which due to change of management no longer exists, but i just hope OZ can be more fun place to work than my current position.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing in Melbourne

Originally Posted by Sugo
Ok im a Uk nurse who made the move to wellington New Zealand and am in a rut after 6 months, basically im bored life here is too slow, work is getting boring, and have had enough of the crappy rota currently work 6-7 8 hour shifts in a row then 2 days off then 5 on then 2 days off, the same pattern, which means last 3 months have worked every weekend with out fail.

Anyhoo

beacuse they dont like you amounting more than 2 weeks leave they told me i needed to go on leave, they gave me the dates, and then changed them a month before, hey ho again, so i took a late holiday in melbourne and loved it

Melbourne is such a nice place, near the beach and the city has a real buzz to it, so got me thinking should i move to melbourne

so will there be more oportunities for me, im a 4 yr post qualification ED nurse, have done my ALS and ATLS and would like to work in ED or a minor injuries unit in Melbourne,

is nursing different there, is it better or worse than NZ, can you work long 12 hour shifts,

ive made some good friends in new zealand but i find most places switch off once its dark, its freezing cold, and the attitudes of some of the nurses at work is scary, have heard and seen things that i thought had died out in the dark ages, and thats not just the kiwi nurses but other expats too, i miss my old dept at home, which due to change of management no longer exists, but i just hope OZ can be more fun place to work than my current position.
Out of interest, why did you choose New Zealand over Australia in the first place?

Maybe a change of job or location would suit (are you a New Zealand permanent resident?) but if you do want to try out Melbourne then check out http://www.immi.gov.au and http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au

It's recommended to get a permanent visa and avoid "temporary sponsored" visas as lots of people encounter hassles with these.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Nursing in Melbourne

Originally Posted by JAJ
Out of interest, why did you choose New Zealand over Australia in the first place?

Maybe a change of job or location would suit (are you a New Zealand permanent resident?) but if you do want to try out Melbourne then check out http://www.immi.gov.au and http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au

It's recommended to get a permanent visa and avoid "temporary sponsored" visas as lots of people encounter hassles with these.

i never really considered OZ, always thought it was too hot, too brash and most flora and fauna can kill you, New Zealand on the other hand thought was a lovely country and that the kiwis are friendlier,

Well new zealand is lovely but very slow, i didnt realise how slow, wellington is too small, im a gay guy and find that difficult in that everyone knows everyone else, and kiwis at work become very odd, theyre personas change and take themselves far too seriously.

My short time in melbourne was fantastic, love the buzz of the city and found it really friendly and love the immigrant communities like the italian, chinese and greek areas, i like the heat which i thought i never would and didnt see anything that could kill me lol.
Also there is infrastructure in melbourne they have a public transport system that works, people seem happier, doesnt feel as damp as where i am in new zealand, people look healthier.

it sounds silly but i even got excited going to HMV, in welly there is only one CD shop and its a chain all over the place with the same stock, there is no variation no choice,

but the main reason is the pants situation with work, there really is only two depts i can work in both have poor reputations, and both have serious problems, i work in a small department and am amazed at the egos i have encountered there, an before you think it it not me, have been told alot of the nurses like working with me, and for the most of my time i have kept my head down, but the bullying of other staff has been mental, they tried it on me but i tend to give as much as i get, so they soon stopped, but still get dragged into the office if im 1 min late, even though i stayed on 45 mins the night before with out pay cos there are on 3 nurses on the floor on nights.
Or im told i cant request the weekend off for some event like the rugby as i havnt been there long enough and should expect to work over every big event for the first year because im new WTF

Anyway im sounding bitter, not what i want, i really just wanna get out, so options are OZ or Auckland,