British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   nursing in mandurah and what is the place like (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/nursing-mandurah-what-place-like-847115/)

amy1985 Nov 15th 2014 2:18 pm

nursing in mandurah and what is the place like

hi my cousin lives in mandurah if im spelling it correctly. im thinking when we make the move to luve near her but im conscious about working as a nurse. my cousin said theres three hospitals within an hours drive some closer than others would I have to apply to the hospiraks direct or through an agency? what is mandurah like?

Dorothy Nov 15th 2014 2:20 pm

Re: nursing in mandurah and what is the place like

Originally Posted by amy1985 (Post 11473138)
hi my cousin lives in mandurah if im spelling it correctly. im thinking when we make the move to luve near her but im conscious about working as a nurse. my cousin said theres three hospitals within an hours drive some closer than others would I have to apply to the hospiraks direct or through an agency? what is mandurah like?

do you have a visa to allow you to work in Australia?

amy1985 Nov 15th 2014 2:22 pm

not yet but I have enough points to get one once I apply

amy1985 Nov 15th 2014 2:24 pm

im not planning on moving immediately. in about a year as I need to do alot more research and I plan on visiting first. I trust what my cousin says but we may see things and experience things different

Pollyana Nov 15th 2014 6:35 pm

Most hospitals will use some agency nurses, and will also employ staff directly. I would look up the contact details for those three hospitals and then contact them, outlining your experience, and see what they can offer. Bear in mind that with more competition for nursing jobs now many people don't manage to get work until they arrive, although a fair percentage are still lucky enough to have a job waiting for them. You will stand a better chance of a job once you are AHPRA registered, and have your visa either applied for or (better still) in your hand - then the hospital knows you are able to arrive and start work in a timely manner. They are unlikely to offer you a post if they have to wait for the whole AHPRA process to happen.

Bermudashorts Nov 15th 2014 9:41 pm

As discussed on your other threads, best to get qualified and get experience first.

Regarding Mandurah, it is a small town about an hour away from the most remote city in the world. I believe it is a pretty town with affordable housing.

We are on a driving holiday through this part of the country now. We have said that the towns are very pretty, people in shops very friendly and town centres look like they have all the day to day amenities you might need. But we have also said it is a long way to go if you want to do some serious shopping or go to the theatre or something. We concluded we could holiday here, but maybe not live.

Are you exceptionally close to your cousin? Only to me it seems really weird that out of the whole of Australia you hone in on Mandurah because of a cousin. But then I don't know my extended family very well, is maybe that is just me. But it is a big country and you have picked a small remote town ... When the time is right, I would just recommend you consider a few other factors as well.

Molly Coddle Nov 16th 2014 9:48 am

Are you coming on your own Amy?

Edit. Just seen 'we'. Sorry didn't read it correctly.

If you are not coming on your own, maybe try a different place?

EvannTel Nov 16th 2014 9:54 am

Mandurah is rapidly being swallowed by Perth. Some say good, some not. Things are changing here so fast id be asking next year.
Some love it, some hate it but thats true of pretty much everywhere.

spouse of scouse Nov 16th 2014 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 11473451)
As discussed on your other threads, best to get qualified and get experience first.

Regarding Mandurah, it is a small town about an hour away from the most remote city in the world. I believe it is a pretty town with affordable housing.

We are on a driving holiday through this part of the country now. We have said that the towns are very pretty, people in shops very friendly and town centres look like they have all the day to day amenities you might need. But we have also said it is a long way to go if you want to do some serious shopping or go to the theatre or something. We concluded we could holiday here, but maybe not live.

Are you exceptionally close to your cousin? Only to me it seems really weird that out of the whole of Australia you hone in on Mandurah because of a cousin. But then I don't know my extended family very well, is maybe that is just me. But it is a big country and you have picked a small remote town ... When the time is right, I would just recommend you consider a few other factors as well.

Have to disagree with some of that, BS.

The Mandurah of my childhood was indeed a small town, when we'd go on holidays there we'd feel like we were a million miles from civilization.

Mandurah is now a City, with a population of around 81,000 people. It's the unofficial gateway to the South West, and tourism and retail are some of it's major employers.

You can get buses to Perth, and there's also a rail line (built in around 2007, I think), that gets you into the Perth CBD in 50 minutes. Mandurah is around 70km or 45 miles from the Perth CBD.

The weather is obviously very similar to Perth's, with the difference that being adjacent to the ocean, it's usually about 4 - 5 degrees Celsius cooler during summer days (a huge plus I think), and also about that much colder during winter nights.

Mandurah is a hugely popular place for retirees, and although I don't know the stats I do know that it has a higher number of people over 60, compared with Perth. There's a lot of public art in the streets of the City centre, museums and art galleries, and a large performing arts centre. For concerts and productions from overseas, you'd usually have to travel into Perth.

I think it'd be a pretty nice place to live and raise kids, but I realize that it wouldn't be for everyone. For further info, you can look here Home

Best of luck with your visa application :starsmile:

Amazulu Nov 16th 2014 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 11473451)
the most remote city in the world

Honolulu

spouse of scouse Nov 16th 2014 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 11473917)
Honolulu

Correct, for a city with a population over 500,000 Honolulu is the most remote from a city of comparable population.

For a city with a population over 1,000,000, Auckland is the most remote from a city of comparable population (Sydney).

Perth is second, and oh my, we generally love the fact :)

Bermudashorts Nov 16th 2014 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11473884)
Have to disagree with some of that, BS.

The Mandurah of my childhood was indeed a small town, when we'd go on holidays there we'd feel like we were a million miles from civilization.

Mandurah is now a City, with a population of around 81,000 people. It's the unofficial gateway to the South West, and tourism and retail are some of it's major employers.

You can get buses to Perth, and there's also a rail line (built in around 2007, I think), that gets you into the Perth CBD in 50 minutes. Mandurah is around 70km or 45 miles from the Perth CBD.

The weather is obviously very similar to Perth's, with the difference that being adjacent to the ocean, it's usually about 4 - 5 degrees Celsius cooler during summer days (a huge plus I think), and also about that much colder during winter nights.

Mandurah is a hugely popular place for retirees, and although I don't know the stats I do know that it has a higher number of people over 60, compared with Perth. There's a lot of public art in the streets of the City centre, museums and art galleries, and a large performing arts centre. For concerts and productions from overseas, you'd usually have to travel into Perth.

I think it'd be a pretty nice place to live and raise kids, but I realize that it wouldn't be for everyone. For further info, you can look here Home

Best of luck with your visa application :starsmile:

To a Brit, a population of 81,000 is similar to a town, not a city. It is easy for a Brit to think a town in Australia is same as a town in UK, to think rural Australia is a bit like rural UK, to really not have any idea of distances and how far it might be to get from one place to the next. I am just trying to encourage OP to think wider than one small "city" of 81,000. Hope that is ok with you.

And as we are splitting hairs, it is the second most remote city in the world, after Honolulu. My bad. But the point really is, that this remoteness does not suit everyone.

Grayling Nov 16th 2014 9:42 pm

As ever, the key factor will be finding a job.

The days of nurses being able to get a job anywhere are long gone.

The smaller the place the less the opportunity.

Bermudashorts Nov 16th 2014 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11473930)
Correct, for a city with a population over 500,000 Honolulu is the most remote from a city of comparable population.

For a city with a population over 1,000,000, Auckland is the most remote from a city of comparable population (Sydney).

Perth is second, and oh my, we generally love the fact :)

"Most remote from a comparable population". What an utterly ridiculous statistic. WTF does it matter whether the population is comparable.

The point is simply about having places to visit, things to do. From Auckland, I can go on holiday to all the lovely Pacific Islands, I can visit other cities in NZ, enjoy winter sports in Queenstown, visit various places on the east coast of Australia. All within a few hours flight. You cannot say that about Perth. I don't know why people want to pretend otherwise.

Dorothy Nov 16th 2014 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 11474297)
As ever, the key factor will be finding a job.

The days of nurses being able to get a job anywhere are long gone.

The smaller the place the less the opportunity.

Yup. There are nurses here in WA who have 20+ years' experience who are losing their positions right now. I'm not sure why a new grad from overseas thinks they'll walk into something.