Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nursing Elective Placement

Nursing Elective Placement

Old Jan 17th 2013, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Becki_21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Nursing Elective Placement

Hello, I am currently a student nurse in England. As part of our course in the third year we are allowed to undertake an elective placement at a hospital of our choice. I would be undertaking my elective placement from September 2013 to October 2013 in Australia. Are there any hospitals that you are aware of throughout Australia that accept nursing elective students? I have emailed a few hospitals and have had no luck and my university is not being very helpful with where I should look etc.
Many Thanks
Becki
Old Jan 17th 2013, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing Elective Placement

Originally Posted by Becki_21
Hello, I am currently a student nurse in England. As part of our course in the third year we are allowed to undertake an elective placement at a hospital of our choice. I would be undertaking my elective placement from September 2013 to October 2013 in Australia. Are there any hospitals that you are aware of throughout Australia that accept nursing elective students? I have emailed a few hospitals and have had no luck and my university is not being very helpful with where I should look etc.
Many Thanks
Becki
I'm sure it's been done... But there are questions that will need answers.... Who will be responsible for you? Supervise you? Mentor you? What about who is liable if you have a "problem"... Do Australian hospitals understand a uk style third year elective, wherebyounare meant to walk the walk andntalk the talk.... Will you get the mostmout of this important placement if you spend half of it adapting to a different nursing culture rather than consolidating your UK nurse education in a familiar environment?

What are your objectives from undertaking the placement here?

Who will be responsible for you ifnit all goes wrongz. Will you get the support you need ? Whomfrom?

Where a bouts are you looking at? Do you have family to stay with here?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to post a couple more posts (is it 3 or 5??????) before you can get PMs... When you've done that I will PM you...
Old Jan 17th 2013, 6:45 pm
Longing for something new

AdamL is an unknown quantity at this point

My partner is looking to do the same as its a great opportunity for a reccie.

We've been doing some digging but were under the impression that it'd need to be through a university that is partnered with his to make sure that the things he'd be doing are in line with the uk qualification standards. I think it'd also be to do with to legalities behind it for liability etc... As a result of that, he was going to try and do it through his universities placement office...

If you have any luck, please let me know
Old Jan 17th 2013, 9:29 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say for sure, but I would doubt it. I am a student nurse here in Australian and it's difficult enough to get placements for Australian university students without hospitals offering placements to overseas non-Australian uni students.

Also, like Eddie asked, who is going to be responsible for you? I honestly cannot see the hospitals' elective placement coordinators doing it. Will you be AHPRA registered? I know I had to be before I could even apply for any placement.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I can't say for sure, but I would doubt it. I am a student nurse here in Australian and it's difficult enough to get placements for Australian university students without hospitals offering placements to overseas non-Australian uni students.

Also, like Eddie asked, who is going to be responsible for you? I honestly cannot see the hospitals' elective placement coordinators doing it. Will you be AHPRA registered? I know I had to be before I could even apply for any placement.
another issue maybe that there isnt a formal and universal preparation for mentors here in Australia, therefore questions relating to signing off at the end of placement may arise.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there were a few student nurses asking this not so long ago. One had managed it but everyone else was finding it really really hard. Search maybe helpful?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

I know when I was in Manchester it was very common for student nurses to do their electives in Aus so it's definitely possible. I personally mentored quite a few student nurses who had been to Aus and really enjoyed their placements. From memory though they were usually placements on the Eastern coast, don't remember any being WA.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by eddie007
I'm sure it's been done... But there are questions that will need answers.... Who will be responsible for you? Supervise you? Mentor you? What about who is liable if you have a "problem"... Do Australian hospitals understand a uk style third year elective, wherebyounare meant to walk the walk andntalk the talk.... Will you get the mostmout of this important placement if you spend half of it adapting to a different nursing culture rather than consolidating your UK nurse education in a familiar environment?

What are your objectives from undertaking the placement here?

Who will be responsible for you ifnit all goes wrongz. Will you get the support you need ? Whomfrom?

Where a bouts are you looking at? Do you have family to stay with here?
Hello Eddie007,
sorry i haven't replied, when i find the placement in Australia there will be a dedicated mentor in the hospital that i can/will work with whilst undertaking my placement. My university is providing insurance whilst i am over there, which means if anything goes wrong then i am covered. I will also have constant contact with university whilst i am over there, I am not the first student to undertake their placement here (but university feel they are not able to help me find a placement-hence looking for advice on here)
Part of the elective placement is to be able to experience a different country, culture and style of nursing. I do not complete any skills or have any learning objectives whilst i am on my elective placement as it is not compulsory, therefore does not count towards my final placements.

My objectives i wish to gain from my placement will be to gain an insight to the role of the Adult Nurse in Australia and the health care system that they have. I am interested in moving to Australia once i have qualified and feel that this is a good way to see if it is for me.

The placement areas that i am looking at are New South Wales and Queensland. I am planning on staying with a host family whilst i am in Australia.

I hope this answers your questions
Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
I know when I was in Manchester it was very common for student nurses to do their electives in Aus so it's definitely possible. I personally mentored quite a few student nurses who had been to Aus and really enjoyed their placements. From memory though they were usually placements on the Eastern coast, don't remember any being WA.
Do you have any more details on there placements? or where i could find any information about them?
I am finding it hard as university don't seem to be very clued up on where to direct me. It has been done with my university before, so i know it is possible its just arranging it all. I know it will all be worth it in the end though.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice and responses guys! I am going to keep looking for placements and trying to find out what i need to do. If i find out anything or have any luck i will post it on here