Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nursing in Adelaide

Nursing in Adelaide

Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

primrose will become famous soon enoughprimrose will become famous soon enough
Default Nursing in Adelaide

Are there any nurses out there in South Australia?

We are just starting out on the immigration process and any information would be appreciated.

My husband and 2 children will piggyback on my visa.

I am 40, currently a registered general nurse and qualified in the 80's. I have trawled through some old posts and found invaluable information, I assume many of the posters from early last year must have moved to Australia already.

Primrose and family
Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:21 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing in Adelaide

Originally posted by primrose
Are there any nurses out there in South Australia?

We are just starting out on the immigration process and any information would be appreciated.

My husband and 2 children will piggyback on my visa.

I am 40, currently a registered general nurse and qualified in the 80's. I have trawled through some old posts and found invaluable information, I assume many of the posters from early last year must have moved to Australia already.

Primrose and family
Hi Primrose
It will not take you long so get ready.
Try approaching Flinders or the Royal Adelaide Directly They both have websites.

A tip : If you register in SA directly you only have to do a short assessment for the ANC to get your points.

Good luck

G
Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Pop over to this site Primrose. Several of our memmbers are nurses working in Adelaide (my husband included)

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Grayling
Hi Primrose
It will not take you long so get ready.
Try approaching Flinders or the Royal Adelaide Directly They both have websites.

A tip : If you register in SA directly you only have to do a short assessment for the ANC to get your points.

Good luck

G
Thanks Grayling,

I will try the registration board in SA first and see how much it costs.

After that I will check out the above hospitals + the Queen Elizabeth, to see what jobs are available.

Are you over in Australia yet?

Primrose
Old Feb 16th 2004, 10:03 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Grayling,

I will try the registration board in SA first and see how much it costs.

After that I will check out the above hospitals + the Queen Elizabeth, to see what jobs are available.

Are you over in Australia yet?

Primrose
Hi primrose
I am still in the UK and not sure when we will go.I may not be looking for work but have had registration in NSW for a few years.If you have registration in one state it is easy to get it in another.I Registered in NSW by going to their office and did it on the spot.I then registered In Queensland by taking that registration to their office in Brisbane.
I never took up any job offers though.

I am going on a parent contributory visa so do not need the points.

I understand that if you register in any state then you only have to complete a shortened (and much cheaper) assessment for the ANC in order to get ppoints.
I have never had any dealings with the ANC.
I would check the ANC and state board websites before you do anything as I would not like to give you the wrong advice.

I did not bother with adverts but just sent my CV to the various Directors of Nursing and they have all expressed an interest in meeting me when I go over.
I have worked in senior NHS posts and am a Nurse Tutor/lecturer but am now taking early retirement.
I will go to Adelaide because my son lives there.

Good luck and Best wishes

G
Old Feb 16th 2004, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Getting confused now!

I've just checked out the SA nurses registration site which says you must 1st register with the ANC if you are planning on entering Aus on a skilled visa.

As anyone registered with the SA board 1st and then the ANC?

Primrose
Old Feb 16th 2004, 8:45 pm
Bitter and twisted

Getting confused now!

I've just checked out the SA nurses registration site which says you must 1st register with the ANC if you are planning on entering Aus on a skilled visa.

Primrose
Primrose
Sorry if I have confused you.
It is confusing.
If you already hold registration in any state then you only have to complete a modified assessment form for the ANC for skilled migration.This is taken from the ANC website:

"If a nurse has been registered and holds a current practicing certificate from an Australian nurse regulatory authority or the Nursing Council of New Zealand then a modified assessment form should be completed".

This means you can register in a state first and then apply to the ANC for a skills assessment for migration.
You do not register with the ANC.

A lot of nurses start work on a temporary visa and so will already be registered.
You do not need to go through the ANC to register.
You can apply to any state directly if you choose.It is cheaper this way.
Once you register in any state then you can simply register in another.
I am registered in NSW and Queensland and have never had contact with the ANC.
I can register in South Australia as registration is recognised across states.
It is up to you how you choose to do it.
I do not need the points for skilled migration therefore did not need to be assessed by the ANC.
You may find it easier to go through the ANC .Others have done it differently.
Hope this makes sense.

Good luck

G
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:30 pm
Bitter and twisted

Getting confused now!

Primrose
Primrose
If you type 'Nurse registration' in the search faclilty you will see that this has all been covered fairly recently.

G
Old Feb 16th 2004, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Getting confused now!

Primrose

Yes Primrose... my husband did.