Reload this Page >

Nurses what about...NMC registration

Nurses what about...NMC registration

Old Feb 12th 2004, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nurses what about...NMC registration

A quick couple of questions to all you nurses in or going to WA-

Are any of you continuing with your NMC registration, do they refund any money if you cancel it?

Have you/will you join the ANC or continue with RCN membership?? I spoke to RCN Direct today and they reckon if you join the ANC there is no point paying for RCN membership as well.

What are your thoughts???

Not long to wait now

Only 5 weeks and I'm mid-flight
Old Feb 12th 2004, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Shedu
Sorry i am probably being really thick, but aren't the ANC like the NMC? In which case wouldn't you need to sort out some union/insurance cover, to replace the cover provided by the RCN.
thanks for raising the question though. yet another thing i had failed to think about
Old Feb 12th 2004, 7:23 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi shedu!!
You dont need to maintain your registration with the nmc, as you will be registered with the anc. If for some reason you return to the uk you can re-register using your anc reg as proof of professional reg, plus a couple of refs from your employers during the time you were out of the uk.
lets face it, its going up to £144 soon, so get out before that little lot is due!! Doubt they would give you a refund.

hope this is helpful

sue
Old Feb 12th 2004, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

The RCN will not cover you if you are living over here. I'm still registered with the NMC but will not be renewing it when it expires. Am still trying to decide whether to go with the RCNA or ANF.

Claire
Old Feb 12th 2004, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bazfer
Hi Shedu
Sorry i am probably being really thick, but aren't the ANC like the NMC? In which case wouldn't you need to sort out some union/insurance cover, to replace the cover provided by the RCN.
thanks for raising the question though. yet another thing i had failed to think about
No its me being thick - I meant the Oz version of the RCN - basically a union, I think they offer the same sorts of cover but have yet to find out for definate. I spoke to RCN Direct today and they suggested there is no point in having RCN membership if you join a similar thing out there. However you can just stay with the RCN and should you need their indemnity insurance it will cover you working overseas.

My NMC runs out 2006 so I just thought I would leave it as it is just in case things do go horribly wrong and I have to return to the UK. If on the other hand I am still in WA and living my happy life as expected at that time I just won't bother to re-register with the NMC. As you say I don't suppose I will get a refund so will just leave it be.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

There was an article I read a while back about UK nurses working over here with RCN cover. For one reason or another they needed RCN help and guess what they couldn't get it! If you are a resident they will not cover you. Best to join a union over here.

Claire