Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nurses please advise

Nurses please advise

Old Mar 15th 2004, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

spondy atwood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nurses please advise

Can someone please clarify as to whether you can register as a nurse with the relevant state authority before a pr visa is granted.
Also I am considering nursing in Victoria what are job prospects like and can anyone please advise what to avoid and what areas are good.
Also any info on how to register would be appreciated.

Sorry one last thing would you suggest getting a job before entering Australia or wait until arrival.
Any websites for nursing jobs

Thanks very much
Old Mar 15th 2004, 3:28 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurses please advise

Originally posted by spondy atwood
Can someone please clarify as to whether you can register as a nurse with the relevant state authority before a pr visa is granted.
Also I am considering nursing in Victoria what are job prospects like and can anyone please advise what to avoid and what areas are good.

Sorry one last thing would you suggest getting a job before entering Australia or wait until arrival.

Thanks very much
Yes you can register with a state first.
If you do you only need to complete a modified (and cheaper) skills assessment with the ANC to get points for PR.
Instructions on how to register will be on the individual State registration authority website.Try a Search engine.
Personally I would look for a job first as you may not be able to get anything suitable near where you live.
Most jobs are advertised online.

Good luck

G
Old Mar 15th 2004, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Pheobe is an unknown quantity at this point

Saw your thread. My husband is a nurse - got a job lined up in Melbourne. He has gone through Eden Health (they came over last June to London, come over quite often I think) They have been really good with advice and set up interviews with prospective employers. You send them your CV and they chat to you to find out what sort of nursing you're interested in. They can then find jobs to suit and set up interviews over the phone. I'm not sure of their web address though.
Hope this helps a bit.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Pheobe is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought of another thing. My hubbie was told its easier to register with New South Wales, you can then transfer to the state you wish to be in much quicker. Not quite sure how it works yet but hopefully it won't be long before we get visas granted and he can get out to Oz to start his nursing job out there.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 5:44 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks very much

Have a look through this site, I guess it depends if you want to do agency work or look for a permanent position.

http://www.melbournenursing.com.au/
Old Mar 15th 2004, 6:01 pm
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

Thanks very much
Old Mar 15th 2004, 6:10 pm
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

Hi
To be honest it doesn't matter who you register with first and even before your PR visa is in you can do what you want with regards to registration licences. It used to be that NSW was really hard to get registered with but that is unfounded now. Also if you register before you apply for the PR visa when you apply for the check with the ANCI it's alot cheaper than if you don't already have a licence in australia. Once you decide who you want to register with you can then use mutual recognition if you decide to move to another state/territory. Go to the ANCI website and they have links to all the other nursing boards.
Me i'm going with an agency again so i can have a look around before i settle down again and i don't have a job linked up before i go in May but am not worried at all.
Use the seach engine above for 'nurse' and you will get loads of related sites.
If you type in nursing jobs in australia on google you will get loads of hits and get a chance to see what's about.
Lucy
Old Mar 15th 2004, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I applied for my nurse registration before I received my permanent residency. As far as applying for registration, if you go to the ANCi website they have links to each of the state and territory nurse registry boards and from their websites you could get more info.

As far as getting a job. I'd recommend to you to wait until you get to your destination, get a feel for it and then decide which hospital you want to work in. There is such a critical shortage of nurse that it will take you about a fortnight to score a job. Just have your referees organized and your licensure before you apply for jobs. Victoria has plenty of jobs for nurses.