British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Nurse wanting to move to oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/nurse-wanting-move-oz-873562/)

Sydney11 Mar 1st 2016 6:22 pm

Nurse wanting to move to oz

Hello
I'm interested in moving to oz for few months probably Sydney. I currently work as a nurse in London. I'm going alone. Has anyone done similar, how easy is it?

Bermudashorts Mar 1st 2016 6:36 pm

Re: Nurse wanting to move to oz

Originally Posted by Sydney11 (Post 11883702)
Hello
I'm interested in moving to oz for few months probably Sydney. I currently work as a nurse in London. I'm going alone. Has anyone done similar, how easy is it?

Are you under 30 and do you want to work whilst you are in Australia? If so it would be very easy to get a working holiday visa which. Would probably fit the bill.

Sydney11 Mar 2nd 2016 3:14 am

Hello
Yes I'm 25 and have already been granted a working holiday visa. I work as a nurse but didn't know if it's easier to start other work in oz to begin with. Just wanted to know how easy it is to find somewhere to live etc as I'd be going alone.

old.sparkles Mar 2nd 2016 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Sydney11 (Post 11884063)
Hello
Yes I'm 25 and have already been granted a working holiday visa. I work as a nurse but didn't know if it's easier to start other work in oz to begin with. Just wanted to know how easy it is to find somewhere to live etc as I'd be going alone.

To work as a nurse in Australia you would need to be registered with AHPRA - have you done this?

Sydney11 Mar 2nd 2016 3:21 am

No I haven't yet as thought might be easier when over there and was more worried about where live etc.

Grayling Mar 2nd 2016 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Sydney11 (Post 11884065)
No I haven't yet as thought might be easier when over there and was more worried about where live etc.

Registration can take months from UK.....and AHPRA will need training transcripts etc.

Is your qualification at degree level?

Bermudashorts Mar 2nd 2016 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Sydney11 (Post 11884063)
Hello

To be honest for a stay of few months, I wouldn't bother with the nursing registration and would just do some bar or shop work or something.

Loads of people arrive on WHVs and find somewhere to live, I am sure you will be no different. If you start out in a youth hostel, you will probably meet like minded people and some of you might get a house together or you will hear of house shares through them.

Pollyana Mar 2nd 2016 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Sydney11 (Post 11884065)

As Grayling says, AHPRA can take months to deal with an application, they are slow and finicky and it would almost certainly be easier to sort out before leaving the UK while you have easy access to all your paperwork etc, never mond the time factor.
Where to live, especially as a backpacker/WHV is a lot easier than dealing with AHPRA.......:eek:

mgreaves Mar 2nd 2016 1:19 pm

As others have suggested, you should probably consider none nursing work if you are only there for a couple of months.
Once you have all of the documents AHPRA takes a minimum of 8 weeks, but gathering all of the documents is the time consuming part. You need university to send things over to Australia, you need NMC to send things over to Australia, you need the usual proof of who you are as well as references from all your old work places. Sorting this out whilst being in Australia is adding a lot of stress to an already stressful application process.

E.s2 Jul 8th 2016 7:21 pm

Hi! I can see you posted this a few months ago, but I am a very similar story. A 25 year old nurse wanting to go to Australia, either to nurse or just have a break. I was wondering have you gone/been/about to go? Any tips?
Ellie