Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nurse Training in Oz

Nurse Training in Oz

Old Aug 8th 2003, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Nurse Training in Oz Questions - Updated

Hi there,

My missus has just (hopefully) done her 5th GSCE, thus enabling her to begin her Nurse Training here in the UK.

We were planning for her to start her N.T. here and believed that she could transfer to Oz to do the rest after completing her 1st year here.

So:

1. Is it true you can do this? and

2. If not, can she do her N.T. from scratch in Oz with 5 GSCE's or will she have to do some kind of entrance exam?

Andy.

Last edited by cadman; Aug 27th 2003 at 10:27 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
from what I can gather nurse training in Oz is degree level so your wife would need to fulfill the criteria for entrance to university. Nursing students aren't "paid" over there rather they have to pay course fees etc.
Personally if it was me I would do my training over here and then after 6-12 months experience look at moving to Oz then. Long process I know. Sorry

Claire
Old Aug 8th 2003, 12:33 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurse Training in Oz

Originally posted by cadman
Hi there,

My missus has just (hopefully) done her 5th GSCE, thus enabling her to begin her Nurse Training here in the UK.

We were planning for her to start her N.T. here and believed that she could transfer to Oz to do the rest after completing her 1st year here.

So:

1. Is it true you can do this? and

2. If not, can she do her N.T. from scratch in Oz with 5 GSCE's or will she have to do some kind of entrance exam?

Andy.

All adult education costs in Australia there are fees for every course even Nursing , so if you wish to pay I am sure you could .

Old Aug 8th 2003, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

paula m is an unknown quantity at this point

Nurse training over here is very expensive, I would suggest you do your training in the uk< while you await the migration process.
I gained my nursing Midwifery and health visiting qualification in the uk, and thank god I did as I could never afford to gain any qualifications in australia. The UK qualifications are also well respected. I am going to suggest to my kids that they live in the uk with their grandparents when they come of age if they indend to study for qualifications. Unless the situation changes here. the cost to become a doctor of do law is around $100,000.
Paula
Old Aug 8th 2003, 2:52 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by paula m
Nurse training over here is very expensive, I would suggest you do your training in the uk< while you await the migration process.
I gained my nursing Midwifery and health visiting qualification in the uk, and thank god I did as I could never afford to gain any qualifications in australia. The UK qualifications are also well respected. I am going to suggest to my kids that they live in the uk with their grandparents when they come of age if they indend to study for qualifications. Unless the situation changes here. the cost to become a doctor of do law is around $100,000.
Paula
You have it weighted up live off the refugee trade and then get your kids a free ride in the UK instead of paying your way here , I must say I see can a great future for you .

Old Aug 12th 2003, 2:31 am
Nutty Nurse

LondonNurse will become famous soon enoughLondonNurse will become famous soon enough

I'd agree with Paula and advise your wife to do her training in the UK and then go over to Australia. Your wife will be entitled to a bursary of £5232 in the UK ( I think ) although not a lot of money it certainly helps!

Also, what area of nursing is your wife thinking of doing?

Siobhan. RN
Old Aug 12th 2003, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by LondonNurse
I'd agree with Paula and advise your wife to do her training in the UK and then go over to Australia. Your wife will be entitled to a bursary of £5232 in the UK ( I think ) although not a lot of money it certainly helps!

Siobhan. RN
Hi Siobahn,

My wife would be doing Mental health.
She has worked in M.H. (all areas inc. challenging behaviour) as a care assistant on and off since leaving school with break for child rearing (she's now 29).

We want to go to OZ soon cos the kids are all primary school at the mo but want to get out there if poss b4 any of them go to High school (eldest is 9 in Sept.)

Andy.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 6:12 am
Nutty Nurse

LondonNurse will become famous soon enoughLondonNurse will become famous soon enough

Hiya

If your wife is worried about getting the training started b4 your eldest starts secondary school maybe she could apply now i.e for 2003 entry starting this sept.

I know for a fact that Coventry Uni and Kings College London accepts students right up until the week the course begins..not sure about the uni's in your area but it could be worth a try...

If you ring your local uni's direct, every week up until the course starts i'm sure you'd get a place...you've just gotta keep badgering them.

www.nmas.ac.uk is the nursing admissions site where you get applications from etc..

If you need any help just ask:-)

Siobhan
Old Aug 12th 2003, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Kamanchi is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar conversation the other day with my other half. She is starting her Midwife Training in Sept on a three year course. We were thinking of transfering after the first year but the cost would be to high.

Our plan is to do the three years here but lodge the application in the third year ready for when she qualifies. This all depends on if I can get assessed for my job and gain entry using myself as the main applicant.

If not it will be three years plus one for work experience (As long as its still on the express entry list)

It all seems such a long time away
Old Aug 12th 2003, 1:44 pm
Banned

Originally posted by LondonNurse

Siobhan. RN
So it amounts to the UK values nurses enough to pay them to train , where as Australia gives you sod all and makes you pay up.
Seems being a refugee is not all its cracked up to be.

Old Aug 12th 2003, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Kamanchi
I had a similar conversation the other day with my other half. She is starting her Midwife Training in Sept on a three year course. We were thinking of transfering after the first year but the cost would be to high.

Our plan is to do the three years here but lodge the application in the third year ready for when she qualifies. This all depends on if I can get assessed for my job and gain entry using myself as the main applicant.

If not it will be three years plus one for work experience (As long as its still on the express entry list)

It all seems such a long time away
As I say we want to get over there and settled before the kids go to high school, plus I'm 36 so if we wait until "the wife" has done her nurse training etc. then I'll be nearly 40!
Also, my wife is dyslexic so there are no guarentees that she will be able to complete the training.
She has done well to get her 5 GCSE's considering she couldn't read or write until she was 15.
Ultimately we are going to go ASAP and take it from there.
My job should hopefully pay enough to support us and she can always go back to being a care assistant, a job that she does enjoy, just the pay is crap.

Thanks for all the help though.

Andy.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 7:18 pm
Banned

As I say we want to get over there and settled before the kids go to high school, plus I'm 36 so if we wait until "the wife" has done her nurse training etc. then I'll be nearly 40!
Also, my wife is dyslexic so there are no guarentees that she will be able to complete the training.
She has done well to get her 5 GCSE's considering she couldn't read or write until she was 15.
Ultimately we are going to go ASAP and take it from there.
My job should hopefully pay enough to support us and she can always go back to being a care assistant, a job that she does enjoy, just the pay is crap.

Thanks for all the help though.

Andy.
You sound a nice couple so I am not trying to deflate your ballon any more but whats your employment .

Old Aug 12th 2003, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm a CAD drafter/ Civil Eng Technician PB
Old Aug 12th 2003, 7:22 pm
Banned

I'm a CAD drafter/ Civil Eng Technician PB
You should do well if you are coming to WA lots of jobs in construction Cad work around , no idea on pay but good luck.

Old Aug 12th 2003, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks mate.

Thinking of either WA or Brisbane/Newcastle.
CAD jobs apparently pay between 70 and 100k.
Should have approx. £90k from our house as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.