British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   nurse registration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/nurse-registration-711397/)

GAE Mar 30th 2011 3:56 am

nurse registration

Hi,
Has anyone out there been through the lengthy and confusing process of registering with the nursing and midwifery board here in Sydney. I have been living here for 3 years and after enjoying the beach life way too much - have decided to go back into the rat race. However, I cant get through to anybody at the nurse :frown::fingerscrossed:board and I have no idea what to do. I live in Seaforth and make a mean cuppa if anyone has any stirling advice to give.

Grayling Mar 30th 2011 3:58 am

Re: nurse registration

Originally Posted by GAE (Post 9273371)
Hi,
Has anyone out there been through the lengthy and confusing process of registering with the nursing and midwifery board here in Sydney. I have been living here for 3 years and after enjoying the beach life way too much - have decided to go back into the rat race. However, I cant get through to anybody at the nurse :frown::fingerscrossed:board and I have no idea what to do. I live in Seaforth and make a mean cuppa if anyone has any stirling advice to give.

Why not just go into the office in Sydney?....if you have the right documents you should be able to register over the counter

GAE Mar 30th 2011 4:25 am

No, unfortunately there is a lot of paperwork to complete. A standard English test and a load more. From the web site I have just been on - it could take about 6 months!! I wish I had known before I came. I could have done it all back in the UK. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do first.

Grayling Mar 30th 2011 4:26 am

Originally Posted by GAE (Post 9273408)
No, unfortunately there is a lot of paperwork to complete. A standard English test and a load more. From the web site I have just been on - it could take about 6 months!! I wish I had known before I came. I could have done it all back in the UK. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do first.

It's what I did when I registered......maybe things have changed

GAE Mar 30th 2011 4:28 am

when did u register?

It surely cant have changed that much. Maybe I am reading the wrong thing!

Grayling Mar 30th 2011 4:44 am

Originally Posted by GAE (Post 9273412)
when did u register?

It surely cant have changed that much. Maybe I am reading the wrong thing!

Probably about ten years ago so it could have changed.

I also registered over the counter in Queensland.

If you are near the city it may be worth popping in and asking....there is a registration counter where nurses re-register each year.

GAE Mar 30th 2011 4:46 am

Thanks I'm on it.

vickyandrob Mar 30th 2011 2:01 pm

Hi, it has all changed now and is a national registration body - APHRA, which is probably what you've been reading. If you go into the nursing section there's loads of posts on it now.

You now don't need to sit the IELTS if you can prove that your schooling and uni were taught in English, but it is a lengthy process, just read some of the posts in the nursing section.

I'm just waiting for one last statement of service then i'll be submitting mine - Good Luck!

Vicky

deb68 Mar 31st 2011 1:31 am

APHRA have just sent me my reminder to re register with them, it's due May. It can be done on line easily:)

vickyandrob Mar 31st 2011 7:50 am

Yes re-registering is, it's the initial registration process that has been taking up to 6 months :)

deb68 Mar 31st 2011 12:33 pm

I had to do the English test, i just pased dunno y:p

It is a long winded process but it is worth it in the end your problem is that you are already here, good luck with your adventure towards achieving registration.

GAE Mar 31st 2011 10:18 pm

Thanks for all of that - just downloaded the registration form. I think thats my weekend taken up - looks very longwinded. any advice from those that have recently completed it?:fingerscrossed:

cacwns Apr 6th 2011 12:41 pm

Hi

I lodged my application for registration (nursing) with APHRA at their office in Brisbane 1st week in October 2010 and was only registered 3 weeks ago. Even this was only after hubbie threatened to make formal complaint to Minister. All my paper work was submitted with application & I had done the IELTS. Biggest problem i had was actually getting them to look at application.