Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nurse looking to move to Aus

Nurse looking to move to Aus

Old Jul 31st 2016, 12:12 am
Just Joined

super mum will become famous soon enoughsuper mum will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Nurse looking to move to Aus

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I'm not sure I would be moving with a 12 year old if my only option were a 457. If you lose your job, you only have 90 days to find another employer able to sponsor you, or leave Australia. I also thought that NSW charged fees for students of 457 holders but I could be wrong.

Can you not get enough points for a PR visa? Remember you can take IELTS or similar to get up to 20 extra points, and there is 15 for a degree?
Thanx Sparkles but think that's my decision not yours!!!
Can't live your life by what ifs or by other people's circumstances!
Need to grab life as we can and live it as each individual wants to!!!
Old Jul 31st 2016, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by super mum
There is no need to be rude. OS was simply concerned as many people do not understand the 457 visa properly and believe it is a path to PR, which it is not.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 2:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
people do not understand the 457 visa properly and believe it is a path to PR, which it is not.
Although it can be

I know people who have done it

A friend of mine went from WHV to 457 to PR to citizen
Old Jul 31st 2016, 4:41 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by super mum
I understand that - I was just a little surprised that your only route is 457. As I asked, can you not get enough points for 189 or 190? I would have thought that even the 489 might be a better option since there is a definite path to PR.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
There is no need to be rude. OS was simply concerned as many people do not understand the 457 visa properly and believe it is a path to PR, which it is not.
Exactly.

If the only option is a 457 due to age, then there is a real risk that there will be no pathway to PR since to apply for PR after 50 I think you have to have completed all 4 years on the 457 at or above the high income threshold (not sure exactly how high that is but think it's somewhere around the $130k mark and rising - would be easily checked though).

ETA - just had a look at the requirements, and there is also the possibility of being sponsored under a labour agreement. More info here - Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) (under visa applicants tab)

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jul 31st 2016 at 4:55 am.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Although it can be

I know people who have done it

A friend of mine went from WHV to 457 to PR to citizen
Yes I am well aware of this, but it is not guaranteed. Hospitals might not be inclined to sponsor for permanent visas and that poster mentioned she was too old for skilled migration.