Reload this Page >

Nurse looking to move to Aus

Nurse looking to move to Aus

Old Jun 14th 2016, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

DREAMITLIVEIT2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurse looking to move to Aus

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think people are just trying to reset expectations, you seem to have only just accepted that you might not walk into a job and employers might not be falling over themselves in quite the way you initially seemed to think they would be. To be frank, you came across as somewhat arrogant in this regard. It is good you have confidence and be willing to market yourself in the interview scenario, at the same time a dollop of humility and modesty wouldn't go amiss with Aussies or on a forum!

As to nurses earning double, no idea where you get that from. I have never heard such a thing. My sister is a nurse with twenty plus years experience and she earns something like £30k, I realise a younger nurse would earn less. In Australia, I believe a nurse would earn something like $65-85k? This is not double by any stretch of the imagination. You are not confusing your $ and £ are you?

As for costs in Sydney, it has got nothing to do with supermarkets or eating out. It is about housing! My rent for a three bedroomed no pool house an hour out of the central business district was $1,300 per week, your entire salary would go on that.
I feel like ppl can read posts on here and take them in the wrong way. I am far from arrogant...I have never been described as that...determined maybe but never arrogant. I earn under 30k as a nurse in Scotland. In Aus the nursing agency quoted me $80 AUD plus unsociable pay would be on top of that. That's around £40,000 and currently that would be almost double my current wage so no I am not getting my dollars and pounds mixed up. I wasn't talking about Sydney...I have no desire to live there.

I get the feeling you are not allowed to have researched and be aware of these issues on this forum unless you live in Australia. I may not be living there but I can understand it. I have friends who are Aussies and British living in Australia and I have many conversations with them and my mum lived there for 16 years . All I was trying to say is there is no harm in having some positivity about moving to Australia and that I know I will find a job like my friends who went over as Nurses before me. I haven't said it would be "easy" only possible. I said there will be challenges and I am aware of the expensive living costs. I never once said I would "walk" in to a job....that doesn't happen in the UK never mind anywhere else. I was clearly stating I had good experience and qualifications which am sure will aid me in my job search.

This forum is meant to be a place you can seek advice and discuss prospects. So far all I have got is people basically saying.... there is a cut back on nursing jobs and its very expensive to live in Aus.... so tell me something I don't know. I have read a few good posts of people reporting the same feedback.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 9:31 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

An agency is quoting you $80k? They're having a laugh surely. Maybe $80k IF you manage to find full time hours. That salary also would be for a contract or agency position with no guarantee of hours, no security and for a nurse with a whole lot of years' experience.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
An agency is quoting you $80k? They're having a laugh surely. Maybe $80k IF you manage to find full time hours. That salary also would be for a contract or agency position with no guarantee of hours, no security and for a nurse with a whole lot of years' experience.
Yes they said with 5 years ICU experience and a post grad in critical care they said they would offer a salary around $80k for full time work. I am only quoting what they told me so maybe they are lying?

This was what he said in the email "For this position, I cannot state exactly what the salary would be, but based on your experience would be in the range of $75,000-80,000 approximately. Give or take. Work patterns would be 8 hour shift"

My friend works for an agency at present and gets paid $35 per hour which isn't bad but yes on 0 contract.

so what is an Nurse with say over 5 years experience in ICU with a post grad in critical care average salary?

Last edited by DREAMITLIVEIT2016; Jun 14th 2016 at 9:51 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DREAMITLIVEIT2016
I feel like ppl can read posts on here and take them in the wrong way. I am far from arrogant...I have never been described as that...determined maybe but never arrogant. I earn under 30k as a nurse in Scotland. In Aus the nursing agency quoted me $80 AUD plus unsociable pay would be on top of that. That's around £40,000 and currently that would be almost double my current wage so no I am not getting my dollars and pounds mixed up. I wasn't talking about Sydney...I have no desire to live there.

I get the feeling you are not allowed to have researched and be aware of these issues on this forum unless you live in Australia. I may not be living there but I can understand it. I have friends who are Aussies and British living in Australia and I have many conversations with them and my mum lived there for 16 years . All I was trying to say is there is no harm in having some positivity about moving to Australia and that I know I will find a job like my friends who went over as Nurses before me. I haven't said it would be "easy" only possible. I said there will be challenges and I am aware of the expensive living costs. I never once said I would "walk" in to a job....that doesn't happen in the UK never mind anywhere else. I was clearly stating I had good experience and qualifications which am sure will aid me in my job search.

This forum is meant to be a place you can seek advice and discuss prospects. So far all I have got is people basically saying.... there is a cut back on nursing jobs and its very expensive to live in Aus.... so tell me something I don't know. I have read a few good posts of people reporting the same feedback.
You are super arrogant and you don't want to hear anything other than you are going to be in great demand and it is cheap to live in Sydney. Find some humility. It will do you a world of good as you seem thorougly dislikable right now.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

You are super arrogant and you don't want to hear anything other than you are going to be in great demand and it is cheap to live in Sydney. Find some humility. It will do you a world of good as you seem thorougly dislikable right now.
I haven't said anywhere about it being cheap to live in Sydney? where have I said this? I am lost. I don't even want to live in Sydney because it is so expensive? I also never said I would be in great demand? I said finding a job wouldn't be easy but I am hoping to be successful!

I couldn't care less if you think I am arrogant or not as I have never been described as this my whole life and I know I am not. I really hope you are not an example of the type of person I would encounter on travels in Aus because that would just be so uncool. Maybe you should read back over my posts and you would realise not once did I say Sydney was cheap to live in nor did I ever once claim to be "in demand"...I wish!
Old Jun 14th 2016, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't said anywhere about it being cheap to live in Sydney? where have I said this? I am lost. I don't even want to live in Sydney because it is so expensive? I also never said I would be in great demand? I said finding a job wouldn't be easy but I am hoping to be successful!

I couldn't care less if you think I am arrogant or not as I have never been described as this my whole life and I know I am not. I really hope you are not an example of the type of person I would encounter on travels in Aus because that would just be so uncool. Maybe you should read back over my posts and you would realise not once did I say Sydney was cheap to live in nor did I ever once claim to be "in demand"...I wish!
Try reading your own thread. You have stated that you would be in demand numerous times. Somebody tells you that Sydney is expensive and you retort that you didn't find eating out too bad when you were on holiday.

You will not last two minutes in Australia because you are too stuck up and arrogant for your own good. Aussies don't like divas.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jun 14th 2016 at 10:18 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 10:23 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't taken the OP's comments or responses as arrogant, but we each read into things differently.

I think if you earn around $2.5 or so to the £1 then you will be able to enjoy a similar standard of living as you do now. So if you currently earn £20,000, then $50,000 will give you a similar standard of living.

Whether $50,000 will be "enough" to live in Sydney or Melbourne - I suspect not, but I don't think that £20,000 would be enough to have much of a life in the UK either, unless you didn't have to pay rent or mortgage, for instance.

BB
Old Jun 14th 2016, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Try reading your own thread. You have stated that you would be in demand numerous times. Somebody tells you that Sydney is expensive and you retort that you didn't find eating out too bad when you were on holiday.

You will not last two minutes in Australia because you are too stuck up and arrogant for your own good. Aussies don't like divas.

See I never mentioned Sydney or the word cheap. I was in Melbourne when I said the petrol prices, eating out and supermarket weren't too bad. I said I was surprised I came back with spending money. I haven't ever been to Sydney.

I am stuck up and a Diva....love it. I am the most down to earth person you could ever meet. You don't exactly know me to judge me on anything. All I have done was come on here and ask a few questions. I got on very well in Australia the times I have been and some of my best friends are Australians. I find that so funny you think I wouldn't last 2 minutes. You are now trying to insult me and attack my so called "Diva"personality and judge me over a internet forum. Now who is the Diva here ? This is clearly not the forum for helpful and friendly advice.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I haven't taken the OP's comments or responses as arrogant, but we each read into things differently.

I think if you earn around $2.5 or so to the £1 then you will be able to enjoy a similar standard of living as you do now. So if you currently earn £20,000, then $50,000 will give you a similar standard of living.

Whether $50,000 will be "enough" to live in Sydney or Melbourne - I suspect not, but I don't think that £20,000 would be enough to have much of a life in the UK either, unless you didn't have to pay rent or mortgage, for instance.

BB
Thanks, Yeah I earn just under 30k but I recently got a promotion to a band 6 about 8 weeks ago...most nurses are on around £21-26k as a band 5 in Scotland. Nurses historically are paid rubbish I guess ...mon the Nurses!. Yeah so where do all the nurses that work in Melbourne live ? I have looked up some nursing jobs advertised and from what I can see they are averaging at $65.000 but some are up to $90 depending on experience. So if I lived in Melbourne on say on $65k wage would that not be enough? My friend did a apartment share and paid $250 a week on her wages so with my husbands wage combined we would prob look to pay around $450 a week rent somewhere for a 2 bed?
Old Jun 14th 2016, 10:47 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Nurse looking to move to Aus

Thanks, Yeah I earn just under 30k but I recently got a promotion to a band 6 about 8 weeks ago...most nurses are on around £21-26k as a band 5 in Scotland. Nurses historically are paid rubbish I guess ...mon the Nurses!. Yeah so where do all the nurses that work in Melbourne live ? I have looked up some nursing jobs advertised and from what I can see they are averaging at $65.000 but some are up to $90 depending on experience. So if I lived in Melbourne on say on $65k wage would that not be enough? My friend did a apartment share and paid $250 a week on her wages so with my husbands wage combined we would prob look to pay around $450 a week rent somewhere for a 2 bed?
I know 3 nurses and they all live with their husbands so the family is on 2 wages. One of them is an Neonatal nurse and she also seems to pick up contract work with companies like National Patient Transport, so this might be an option to explore.

$65000 is quite a low wage for a professional in Melbourne, but a lot of people manage on less! It would buy you around the same as £26,000 in the UK, but Melbourne is much more like London than Scotland for house prices.

BB
Old Jun 15th 2016, 12:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

This is clearly not the forum for helpful and friendly advice.
Yes it is, honestly. However as with any public forum you will get happy, positive stuff up against the truly honest and the downright negative. You take what you want from every style and check it all out. If you don't want any negative then just skim over it. Try not to take offense at what someone says to you, they don't know you other than how you portray yourself and what info you give them and the same goes for them, it doesn't mean anything - we're all just random cyber people .

You're posting in the Australia board which is less 'technical' and more 'personal opinion' than the Immi board but you're also presumably getting the technical from the Nursing board so you're covering all bases.

Good luck with it anyway.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I was over in Aus recently-the supermarket prices are high but the nurses wage is more than double in Aus-well compared to mine and I actually found it not too bad-eg eating out and petrol was a good price too.I actually came back home with money to spare and was very surprised!

PS)I feel it's not very friendly around this forum. I get it's not easy to find work in Aus and it's expensive. It's not easy to find work in Scotland as a Nurse and loads of ppl apply for each post here too. I mean it must be such a tough life living in such a horrible, ugly, miserable place called Australia. I am under no illusion its not all rainbows and dreams coming true but people are searching for a new adventure, new cultures and I think it's a brave thing for people to do.
Not friendly on this forum?? Well perhaps not quite the favourable answers you would prefer to read that would enhance your take on the situation. I'm afraid it's not Facebook either where positives usually dictate responses. No more are prepared to say it as it is.

It may well be more money than Scotland, but try living in Sydney and increasingly so on such wages in those cities. It is increasingly difficult for those in any sort of service to live in a decent location. Fact being we have some of the most expensive cities in the world. To buy, rent to go out on. Yes it is tough for an increasingly large number of people. Sorry to shatter illusions built up but I have been witness to three social agencies in two months sacking social workers, psychologists, councillors one even their CEO all within a narrow time frame. A lot of suffering imposed with those cuts with jobs so scarce. In some cases a complete lack of humanity is how I would term the way a number were let go. Some are indeed looking to relocate overseas.

The only cure is for you to come over and try it for yourself. It sounds like you are young enough to make it an adventure as a possible back packer type experience.

It is not only getting a job in your area it will be the hours needed to be acquired to enable living here. Nothing wrong with giving it a go. Just good to be warned things are seldom what they appear.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 3:54 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

OP has said many times she is not hoping to move to Sydney so can we move along.

For OP, I don't know if you've found it yet but there is a section for job vacancies in Australia - Australia Jobs - British Expats

A poster there - Genorm http://britishexpats.com/forum/members/genorm-216213/ - might be able to offer some advice re nursing jobs.

He sometimes posts in the nursing section too.

As for cost of living - everyone's is different and some areas are more expensive than others (the same the world over ) I was earning considerably more than you in the UK although living nearer London, and my current wage is similar to what you would expect to get given the figures quoted, and we manage fine although we are in one of the cheapest states I think (in terms of house buying anyway).

When you figure out what areas you want to head for, Realestate.com can give you ideas of housing costs both renting and buying, and online shopping at Coles or Woolworths can give you some idea of food costs.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I know 3 nurses and they all live with their husbands so the family is on 2 wages. One of them is an Neonatal nurse and she also seems to pick up contract work with companies like National Patient Transport, so this might be an option to explore.

$65000 is quite a low wage for a professional in Melbourne, but a lot of people manage on less! It would buy you around the same as £26,000 in the UK, but Melbourne is much more like London than Scotland for house prices.

BB
Thank you! I honestly live well on my wage in Scotland. I own my own home, I drive a nice car and I live 10 mins from work and 15 mins from the city centre so I don't expect to have all the same things in Melbs. There must be people living on a less wage than a nurse and live in melbourne though? Like bar workers and non registered hospital workers?clerical staff? call centre staff? in Scotland all these types of jobs pay less than a nurse. Anyway I am going to keep looking and gathering information. Thanks again for your help!
Old Jun 15th 2016, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Not friendly on this forum?? Well perhaps not quite the favourable answers you would prefer to read that would enhance your take on the situation. I'm afraid it's not Facebook either where positives usually dictate responses. No more are prepared to say it as it is.

It may well be more money than Scotland, but try living in Sydney and increasingly so on such wages in those cities.

The only cure is for you to come over and try it for yourself. It sounds like you are young enough to make it an adventure as a possible back packer type experience.
I have already pointed out I don't want to live in Sydney as I have a few friends who lived there and struggled.

I am in my early 30s so not young anymore. I have already done the backpacking holiday to Aus and loved it.... I am looking to move over permanently now. Yeah that isn't very nice to do that to employees I will keep all this in mind. Thanks for your advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.