£10 Poms

Old Dec 12th 2013, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

uclan student is an unknown quantity at this point
Default £10 Poms

Hey All

My name is Robert, I am currently studying for a masters in publishing at UCLan. As part of my final project I am producing a book focusing on the personal stories of the £10 migrants from 1946-1982.

I am using this forum in an attempt to reach out to anyone who has such a story and would be willing to have it published. I would be truly grateful for any help or assistance in this matter. I have also created a Facebook page entitled 'ten pound pom book uclan' if users would alternatively like to post on that.
I have made contact with many of the museums in Australia, but I would ideally prefer to harness, as yet, undocumented stories as I am hoping to collect anecdotes and other insightful tales to give the book a more homely feel

many thanks

Last edited by Sue; Dec 13th 2013 at 2:22 am. Reason: I am aware of this post. OP has been ok'd to post it.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: £10 Poms

Originally Posted by uclan student
Hey All

My name is Robert, I am currently studying for a masters in publishing at UCLan. As part of my final project I am producing a book focusing on the personal stories of the £10 migrants from 1946-1982.

I am using this forum in an attempt to reach out to anyone who has such a story and would be willing to have it published. I would be truly grateful for any help or assistance in this matter. I have also created a Facebook page entitled 'ten pound pom book uclan' if users would alternatively like to post on that.
I have made contact with many of the museums in Australia, but I would ideally prefer to harness, as yet, undocumented stories as I am hoping to collect anecdotes and other insightful tales to give the book a more homely feel

many thanks
any chance you can include a section for disgruntled migrants who found that, due to inflation that the price was more like the tonne: closer to Gbp 1,000?
Old Dec 15th 2013, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know they had 10 pound migrants in 1980 ?

I arrived in 1980.... Cost me 100's
Old Dec 15th 2013, 8:41 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I didn't know they had 10 pound migrants in 1980 ?

I arrived in 1980.... Cost me 100's
According to this the amount was increased to £75 in 1973, but the scheme did finish in 1982
Old Dec 15th 2013, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
According to this the amount was increased to £75 in 1973, but the scheme did finish in 1982
You definitely had to have a trade or other specific reason for migration back in 1980. You couldn't just up and come... I actually had a banned from Aus Sticker in my passport back in 1978.... well that was the gist of it.... I also had a hell of lot of football related problems with the law at that time... Lucky I never ended up inside, most of my mates did..

Something to do with applying to stay on whilst on holiday here and breaking the terms of that holiday visa back in 76/77.... I went to the immigration dept here in Melbourne whilst on holiday with my then brand new Aus GF of about 5 weeks... and they granted me 6 months as long as we were married at the end of that 6 months... I reluctantly went back as I had things to finalise in the UK and it wasn't fair to my parents, plus it was a hell of a lot of pressure on us and figured we could do with some time out and work out how we felt.... Applied to come back for a working holiday and got a big no no sticker in the Passport... My new Aus GF came to the UK instead and we lived together in Peckham for about 18 months before getting married, then applied to come back and I got in on a spouse visa.... 35 years later we are still together.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 15th 2013 at 8:28 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

uclan student is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
any chance you can include a section for disgruntled migrants who found that, due to inflation that the price was more like the tonne: closer to Gbp 1,000?
Hi all thanks for replying

Sorry, was using the non-technical term £10 poms, the price did seem to fluctuate over the years, however I'm not focusing on the historical specifics, the book is aimed to relay specific 'pom' tales and experiences. Subsequently a disgruntled Pom section would be fitting and if you would like to write it or could provide details regarding it then please get in touch via e-mail. Any personal stories or experiences no matter what the content would be greatly appreciated. the banned from Australia tale sounds like something I could certainly use. Many thanks
Rob
Old Dec 17th 2013, 2:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Our neighbour and friend came here in 1969 as a 19 year old. He was not a 10 pound Pom but turned up under his own steam as he had been travelling through Asia. On arrival on a flight from Singapore, the customs guy asked if he wanted a permanent or temporary stamp in his passport - no other questions asked

I've spoken to other Poms who arrived in the early '70s who did this too
Old Dec 17th 2013, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
You definitely had to have a trade or other specific reason for migration back in 1980. You couldn't just up and come... I actually had a banned from Aus Sticker in my passport back in 1978.... well that was the gist of it.... I also had a hell of lot of football related problems with the law at that time... Lucky I never ended up inside, most of my mates did..

Something to do with applying to stay on whilst on holiday here and breaking the terms of that holiday visa back in 76/77.... I went to the immigration dept here in Melbourne whilst on holiday with my then brand new Aus GF of about 5 weeks... and they granted me 6 months as long as we were married at the end of that 6 months... I reluctantly went back as I had things to finalise in the UK and it wasn't fair to my parents, plus it was a hell of a lot of pressure on us and figured we could do with some time out and work out how we felt.... Applied to come back for a working holiday and got a big no no sticker in the Passport... My new Aus GF came to the UK instead and we lived together in Peckham for about 18 months before getting married, then applied to come back and I got in on a spouse visa.... 35 years later we are still together.
Back in the early 80,s it was much like today in that you had to have a trade that was of benefit to Australia, as ozzieeagle stated. My old man had a cousin in Brisbane and when I was about 10 years old we were going to emigrate. The old man was a coal miner at the time but had a job lined up with his cousin in real estate (pity that didnt work out he done well out of it). Australia would accept him as a coal miner but not in real estate as the locals could do that job. We ended up staying in the UK as the old man wanted out of the mines. Thats probably where I had the interest and desire to move to OZ in later years.