NSW Driving license query

NSW Driving license query

Old Jul 18th 2015, 1:40 am
Just Joined

imfrombath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NSW Driving license query

Hi all,

Got a question about driving in NSW.

So from what I understand, I can drive in NSW for three months on an international license before requiring a local license. I should qualify under the reciprocal agreement with UK to get a license and be exempt from taking tests, and possibly to transfer over my NCB...

But here's the thing. I was foolish enough a few years back to have acquired a DUI endorsement on my U.K. License. So my question is: Can I just go through the normal procedure, take a test here and get a fresh license? Perhaps the insurer may still accept my NCB, but ultimately I will have no endorsement in my AU license?

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 10:24 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NSW Driving license query

Originally Posted by imfrombath
Hi all,

So from what I understand, I can drive in NSW for three months on an international license before requiring a local license. I should qualify under the reciprocal agreement with UK to get a license and be exempt from taking tests, and possibly to transfer over my NCB...

But here's the thing. I was foolish enough a few years back to have acquired a DUI endorsement on my U.K. License. So my question is: Can I just go through the normal procedure, take a test here and get a fresh license? Perhaps the insurer may still accept my NCB, but ultimately I will have no endorsement in my AU license?

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks.
Unless you have an Australian conviction for DUI, I can't see a problem as many Australians that have had DUI convictions (some multiple) and most get their licence back eventually unless they are habitual drink-drivers, but just to be on the safe side you really should contact Roads and Maritime Services. Contact - Roads and Maritime Services
Information you might find helpful Moving to NSW - Licence - Roads - Roads and Maritime Services
Old Jul 19th 2015, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks.
If by NCB you mean No Claims Bonus I am not aware of being able to transfer that from another country but more importantly it is not related to your licence. You could try and get a licence from scratch here in NSW but I think you have to go through the whole process which takes 4 years (displaying different plates).
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Most Insurers have accepted a UK NCB in the past.

Most people, when getting an Australian licence transfer do not have any endorsements carried over. Mine weren't.

You can drive in NSW for three months on your UK licence (an international license is only an English translation of a foreign licence) while you are getting your NSW license.

If you’re a permanent Australian resident, or hold a permanent visa under the Commonwealth Migration Act 1958, and you intend to stay in NSW, you are not considered to be a visitor. As such, you are allowed to drive in NSW on a current overseas licence for a maximum of three months. After that, you will need to apply for a NSW licence to continue driving or riding.

Visitors are allowed to use their overseas licence while their visitor visa is valid.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:57 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks.
Insofar as getting a "fresh" licence is concerned I think you'll find that one of the questions in the licence application is "Have you ever held a driving licence elsewhere?".
Old Jul 20th 2015, 4:02 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks.

What do you mean by a 'Fresh' licence? You just take your UK licence - assuming it is not currently suspended - along to the RMS, fill in the form, pay the fee and they will give you a shiny new NSW licence.

Unless you have received points while driving on your UK licence in NSW, then any UK licence points will not carry across.

S
Old Jul 20th 2015, 4:07 am
Just Joined

imfrombath is an unknown quantity at this point

So essentially, I may as well just transfer over my U.K. License as would be expected. Was hoping to try and find a way to have my DD + points not transferred to a new AU license, however I guess this is an unavoidable circumstance of my past mistakes.

My premiums aren't very kind at the moment and still have a year until I can rent vehicles. Is proving quite challenging with getting about to furnish an apartment etc.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 4:15 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

So essentially, I may as well just transfer over my U.K. License as would be expected. Was hoping to try and find a way to have my DD + points not transferred to a new AU license, however I guess this is an unavoidable circumstance of my past mistakes.

My premiums aren't very kind at the moment and still have a year until I can rent vehicles. Is proving quite challenging with getting about to furnish an apartment etc.

Your UK points won't transfer over. The only time points associated with a UK licence are added is when you have gained points while driving on your UK licence in NSW, as they will create an 'imprint' of your UK licnece as a placeholder for the points, in case you ever go on to gain a NSW licence.

You should be fine.

S
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:03 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Your UK points won't transfer over. The only time points associated with a UK licence are added is when you have gained points while driving on your UK licence in NSW, as they will create an 'imprint' of your UK licnece as a placeholder for the points, in case you ever go on to gain a NSW licence.

You should be fine.

S
I agree.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

When I got my insurance, they gave me credits for a NCD I had in the UK. It isn't compulsory for them to do so, so shop around.