Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NSW driving license

NSW driving license

Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:49 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light
Default NSW driving license

When I change my driving license over are there similar categories to those in the UK? will I still be able to ride a scooter, pull a trailor and drive a 7.5 tonne truck?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:23 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future
Default Re: NSW driving license

I have no idea.

Try this
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:27 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, I found that this morning.

Its the classes that are confusing:
C = Car
R = Rider

BUT will I also get the LR rights? seeing as I have up to 7.5 tonne in the UK:
A Light Rigid 'Class LR' covers a rigid vehicle with a GVM of more than 4.5 tonnes but not more than 8 tonnes. Any towed trailer must not weigh more than 9 tonnes GVM. Also includes vehicles with a GVM up to 8 tonnes which carry more than 12 adult including the driver and vehicles in class 'C'.

Last edited by MarkMC; Aug 12th 2008 at 10:30 am.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:31 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Local paper yesterday:

One man fined $400 for driving and never held a licence.

Another fined $390 for failing to change to e NSW licence within the three month grace period. (It *does* happen <g>)
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:37 am
mmmmmm duff

Cheers Wol, I will be changing the license asap, I will be gettin grid of 3 points from the UK and picking up the demerit point(s?) from the holiday.

I assume I will change to a car license:
Car
A 'Class C' licence covers vehicles up to 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass (GVM)
GVM is the maximum recommended weight a vehicle can be when loaded.
A 'Class C' Licence allows you to drive cars, utilities, vans, some light trucks, car-based motor tricycles, tractors and implements such as graders.
You can also drive vehicles that seat up to 12 adults, including the driver.

No mention of a moped/scooter - so I guess there is an extra test before I can get one for the commute?

EDIT:
this looks helpful
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...classes_06.pdf